Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New member - AB Performance Arion S2R
Paul_Arion

posted on 9/4/17 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
New member - AB Performance Arion S2R

Hi

Just thought I'd say a quick hi and start a bit of a diary on something a little different. I pick up an Arion S2R kit from Andy Bates at AB Performane in 4 weeks time with chassis number 002 which will be their first "customer" built S2R.

Having had a run out in the first car 001 with its owner Gary a couple of weeks back, and having built and owned several kits to date it's going to be one pretty serious bit of kit and I can't wait to get started. Hoping it won't be a long drawn out build (only limitation should be time as I've ordered about 80% of the parts already) so hopefully I can post up regular updates.

Anyway, plan is for a "racecar for the road" with just a few concessions to road use limited to IVA required bits and a slightly heavier layup on the bodywork - so overall we're expecting a 480kg car rather than the 460kg of the race cars. Planned use includes track days and some sprinting - so not planning on any real excess weight other than a bit of vinyl wrap / water transfer film here and there to pretty it up a bit.

Spec will be fairly standard Arion as per the race cars with a Honda CBR1000RR engine, but not limited by regs I'm planning a low miles 2016 CBR1000RR SP engine, which is essentially a factor blueprinted engine with ported and polished head. Hopefully we'll be around the 175-180bhp mark so should be fairly quick 😉😉. Otherwise it'll be all new parts so will be aiming for a 67-plate later this year.

Anyway, hopefully some updates in 4 weeks time when I pick up the chassis and much of the kit. In the mean-time I'll be finishing off painting the garage and getting ready for the new arrival.

For those going to Stoneleigh, I'd definitely recommend popping over to see the AB Performance / Aries stands - both inside and out. They are putting a lot of effort into it this year and I'm pretty sure it'll be one of the highlights of the show

Cheers
Paul

[Edited on 9/4/17 by Paul_Arion]

prawnabie

posted on 9/4/17 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds good! Hope you don't get picked up on the intergrated engine/gearbox rule!
Paul_Arion

posted on 9/4/17 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Sounds good! Hope you don't get picked up on the intergrated engine/gearbox rule!

Is that for IVA or registration?

adithorp

posted on 9/4/17 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
That'll be a weapon on the road. If I was building again thats what I'd go for.

The "rule" prawnabie refers to isn't actually a specific rule at all. For a new reg all parts must be new, with the exception on ONE that can be "reconditioned as new" (or words to that effect). The form you fill in to declare the source of the parts asks for engine and transmission (amongst other things) separately. It's a bit antiquated in the way its worded and you have to be a bit creative to fill it in anyway (front axle, for example ??). I put my engine in the engine section and the diff in the transmission. I also added a letter declaring that the gearbox was integral to the engine/a combined unit. You'll also need an invoice or similar to say the engine has been reconned'.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Paul_Arion

posted on 10/4/17 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
That'll be a weapon on the road. If I was building again thats what I'd go for.

The "rule" prawnabie refers to isn't actually a specific rule at all. For a new reg all parts must be new, with the exception on ONE that can be "reconditioned as new" (or words to that effect). The form you fill in to declare the source of the parts asks for engine and transmission (amongst other things) separately. It's a bit antiquated in the way its worded and you have to be a bit creative to fill it in anyway (front axle, for example ??). I put my engine in the engine section and the diff in the transmission. I also added a letter declaring that the gearbox was integral to the engine/a combined unit. You'll also need an invoice or similar to say the engine has been reconned'.

Ah i see - see what you mean. I've never tried for a new registration before and so its actually not something i'd ever looked into, so thats really useful info so many thanks for the detailed explanation. I will be getting my engine from Andy directly so i'll have a chat with him about it - the first IVA'd Arion is on a 66-plate now but that has a 2008 engine fitted and so quite likely that Andy has given that a recon as per normal with the RGB cars and so yes that'd make sense to meet the DVLA requirements. He'll be doing all of the required mods before i collect the engine such as water pump delete kit, baffled sump - so may as well look at what needs doing to do all to get that new reg plate. Sierra based diff is genually brand new with a new casting and Quaife doing the 3.38 CWP themselves, so reality is that the bike engine is going to be the sole donor part.

Rosco86

posted on 10/4/17 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like you've got a plan, will be nice to watch it come together

My Build Thread

Paul_Arion

posted on 28/4/17 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Quick update although still 2 weeks to collection day. Decided in preparation that i would make life as easy as possible by renovating the garage in preparation for the new car. Emptied it out, fitted decent lights. more sockets and then painted the walls. Just started epoxy coating the floor yesterday so just the sealer / primer done so far. Grey coat to go on next and then a clear hardcoat on top at some stage next week.

Before

Getting there

Primer done

Off to Stoneleigh to drool over Gary's S2R (in the new TKC) and help drink all of Andy's beer tomorrow

Paul_Arion

posted on 15/5/17 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Collected the kit at the weekend but havent yet had time to do much other than mark out the floor outline and pedal locations and then cut the floor panel out. Just awaiting a countersink bit set to turn up and also some cutting lubricant and then i'll make a proper start in earnest on fitting the floor over the next day or two. Engine is also on its way to Andy at AB Performance - he has sourced me a low miles 2016 Honda CBR1000RR SP from the States which we'll be running with a HRC ECU so hopefully i'll be collecting that in a few weeks complete with billet sump etc.

Some quick pics though of the chassis and shelf load of parts.

HowardB

posted on 15/5/17 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
looks impressive, when I grow up I want a garage like that! Really looking forward to seeing the car, I am with Adi, it would be my choice of car,..

keep the pictures coming

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Nathsx

posted on 25/5/17 at 05:16 AM Reply With Quote
Will be following this closely, good to see you got the garage sorted first how did you find the epoxy flooring ?

P.s. I found those parts shelves a right paint to put together on my own

Paul_Arion

posted on 25/5/17 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
Didnt find the shelving too bad myself really - once i started ignoring the instructions and put it together flat on the ground.

Epoxy floor paint was so easy to apply - did the whole garage in about 90 mins per coat including cutting in the edges. Ok so it takes over a week to do properly - letting the primer cure etc but well worth it. The finished result is excelllent - seems very very tough. So glad i paid the extra cost of epoxy over a standard garage floor paint. I guess time will tell how it does in the long term.

Progress has been a little slow so far - floor is now fitted (so much drilling and countersinking to do!) after I vinyl wrapped the interior surface. Just got to put some clear paint protection film over the foot wells to protect the matte black vinyl now. Currently working on fitting all the remaining aluminum panels so hopefully the weekend should see some decent progress.

Mr III

posted on 24/6/17 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Nice, Andy is a good guy I'm sure it won't disappoint! looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Tony

Paul_Arion

posted on 11/10/17 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Well i'm afraid Andy did disappoint on multiple occasions with parts not delivered by post (courier repeatedly blamed for not collecting), parts missing after i drove a 320 mile round trip to collect items etc.
I've now got to the stage where i've had enough and am looking to sell the car part built. I'll sort some photos out once i find a new image host and then post it up on here. With over £20k spent on all brand new parts - i'm going to take a big loss but there we go.

To say i am unhappy is an understatement!!

femster87

posted on 11/10/17 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Stick With it. Its usual with small business and resource levels to miss deadlines. I am sure it can all be resolved.
CosKev3

posted on 11/10/17 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear

Won't be long for one of Andys fanclub to tell him about this latest update on here!

Paul_Arion

posted on 11/10/17 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Oh dear

Won't be long for one of Andys fanclub to tell him about this latest update on here!

He's already aware that i'm not happy and why, and that i'm going to sell up now.

CosKev3

posted on 11/10/17 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Seems to be the same with all the small manufacturer's judging by the experiences of members on here.

[Edited on 11/10/17 by CosKev3]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.