Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Life gets in the way!
renrut

posted on 14/2/16 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Life gets in the way!

Hey all,

I'm not sure how many people on here would remember me but the usual story of a small person arriving combined with promotion to a more responsible job cut short a lot of my 'free' time. So to recap I bought an MG midget in a very sorry state about 4 years ago after wasting 2 years previous to that on a bike engined rwd Seicento project (not the yellow one that keeps tempting me on Ebay mind!).

I'm posting now as I'm about a month off getting the Midget its first MOT in about 20 years!

It now sports a 1400 K series engine from a more trouble than its worth Metro GTi and rebuilt 5 speed sierra box (still feels like a wooden spoon in a bucket of bolts) and keeps the live axle and dubious suspension. So it has a lot in common with Locosts

I've been quietly beavering away on spare days off for the last 4 years, in between nappy changes, tantrums and working away and then working like a garage ninja in the spare evenings too as the garage is directly below my son's room!

After 4 long years I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and its not due to more tinworm (there was a lot). It still looks crap but I can sort the cosmetics once its roadworthy!

Plan is track days and sunny days which I'll hopefully see a few of this year!

Why are all the fun things in life expensive!

LBMEFM

posted on 15/2/16 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Why the hell do we do this to ourselves, working in freezing garages, throwing money at projects while trying to keep the family happy. Still it's worth it in the end, I think! Good luck with the Midgets MOT.
nick205

posted on 15/2/16 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Best of luck with the MoT.

Life certainly changes, I sold my MK Indy after going from 1 to 3 kids when we had twins 2nd time around

tegwin

posted on 15/2/16 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
keep talking gents.... this is the best contraception I have heard in a while.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nick205

posted on 15/2/16 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
keep talking gents.... this is the best contraception I have heard in a while.....

Hehehehehe - I can see the sense in this!

We planned to have 2 kids, not 3 (they're great, but 3 kids and 2 parents is a bit of a task!).

ravingfool

posted on 15/2/16 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

+1

mcerd1

posted on 15/2/16 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Just heard a friend of a friend the other day who has 2 boys (about 5 & 3) had just found out that they were having an unplanned 3rd - except it turns out the bump is twin boys

-

renrut

posted on 15/2/16 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my midget 2 months before I found out she was expecting :O

My brother clearly planned ahead though and is still restoring an elan +2. Mind you I could buy 2 midgets for the price of his rear suspension.

nick205

posted on 15/2/16 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
Just heard a friend of a friend the other day who has 2 boys (about 5 & 3) had just found out that they were having an unplanned 3rd - except it turns out the bump is twin boys

Now 2 to 4 is just showing off

renrut

posted on 15/2/16 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

Now 2 to 4 is just showing off

That sounds like a massive handful!

Bluemoon

posted on 15/2/16 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think once your over 3 the next ones makes little difference?

BUT 2 is more than enough for us ;( We managed to build the kit before they arrived

Nickp

posted on 15/2/16 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ey'up Will!! Glad to see the Midget's finally getting there, good luck with the MOT mate

Not sure if you've seen but I've been busy on the Haynes too. Coming along quite nicely

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=198679

garyt

posted on 15/2/16 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
good luck with the mot,
no "horror stories" myself but my dad was posted to Germany (RAF) in the 50's and on his return went and put a deposit down on a lotus 7 arrived home for mum to tell him "I" was on my way so I DID the spoiling he hee, mind you not sure he has ever forgiven me......

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

renrut

posted on 15/2/16 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the MOT luck - I'm going to need it!

Hey nick, I heard you were making good progress from Lewis when he collected an engine from you for his e30. I haven't been following any build diaries, it would have made me frustrated that I couldn't get more done. I'm hoping to get to one of Franks track days this year too.

Nickp

posted on 16/2/16 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah Lewis's E30 is a nice thing, had a couple of goes out in it at Blyton. Should be even better once he gets his M52B30 built and installed

I've done Blyton in a different car each time (Z4 3.0 next month) but that should settle down once the Haynes is built

JohnH

posted on 16/2/16 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I've been building my Aries for god knows how long. With 4 kids, trying to do a house up, self employed and not having a garage, so I have a container, but it's 10miles from home with no electricity (use a Jenny)...... Have thought about selling up a few times. Then you get a good run at it, when it's a bit warmer. Then you feel a lot better. Should be finished by the time I retire HOPEFULLY 😬
Irony

posted on 16/2/16 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Great thing about this hobby is you can just shut the door and leave it for a few days. I had a kid and renovated a house and moved into a new house during my build. If the missus moans about garage time I say my hobby before the car was chasing girls, so I could sell it and revert. If that fails I insist on watching wheeler dealers. She then asks me to go.

Good to hear of another car nearly OTR

nick205

posted on 16/2/16 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Great thing about this hobby is you can just shut the door and leave it for a few days. I had a kid and renovated a house and moved into a new house during my build. If the missus moans about garage time I say my hobby before the car was chasing girls, so I could sell it and revert. If that fails I insist on watching wheeler dealers. She then asks me to go.

Good to hear of another car nearly OTR

Nice! Make the past sound dreadful and the future could be rosy

I was lucky enough to have got most of my Indy done before we moved house and had kids. The lack of sleep slowed me down for a while, but he got to sleeping through quickly and I was back in the garage building. Things is now I look back we could have opted for a 4th bedroom over a garage, but who was to know we'd have twins

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.