Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: T89 Designs - Project SSL Build Diary
ceebmoj

posted on 6/5/15 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Interestingly it was seeing tadltd picture of the LMP. That reminded me of the crash structure on the front of that car that was folded from alloy and also held that made me ask the question.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/5/15 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to knock together a quick bodywork scheme, looks much better than I thought it would with it being made from simple riveted on aluminium sheets.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Its not as sleek as an OMS Hornet but its not half bad.

Description
Description

[Edited on 8/5/15 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 7/8/15 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Well I've not updated this thread in a while, holidays, weddings, birthdays and sprints have been getting in the way. The last two weeks though have seen a major surge in effort.

The chassis drawings are now complete and a chassis builder is lined up to make No. 1 once I have confirmed the height ofthe roll hoops (using a full size mock-up) and that the engine will fit through the gap (using a 1/10th scale 3D print of the chassis and engine).

Thje rest of the design is hurtling along as well, the bodywork is advanced, the running gear is near complete, the brakes are done, the controls are near complete and even the dreaded electronics are making progress.

The aim for 275kg and a £6k build cost is still looking good as well. The chassis is coming in at 49kg (CAD weight) which is a little heavy but its on the 'safe' side and includes mount for everything. Often weights for 'tubs' (carbon and Ally) dont include the engine mounting frames or roll hoops so arent true chassis weights.

I have also decided to use a hand clutch (the bike lever mounted on the gear lever) for the follwing reasons, its the lightest and simplest and cheapest way to do it (the bike lever is simply clamped around the gear lever), many people in sprints and hillclimbs upgrade to flat shifters so the clutch pedal is only used for the start and even without the clutch is only needed for the start and down shifts so having all of the weight of the 3rd pedal and long cable is a bit unecesary. I have used a 3 pedal florr mount though so if a clutch pedal was really wanted one could be fitted without chassis mods,

Some pictures:

Complete Chassis:
Description
Description

Front End:
Description
Description

Rear End:
Description
Description

With Body:
Description
Description

With Wheels:
Description
Description

Side:
Description
Description

Front:
Description
Description

[Edited on 7/8/15 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
daniel mason

posted on 7/8/15 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Looks nice Callan!
I just hope that rear sub frame and diff centre are able to accept a 1000cc lump?
If so they may sell really well as budget 1000cc cars are becoming increasingly popular!

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 7/8/15 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
Looks nice Callan!
I just hope that rear sub frame and diff centre are able to accept a 1000cc lump?
If so they may sell really well as budget 1000cc cars are becoming increasingly popular!

Yes easily. There is very little difference in overall size between a 600 and a 1000cc lump and a Sierra diff will handle the extra power with ease.

Also the chassis is drawn in two stages, the 1st stage is the 'basic' chassis all welded up (about 95% of the work), then stage 2 is to add bracketry and dilling to fit specific parts like engine, diff, radiator etc. so there will likely end up being a number of versions of the stage 2 drawings to use different engine donors all based on the same stage 1 chassis drawing.

I think its starting to look quite like a smaller simplified Force PT now:

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 7/8/15 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

daniel mason

posted on 7/8/15 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
That's identical to mine other than the aero floor looks a bit better than mine!
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 27/8/15 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Well the engine fits (in miniature):

Description
Description

Hopefully the 1/10th scale 3D print of the whole car should be done soon.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 27/8/15 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately I couldn't print myself in miniture so I had to build afull size mock-up.

Description
Description

Luckily I did this before I sent the chassis plans away to be made as its too short and too narrow. I have now added 100mm to the wheelbase (making it the same as a Formula Jedi) and some width to the cockpit around the steering wheel to give more clearance for my hands.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 19/10/15 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis Build:

Chassis No. 1 (although annoyingly T89-002) is in production now. I'm having it made by a third party completely from the drawings without me involved so that he can pick up any mistakes in the drawings or general errors in the envisaged design process.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 26/10/15 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Starting to get some of the fabricated parts back now, first is the water jet cut Rear Uprights and Rear Suspension Rockers:

Rockers:
Description
Description

Rear Uprights to take Sierra Bearing carrier and Wilwood Dynapro caliper:
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

The caliper mount lugs need to be milled back to get the correct caliper position but everything fits together perfectly.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 26/10/15 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Rear Suspension and driveline now fully sorted in the virtual world as well:

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 26/10/15 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Build coming along well:

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 28/10/15 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis finished! Cant wait to get it home and start the build in anger:

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Rosco86

posted on 28/10/15 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
looking good, i think i might build a single seater next

My Build Thread

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 28/10/15 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
looking good, i think i might build a single seater next

Build one of these! Plans for the homebuilder should be completed and for sale by the end of the year.

Total cost of the materials for the chassis (including ready bent MSA compliant roll hoops) was £320 and the fabricator who built that chassis did it in a few weeks without input from myself.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

StevieB

posted on 28/10/15 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Looks great!

I'll be the first one with my hand up for plans - been watching this for a while and wanting to build a single seater for even longer.

Maybe if enough people build them, there might be some appetite for a race series - like a locost single seater class.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 28/10/15 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
Looks great!

I'll be the first one with my hand up for plans - been watching this for a while and wanting to build a single seater for even longer.

Maybe if enough people build them, there might be some appetite for a race series - like a locost single seater class.

Thanks, my aim all along has been to make an affordable route into single seater motorsport, if I achieve just 0.001% of the success of the Locost Book I'll be very happy.

The car does actually meet all of the requirements for the Monoposto race series under the Homebuild chassis rules in the Mono Moto class so could be raced straight away, its not just a car without a cause.

Hopefully I will run this car in Sprints/Hillclimbs next year for developement and then hopefully either upgrade it with or build a new car with a bigger engine and race in Monoposto in 2017... theres enough room in there for a Haybusa or a VFR1200.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

StevieB

posted on 28/10/15 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
A modern day terrapin...

mazie

posted on 29/10/15 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I've been watching this build with a lot of interest and quite keen to build one of these myself. Will keep an eagle eye for further updates. Great stuff so far and look forward to further updates.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 29/10/15 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mazie. The big job thats left to do is mount the engine, I haven't been able to find an accurate CAD model of a CBR600 F4 so I need to drop the engine into the chassis and make actaul engine mounts and then make the drawings from those.

Once thats done it will be a case of knocking out the drawings of the suspension fabrications and the asssembly drawings/BOM list and it will be ready to go.

Couple more pics from the chassis builder: (a lick of black primer certainly makesit look more finished)

Description
Description

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 30/11/15 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've not updated this thread in a while, not because the project is stalled but mainly there has been alot of background activity going on. Part being manufactured and orders placed.

I have also had to complete the last major design task which was to fit the engine to the completed chassis, make the engine mounts and then reveres engineer them into CAD and drawings.

I have also applied to legally register the designs so that I shouldnt be ripped off once I start selling them and have also been beavering away on making it abit more pleaseing on the eye, especially with some more svelt side bodywork.

I have also managed to fit in a little homage to my favourite race car the Tyrrell P34 if anyone can spot it.

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

macdave69

posted on 30/11/15 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Costings

I too am interested in this project. I am considering something along these lines for a bit of sprinting in a couple of years. Having bought plans in the past and currently being the proud owner of half a dozen books on building sprint cars, I would be interested in what you envisage the budget would be to build a rolling chassis?
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 1/12/15 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting question. One of the benefits of designing everything and creating a full parts list and BOM is that I will be able to give an exact figure when the design is complete. I havent done this yet but I will have a quick rough estimate.

Depending on your definition of rolling chassis though I can give some rough figures (assuming no labour costs on a home build).

For the minimum rolling chassis (chassis and suspension)

Fabricated Chassis and Suspension Materials (including MSA roll hoops at £260 and wishbone tube inserts etc etc): £350

Front RD Upright and Hub set ~£350

Rear Upright and Hub Set ~£250

So you could have a rolling chassis for <£1000

For everything except the engine and bodywork

Coilovers and Suspension parts ~£500-750
Steering Rack and Steering Parts £250
Driveshafts ~£50
Brakes ~£600
Diff £20
Propshaft £150
Fuel Tank £100
Control cables ~£50

So for another £2k you could be nearly there.

That leaves £2k for the engine, fasteners and bodywork if I am to keep below my £5k build target. If you use the donor bike that will supply alot of the fuel and electrical system.

The big difference between my design and a normal single seater is that because mine uses Kit Car standard and Off the shelf bits there are plenty of opportunities to by things second hand, find bargains or make your own which can save lots of money, whereas something like a Force needs Force parts all round which are difficult to find from sources other than the original supplier. And thats not a criticism of Force, I'm just using it as an example of how my car differs rather than just being another car in direct competition.

For instance I have managed to get two diffs for a total of £30 and driveshafts and driveshafts, bearing carriers and hubs for another £50 then I found a brand new propshaft the right length and with one end correct in a skip at a company I do some work for, I then had the other end swapped by a local prop' maker for £38 so saving myself £210. So my toal cost for the driveline (with two ratio options) is £120

[Edited on 1/12/15 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

macdave69

posted on 1/12/15 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
U2U

I've just sent you a long U2U
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 4/1/16 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Not been many updates in a while but I managed to get a couple of days work in over the Xmas period and have made a load of progress on the chassis.

The chassis was built as what I call the "Basic Chassis", a blank that doesnt have any bracketry specific to the parts being used so it would be the same for whatever engine/diff/steering/etc/etc that the builder whated to use.

The first task is turn this into the "Bracketed and Drilled" chassis with everything completed ready for final assembly. I could have had all of the parts laser cut but I have decided to do it all by hand to make sure that it can all be made easily at home if someone didnt have access to laser cutting.

Ignore the shoddy welding, I have only been lightly tacking everything together as the paid fabricator is coming back to weld it all up properly.

The first job was the cut the nose cone off, its made as part of the basic chassis (to ensure a perfect fit) but then cut off and brackets added so it can be bolted back on. Also in this picture are the inserts to hold the steering rack mounting blocks:
Description
Description

Next job was to add the DRD racing pedal box, a weld in part that adds a lot of strength to the front end.
Description
Description

Once that was done I could finally trial fit the tight packaging for the steering rack and Brake MC:
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

And the try the nose cone on over the top:
Description
Description

I then got onto the rear end, firstly finalising the engine and diff mounts and adding the inserts to the chassis rails to bolt to, which meant that I could finally fit up the driveline with the propshaft to check it all works:
Description
Description

Description
Description

Next was radiator bracketry, it will use the bike radiator hung off the side with a fan and a small sidepod to duct air. It will eventually be a new radiator as the one from the bike looks knackered:
Description
Description

And the fuel tank brackets were also made:
Description
Description

The last jobs I managed were the rear suspension brackets, namely the rocker mounts and the inboard shock mounts:

Description
Description

Currently its looking like a reasonable length build, 39 hours for the basic chassis to be made (completely custom fabricated) and so far about 12 hours on Miscalanious brackets with maybe another 6 hours to go to do the front suspension and controls (steering/gear lever mounts). 57 hours is quite alot but it has all been done by hand and I have been doing everything over-fastidiously on my first run through as well as feeding any issues I find back into the designs.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.