Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thoughts on fuel tank / passanger bulkhead
Peter Perfect

posted on 31/12/13 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thoughts on fuel tank / passanger bulkhead

I am looking at the design for the passenger / fuel tank bulkhead. The IVA manual states

"the bulkhead that separate the passengers from the fuel tank must be free from holes through which any escaped fuel could travel."

As the rear section of the car is bolted through a tube that will be behind any bulkhead, I will need to get to these bolts that hold the rear section to the back of the car, (bolted from the passenger cockpit through the tube into captive nuts in the rear section). Is it permissible to have the bulkhead fixed with self tapping screws so it can be removed if the rear section needs to be removed. would it need to be sealed with something like silicone.

There is also the need to have the top seat belts mounted to the tube that will be behind the bulkhead are holes permissible for this.

I have the fuel tank surrounded by a full height bulk head so there is no risk of fuel leaking towards the bulkhead.

Your thoughts and experiences are welcome.

Thanks
Howard

deezee

posted on 31/12/13 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
My bulkhead is just 1.2mm aluminium. It has two large holes for rear wishbone bolts. This has a cover made of aluminium, rivnuted on. IVA man recommended this.

theprisioner

posted on 31/12/13 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
"the bulkhead that separate the passengers from the fuel tank must be free from holes through which any escaped fuel could travel."

I think your thoughts are conscientious and the IVA man/men are doing a good service and if all you are trying to do is comply with the rules so you can get a certificate then fine.

The reality is this, tank design, is the poorest part of most kit car designs there appears to be little practical solution other than some sort of fuel cell.

The last Westfield crash I saw the after effects of, was a friend of mine, who had been hit from behind by an Audi TT at speed at a stopping point on a single track road. His rear end was totally demolished, petrol was pissing all over the road under the car. He was dazed and his mates had to drag him out before the inevitable. Very lucky there was no source for flame or spark after the accident.

He no longer drives a kit car, the experience put him off for good as far as I can tell.

My kit cars are no different. Depends completely on you acceptance of risk!

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

snapper

posted on 1/1/14 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Bulkhead as hole free as possible
Bolts or screws if sealed would comply
No car is truly fireproof it more about time to get out
I think your solutions will be ok
Seat belt bolts if your talking about top mounts are above bulkhead
If your talking about lower mounts mine did not fail

As for "the prisoners" view on kit cars, can you sleep at night

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Peter Perfect

posted on 1/1/14 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

This has put my mind at ease I will progress with the bulkhead once I have finished reforming the rear bodywork. currently remodelling the hump on the rear section.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.