Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY inlet manifold Blacktop
Fandango

posted on 8/11/15 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
DIY inlet manifold Blacktop

Hi all.

We are now going ahead with the blacktop transplant in our Locost, just bought a complete Focus, for the princely sum of £75!

Anyway was looking for an inlet manifold for use with bike carbs, and came across this DIY option;

ZETEC KITCAR INLET MANIFOLD KIT SUIT LOCOST SEVEN TYPE CARS FOR 41-45mm CARBS

Has anyone here used this, as it looks like quite a saving on the Bogg Bros part?

Cheers

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

rusty nuts

posted on 8/11/15 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I made my own for my flow engine using some 12mm ally plate cut to shape using a coping saw and ally scrap for a lot less
fazerruss

posted on 8/11/15 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an ST 170 manifold for sale which is perfect for bike carbs or throttle bodies.

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

Fandango

posted on 8/11/15 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
I've got an ST 170 manifold for sale which is perfect for bike carbs or throttle bodies.

Would you u2u me the price for this, please?

Cheers

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

SJ

posted on 8/11/15 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I made a steel manifold for unmodified zx6 carbs on a Zetec which was OK. By far the best option is to just mount them as they are mounted on the bike. The downside of this is you need to get the carbs respaced [you'll need to do this for the ST manifold as well]. The only difficult bit about respacing the carbs is lengthening the fuel connections as you need someone with a lathe to turn the parts for you. It's just a bit of ali pipe that needs grooves for O rings.

I mounted the original respaced carbs on ZX6 rubbers to a piece of 5mm ali plate cut to fit the Zetec ports. The bike rubbers are about £20 second hand on ebay. A piece of ali plate costs about a tenner.

By fititng this way you have a proper mount for the carbs that won't leak with vacuum take offs for balancing.

If you look in my photo archive [under my old username, Whitestu] in the Zetec folder you can see what they look like.

Stu

[Edited on 8/11/15 by SJ]

Neilwilson

posted on 9/11/15 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
The ST170 manifold is a simple solution but there are several pros/cons when using on a standard blacktop. Port dimesions/height being the main issue. You can remove the bolt grommets to lower it slightly. Not sure how much of an impact it would make to performance etc.
I was going to use one until I replaced engine choice.

The below link was quite useful for throttle bodies.

http://www.mez.co.uk/ms10-new.html

Fandango

posted on 11/11/15 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the input guys.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.