Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which fun tintop for 2k?
sdh2903

posted on 24/10/13 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Which fun tintop for 2k?

I know there are probably a few threads like this, but, as I'm crap with the search function I've started this one.

As i'm trying to clean up my finances my Focus ST is going (i think) and with what I owe on the drip I will clear a few quid. I'm looking for options for a cheap fun tintop for around 2k, although i would stretch a little for a goodun.

Requirements:

-Has to have 4 seats, but I can cope with 2 doors, ideally not a supermini
-Reasonably quick/fun
-Not astronomical to insure
-MPG not a major issue, i cope with low 20's with the Foci

Cars I've had in the past that wouldnt consider again to discount:

-pug 206/306gti
-clio 182
-saxo VTS/106 GTI

Stuff ive been looking at: (again all comments welcome)

-E39 5 series
-E46 3 series (330i/330d)
-Skoda octavia VRS
-Focus ST170
-Mondeo ST220

So LCB massive, any suggestions?

PSpirine

posted on 24/10/13 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
THIS ONE. (Shameless plug, although technically it fits ALL of your criteria and is less than half the price of your limit)

1997 E36 BMW 328i Cabrio Auto. Red like a Ferrari not a Batmobile. Private Plate

sdh2903

posted on 24/10/13 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Does that include delivery to glasgow

To be honest I've always fancied an e36 328 but they all seem very tired and suffer with the dreaded tin worm

PSpirine

posted on 24/10/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
If I had some trade plates, yes I could deliver it

It's not mint this one but really is a very tidy example. I've seen a fair few E36's which were abused and modded to within an inch of their life, and this definitely isn't one of them.

Mind you, if you've got £2k to spend, in all honesty, you can do much better than the red thunder!

waggy

posted on 24/10/13 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't mind the mpg then I'd say an RX8 is what you're after. They are a lot of car for the money and quite fun to drive. Very revvy and tbh the issues they have are all well documented online, most things are DIY . Just get a compression test done before you buy one. If they test ok then you won't have any major issues.
They are so well finished inside, you will find it hard to believe you can pick up a really nice 2005 example for under £2k and have change to pay your insurance.
4 seats rear opening doors.
The leather interior is the one to go for, looks great and is hard wearing.
I can't recommend one highly enough, Was my daily drive for a year until last month when I just couldn't afford to run one every day so I have a VW bor(ing)a tdi for everyday and my dad bought the Rex off me so I can still drive it when I want..... Win win and freed up some funds to build my 7

JoelP

posted on 24/10/13 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
My a6 2.7t quattro is still for sale, 1700 now it has a compete set of brakes Inc refurbed callipers. It's 250bhp and still gets 22mpg.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

sdh2903

posted on 24/10/13 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
My a6 2.7t quattro is still for sale, 1700 now it has a compete set of brakes Inc refurbed callipers. It's 250bhp and still gets 22mpg.

Any more info, pics or a link?

coyoteboy

posted on 24/10/13 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Get a proper fun car, a Celica GT4 (ST205). You might find it hard to get for 2K but not impossible.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/10/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Fiat Coupe 20VT. Quicker than anything on your list (including the ST220), surprisingly good on fuel (30mpg from mine on my daily commute) and very practical for a coupe.
mark chandler

posted on 24/10/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
XJR
stevebubs

posted on 24/10/13 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
-E39 5 series
-Mondeo ST220

Both the above get my vote but I think, prior to the Mk 4, the mondeo is a bit lacking...

Add to this list the E34 V8....

Big engined Jag would also be up there...?

[Edited on 24/10/13 by stevebubs]

loggyboy

posted on 25/10/13 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Its a little off the budget but at the very bottom of the market, with patience and luck for about 3k you could pick a clio 197. It is a great car, not too similar to the 182 to be samey, but if you enjoyed that, which I hooe you did, you will certainly love the newer version.

Mistral Motorsport

dhutch

posted on 25/10/13 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirineShameless plug, although technically it fits ALL of your criteria and is less than half the price of your limit...

Picked up my E36 1.6l compact, in red, for 650quid. That's nearly 1/4 of the budget, and not a soft top, but while it not a power house its good fun.

What about a Legnum Vr4? Not had one myself, possibly not overly practical on running costs, but always loved the looks.

Daniel

JoelP

posted on 25/10/13 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Any more info, pics or a link?

I've bumped it back to the top of the for sale section.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ettore bugatti

posted on 27/10/13 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Any preference for diesel or petrol?

Meganes 225 are about to get into that price range.

Although you might want the one with Cup chassis, 230bhp spec engine and LSD which end you up at the wrong end of 6 grand, great if you fancy a bit of man logics

A E36 328i might be an better starting point if you like to spice up your car yourselves (engine tuning, suspension). A E46 non-M has limited tuning possibilities compared to an E36.

Having said that, I quite like my E46 323i.
Surely, not the fastest E46 but that straight six makes the driving experiences so sweet and effortless, but still returns 34mpg. They aren't bombproof, but the issues are well-known as are their fixes.

A Volvo S60 T5, Lexus IS200 and an Alfa 156 v6 are very desirable saloons, worth a look.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.