Board logo

A few lighting Q's
J666AYP - 6/12/18 at 09:48 PM

Hi gents,

Got a few questions about lighting that I'm stuck on.

1. Is it only the rear fog that needs to be 'E' marked, or is it all the lights now? Seem to remember the rules changing a while ago.

2. Could the reverse light be switch activated? I cant use the donors reverse switch due to space issues, and I dont have much room on the selector to mount a micro switch. Any Ideas?

3. If worse comes to worse would a microswitch be strong enough for the job?

Jay

gremlin1234 - 6/12/18 at 10:10 PM

as far as I remember, its still only rear fogs that have to be e marked

and checking the manual, reversing lights can be on a seperate switch so long as it has a telltale

quote:
They must operate by selection of reverse gear, or be fitted with a telltale warning device

[Edited on 6/12/18 by gremlin1234]

J666AYP - 6/12/18 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
as far as I remember, its still only rear fogs that have to be e marked

and checking the manual, reversing lights can be on a seperate switch so long as it has a telltale
quote:
They must operate by selection of reverse gear, or be fitted with a telltale warning device

[Edited on 6/12/18 by gremlin1234]

Thats magic mate, thank you.

Jay

tims31 - 7/12/18 at 10:55 AM

I think the fog light needs to be 'F' marked and the others 'E' marked at least it was when I took mine through last year.

I'll have a look in the IVA manual and see what it says.

Yep, thought so, quote from IVA manual section 28 "All rear fog lamps must display an “e” or “E” mark with a “B” or “F”"

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/738819/individual-vehicle-a pproval-inspection-manual-passenger-vehicles.pdf

As for headlamps, its only Gas discharge or LED headlamps that need the 'E' Mark it looks like the rear lamps, indicators etc don't need it any more.

[Edited on 7/12/18 by tims31]

loggyboy - 7/12/18 at 06:35 PM

Fog needs to be E marked and have an F or B mark ASWELL.

all other lights need work to the equivalent of an e marked lamp (ie colour and brightness) but dont have to be E marked.

[Edited on 7-12-18 by loggyboy]