Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weather forecast - Rant.i
LBMEFM

posted on 4/11/16 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
Weather forecast - Rant.i

Seven day weather forecasts, what's the point. Being an ex seaman I realise the importance of accurate short term weather forecasts. However, what is the point of the seven day forecasts such as the BBC's online one. Until I recently retired I ran a small building company and if we say considered opening up a roof I would check the weather for a good day, invariably it would be wrong, in fact over the course of six months I compared forecast for five days ahead and on 7 out of 10 occasions it was different to the forecast. This Saturday I am driving at Lydden Hill, on Monday the forecast for Saturday was full sun by Tuesday it was going to be cloudy, Thursdays was rain in the afternoon and today it's gone back sunny in the morning and a cloudy afternoon. Again what is the point of the 7 day forecast, I would suggest the Met Office ask for a refund on their £94 million pound super computer I believe they recently purchased. ( Rant over)
cliftyhanger

posted on 4/11/16 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
The point of the forecast is to give the general public something to talk about, and that would not happen if the forecasts were accurate.
joneh

posted on 4/11/16 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe that's one reason the bbc have not renewed their met office contract!
02GF74

posted on 4/11/16 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Find a spider in your garden. They will never, or hardly ever, build a net when its going to rain. They usually build one early in the morning so you have weather predicted for the rest of the day. Not much use in winter when they hibernate and only applies to the immediate vicinity.

Also the flying ants, the day they appear guarantees a dry day but can only be used to predict one or two days a year.

F@@k knows how many spiders 95 million would buy.

[Edited on 4/11/16 by 02GF74]

r1_pete

posted on 4/11/16 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
£94M Super Computer or £50 Tablet, put garbage in you get garbage out.....

In this case its probably the analytical software was developed in some emerging country where staff work for next to nothing.

You need one of these:

weatherstone
weatherstone

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 4/11/16 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
The basic problem is that Britain's weather is very unpredictable, and even the best forecasters struggle. Their biggest mistake (IMHO) is trying to do a a 7-day forecast, when even 24 hours is difficult.

I have the Accuweather app on my phone & tablet - they get their data from a different source to the met office. I usually compare the two to get an answer! Accuweather is also available on-line. I also look at Will It Rain Today? and make my own guess about whether there's rain on the way in my neighbourhood (the most accurate method in the short term).

JC

posted on 4/11/16 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
The trouble also stems from the fact that the 'big computer' that the met office uses doesn't seem to take into account 'local effects'. Here in Lincolnshire, whenever there is a westerly, we are in a 'rain shadow'. When the BBC muddy puddles forecast shows rain, we rarely get it!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 4/11/16 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Are you beyond hacked off?

It's the weather, it's difficult to predict. Sometimes it rains sometimes it doesn't.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Slimy38

posted on 4/11/16 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I was once told that the 7 day forecasts now are as accurate as the 24 hour forecasts were twenty years ago, so that is a reasonably good guide on what several million pounds worth of computer gets you!

I remember when forecasts were 'sun with a bit of cloud and a chance of rain or snow'. Basically they didn't know so they covered all bases!!

mcerd1

posted on 4/11/16 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
that new computer is only just meant to have started running in September (if it wasn't delayed) and isn't meant to be at full capacity until sometime in 2017....

so basically £97m or not we are still using the old one for a while yet

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I remember when forecasts were 'sun with a bit of cloud and a chance of rain or snow'. Basically they didn't know so they covered all bases!!

down south that would mean they didn't know - in the west highlands thats a normal day in May

-

Irony

posted on 4/11/16 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Find a spider in your garden. They will never, or hardly ever, build a net when its going to rain.
[Edited on 4/11/16 by 02GF74]

A very locost idea. Although how would you tell if the spider has built a web or not? They may have built webs but you are unable to find it. Do you have a set amount of time for spider searching and then after that time you give up and assume no webs built and therefore rain? Or is this a spider/spiders you have in captivity? If so how do guarantee that the spider is displaying normal spider like behaviour and is not in some way distressed by you keeping it or them prisoner?

[Edited on 4/11/16 by Irony]

tegwin

posted on 4/11/16 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Weather forecasters do a pretty good job considering they are basically predicting the future....

All of my work (flying related) is weather dependent... I use the met office website for an idea of what is coming and then 24 hrs before start watching the pressure charts and rainfall radars to make an estimation of where things are moving... The BBC simplify the data too much to be useful to me.... Learn to read synoptic charts and radar and you will have more luck predicting what is going to hit...

Amazing being able to schedule flights between fronts of rain visible on the radar.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

coozer

posted on 4/11/16 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
2am news and weather on 5live..

The night will dry and clear with a small chance of rain in the west.....

There's me driving up the A19 in the east with my wipers on...

The hourly forecasts are rubbish never mind the 7 day ones!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.