Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Organised or chaotic?
jonabonospen

posted on 3/11/12 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Organised or chaotic?

Since getting the new roll cab and tool drawers / chest, I have now got it all organised how I think I would like it. To finish it off though, I bought a Dymo label printing machine (only £15 brand new from Amazon) and this afternoon set about labelling up the drawers as I am still not used to the setup and layout of the new, much larger, cabinet.

I dont know if I have a little OCD in me, but I feel MUCH better now that it is labelled up and stuff can be 'filed away' properly. It just feels organised.

But what are you like; is your garage and are your tools all organised? Or is it just chaotic and the tools live wherever you put them on the floor so-to-speak?

Here is my cabinet all labelled up now:

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
FuryRebuild

posted on 3/11/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
You did the right thing.

All my drawers are labelled - has stopped me reaching for sockets and finding screwdrivers.

Similarly, my wall bins are also organised that way. From left to right it's bolt sizes starting at m5, and then going up it's each thing to do with bolt size, such as washers, nuts, rose joints etc.

it's definitely the right way - saves loads of hassle in the long term.

have you see the rules - there may be one to add around this.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

ReMan

posted on 3/11/12 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Madness
nuttter
nuttter

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

FuryRebuild

posted on 3/11/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
there's something wonderfully recursive about that.

I had a friend who had a box with "round tupperware" and another with "square tupperware" on it.

he was totally sleeping with the enemy. If the tins weren't aligned and facing forwards in the cupboards then he couldn't sleep.

needless to say, we found ways to entertain ourselves. I couldn't bring myself to take the labels off for a laugh, but as a student I once lived in a house when we did that for fun. baked beans and custard anyone?

M

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Madness
nuttter
nuttter

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Fred W B

posted on 3/11/12 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I like to be somewhat organized. I found some plastic cutlery trays that fitted nicely into the drawers in my toolbox that were usefull for long thin tools like punches etc.

Cheers

Fred W B

Ps I have also labelled the drawers since the pic was taken, with proper "retro" dymo tape

[Edited on 3/11/12 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Benzine

posted on 3/11/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
'creative chaos' for me
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonabonospen

posted on 3/11/12 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
'creative chaos' for me

Ah.... "creative" chaos......... where you just create loads of mess

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 3/11/12 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
i have some boxes, with some stuff in them. thats about it. yet i somehow know where everything is...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

theduck

posted on 3/11/12 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Even whn I decide it's time to tidy up the garage, it's still chaos.
Stott

posted on 3/11/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I know where everything is (it's perfectly organised) split between the toolboxes and the bench, and I remember where everything is too, it's been roughly the same for about 16 years or so. The only trouble I have is when my collection of a certain type of tool grows and thus needs relocating in a deeper/bigger drawer for instance, so I have to have a rejig of all the drawers. Usually reach for the wrong drawer for about a week then I get used to the new layout.

I'd never label my drawers purely for that reason - the moving stuff around bit.

ATB
STott

Coopz

posted on 3/11/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
When I'm n the garage I think I spend more time tidying/organising/cleaning, than working on the car
ReMan

posted on 3/11/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coopz
When I'm n the garage I think I spend more time tidying/organising/cleaning, than working on the car

Me too
Small garage syndrome

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

bi22le

posted on 4/11/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Consider your selves luck. I dont have a garage. I have 5 different areas around the house where i keep all my tools and bits.

The outhouse
Under our bed
A cupboard in the spare room
The loft
My everyday car.

Is a nightmare finding things. Pulling the wrong draw and then having to move your hand 6" to get to the right draw is utter luxury.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

jonabonospen

posted on 6/11/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add to the organisation, I came across these magnetic mounted side shelves for the new roll cab / top chest today when mooching around Machine Mart. Bargain for a couple of pence under £20 for the set of 4

[Edited on 6/11/12 by jonabonospen]

ReMan

posted on 6/11/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'm liking those, will pick some up next time i'm passing methinks

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Furyous

posted on 7/11/12 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
When I did my work experience in a garage no one was allowed home until all tools had been put away and the place was tidy. I started working at an engineering firm where ten minutes before the end of the day people put their tools down where they were standing and went for a smoke. I made an effort through the day to put any unused tools away on a particular shelf or in a particular drawer but I eventually gave up on that. The best the guys ever managed was putting the tools "somewhere" in the cupboard. I ended up making a mental note of every tool I saw lying around and I became the go-to man for finding things. I was normally spot on when people asked where things were, and it wasn't a small workshop!

At home I've always been a bit lazy about putting tools away so they get spread out on the floor but then I'll have a blitz after a while and put everything away where it should be. I always wanted a tool chest but they're pretty expensive. So instead I have a bunch of different sized tool boxes that everything gets chucked in. Maybe Santa will think I've been good this year...

roadrunner

posted on 7/11/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is utter chaos.
If I tided up every time I went in the garage to do something, nothing would get done. 1/2 hour here, 1 hour there. You can see what I mean.

I will take a picture of my garage tonight and put it on. Then we can all compare tidiness.

Brad.

thefreak

posted on 7/11/12 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a couple of tool chests, but like most spend the first 30 minutes tidying everything up as by the time I finish last time everything gets left where it was last used.
Garage is a bombsite at the minute though, decided as my parents were down at the weekend, the side door would get fitted.
Cut a door shaped hole in the brick, so EVERYTHING is covered now
Thankfully I've got an amazing missus who can't stand the mess, so while I was getting the 150R serviced for Rockingham this weekend, she cleared up!

ChrisW

posted on 7/11/12 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild

have you see the rules - there may be one to add around this.

Loving those!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
unijacko67

posted on 7/11/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
As you can see I also have ocd as I like it all tidy.

Tidy
Tidy

Description
Description

[Edited on 7/11/12 by unijacko67]

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

Peter Perfect

posted on 14/11/12 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I believe there is nothing wrong with being organised it saves so much time looking for tools trying to remember where they were last palced. I was tought to stop working half an hour early and spend the time tidying and cleaning up. Cleanng the tools and putting them away, sweeping floors etc friends used to think I was mad as the floor was so clean. There is nothing worse than starting work with used dirty tools equipment and workspace.

A tidy workspace represents a tidy mind and a tidy job

I have just finished sorting a workshop out and my toolchest drawers are labled makes everything so much easier.

coozer

posted on 14/11/12 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
I use gravity and a yard brush to keep my tools in check... thats probably why I have 2 or 3 sets of everything... doh....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

40inches

posted on 15/11/12 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
A place for everything, and everything in it's place, is not my moto
Description
Description
Description
Description

I see the photo glitch has not been sorted yet.

[Edited on 15-11-12 by 40inches]

mcerd1

posted on 15/11/12 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I've got cardboard boxes full of stuff, shelves full of stuff, drawers full of stuff, odd corners full of stuff, beams of the shed covered in stuff, stuff in and around the last job I was doing……….. And a half empty tool box

I try and group similar stuff in the same place/pile but that’s about as organised as I get
I'd post some pics, but it would give those of you with OCD nightmares

[Edited on 15/11/2012 by mcerd1]

-

coyoteboy

posted on 15/11/12 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'd love to organise stuff better, and when I try it initially makes me feel better, but I always find that after I've organised it it's harder to find and generally doesn't stay organised.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.