Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Charcoal canister for MGB
mgb281

posted on 22/6/23 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Charcoal canister for MGB

I am gradually restoring my MGB and want to add a charcoal canister to stop the smell of petrol fumes in the garage. Installing one is not the problem it’s what is the best way to control the purge valve.
JAG

posted on 22/6/23 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I had a system like that on my MX-5 engine.

The system is connected with plastic tube between the main components, like this...

Fuel Tank -> Carbon-Cannister -> Purge Valve -> Intake Manifold

I think the Purge valve is closed with ignition-off and opens with ignition-on. So a simple 12v Solenoid I guess.

When you start the engine the vapour in the Carbon cannister is drawn into the intake manifold.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/6/23 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mgb281
I am gradually restoring my MGB and want to add a charcoal canister to stop the smell of petrol fumes in the garage. Installing one is not the problem it’s what is the best way to control the purge valve.

Even my old car does not make the garage smell even slightly of petrol. Are you sure you don't have a fuel leak!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mgb281

posted on 22/6/23 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I had a system like that on my MX-5 engine.

The system is connected with plastic tube between the main components, like this...

Fuel Tank -> Carbon-Cannister -> Purge Valve -> Intake Manifold

I think the Purge valve is closed with ignition-off and opens with ignition-on. So a simple 12v Solenoid I guess.

When you start the engine the vapour in the Carbon cannister is drawn into the intake manifold.

I know exactly how they are plumber in but I needed to know how to activate the purge valve, just connecting it to the ignition switch will cause all sorts of problems, it’s like having a vacuum leak on the manifold. I suspect it is triggered by a high vacuum on over run triggering the ECU but need confirmation

Even my old car does not make the garage smell even slightly of petrol. Are you sure you don't have a fuel leak!
No mechanicals fitted yet, just pre emoting a possible problem and helping the atmosphere a minuscule amount.

nick205

posted on 22/6/23 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
My carb'd Pinto engined MK Indy didn't make the garage smell of petrol.

Benefit that my driveway sloped away from the garage door so I started the engine and drove straight out. Left the car roadsie while closing the the garage door.

As Mr Whippy say I'd check it over for any leaks and to make sure everything is plumbed in correctly.

mgb281

posted on 22/6/23 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Benefit that my driveway sloped away from the garage door so I started the engine and drove straight out. Left the car roadsie while closing the the garage door.

As Mr Whippy say I'd check it over for any leaks and to make sure everything is plumbed in correctly.

As I said in my last post neither the engine or fuel tank is finally fitted yet, there are no leaks or smell of petrol because the tank isn’t fitted. All I want to know is how to trigger the purge valve without upsetting the ECU by creating a continuous air leak via the carbon canister.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/6/23 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mgb281
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

As I said in my last post neither the engine or fuel tank is finally fitted yet, there are no leaks or smell of petrol because the tank isn’t fitted. All I want to know is how to trigger the purge valve without upsetting the ECU by creating a continuous air leak via the carbon canister.

That's good, just making sure your car doesn't burn to the ground...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JAG

posted on 23/6/23 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I'd also like to say that your car will run just fine with a permanent atmospheric vent - it's kinda how engines work

It will be fine with the Purge Valve permanently open. So long as the carburettor/injection is calibrated correctly it won't make any difference at all.

Just saying

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.