Board logo

Rear bulkhead
Peter Perfect - 28/10/18 at 09:36 PM

just a simple question, can the rear bulkhead be removable. I was thinking for accessibility to have a bulkhead that is fixed with self tapping screws to the chassis and b ody frame. would this pass iva

J666AYP - 29/10/18 at 12:51 AM

I can't see any issues with the IVA test. I would sway towards rivnuts over self tappers though.

Jay

minitici - 29/10/18 at 10:02 AM

I normally drill and tap the tubes M5 and fit socket headed button head screws.

nick205 - 29/10/18 at 10:25 AM

On my MK Indy I made the top panels of the tunnel removable for access, but all other panels were rivetted in place. The cover of my GRP rear tub was removable should I have needed access, but I never did.

The rear bulkhead was a revitted in alloy panel. Ultimately (after removeing the seats) I could have quite easily dilled out the rivets and removed the bulkhead for access. Again I never had any need to do that though.

With top access, bottom access and wheel arch access there really wasn't anythign I couldn't get access to. Replacing the fuel tank would have taken some doing, but I fitted it and ran the engine up a few times before fitting the GRP rear tub. Aside from refuelling the vehicle I never needed to access the fuel tank.

Peter Perfect - 29/10/18 at 09:46 PM

Thanks guys , rivet nuts i think are the answer

Bluemoon - 30/10/18 at 08:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Perfect
Thanks guys , rivet nuts i think are the answer

Bonded and riveted should help with the torsional stiffness of the chassis.. But Rivet nuts will do it if you must.

[Edited on 30/10/18 by Bluemoon]