Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger Avon Mx5
Smiithyy

posted on 29/8/17 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Tiger Avon Mx5

Hi all,

As you may have guessed I am new here. I have recently brought a Tiger Avon project off here (from locost-online) and plan to fit a 1.8 mx5 engine to it and then play around with boost of some kind.

I have past experience playing with vw's mainly and using carbs / bike carbs etc but fancied something different so dived into this.

Only upon this project arriving in my garage did I actually stand back and think wow this is going to be a lot of work, but I hope the end result will be worth the effort.

Thought it would be a good idea to keep a build thread, something I am not normally very good at but here goes.

(Just getting my head around pictures and uploading some so will update soon)

Basically I have sourced a donor engine / box / loom / ecu and a few other bits should I need them and started to try and make them fit together.

Looks like I need shorten the sump a tad and try and get the engine and box to sit another inch or so back into the car and then get it mounted up.

Any advice from current mazda powered cars is appreciated.

ianhurley20

posted on 29/8/17 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the group and good luck with your project. Mine is an MX5 based Haynes. I did not chop my sump and ended up with 90 mm underneath it which works fine. My first try at fitting the engine seemed ok but would not allow the clutch to operate as it clashed with the frame so I had to move it an inch forward and just slightly off centered to the left to get it all in easily. I would have thought the Avon would work in a similar fashion. I also put the engine in with no performance mods and find it quite ok for my local bumpy, tractor infested country roads :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.