Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starting problems
Peter Perfect

posted on 24/5/16 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Starting problems

Hello everyone

I am driving a Teal type 35, which has a problem.

When the ignition key is turned the starter motor whirrs but doesnt engage. turn the key agan and the same thing happens, the next time the starter may engange and the engine fires up. This does not happen all the time and sometimes after being run it will fire up straight away. the engine is a 1800cc type B from a 1974 Morris Marina

Despite having a new starter motor and a new flywheel ring gear the problem still occurs. I was wondering if the ring gear and the starter motor (pre-engaged type) are not compatiable, so i counted the teeth on both. The starter motor has 9 and the ring gear has 120. I understand that there were two type of ring gear for the marina engine one for the inertia starter motor and a different one for the pre engaged, by the way the teeth on both don't seem damaged.

Does anyone know how many teeth should be on the ring gear for the pre engaged starter motor,

or

Have any idea what the fix needs to be to get the starter motor engaging every turn of the key.

Thanking you all

Howard

Howard

britishtrident

posted on 25/5/16 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Your engine was on the cusp of the change over from inertia to pre-engage starters the difference in ring gears is down to which side the teeth of the ring gear are chamfered on as the starter drive enages from the rear on an inertia starter and from the front on a pre-enage type. Some ring gear are universal and will accept both types.

However from your description it sounds more like a problem with the starter motor than the ring gear. Pre-enage starter have a fork mechanism (not disimilar to a clutch release fork) to enage the drive if this fork is sticking or in some cases badly adusted you will get exactly the symptoms you describe. This is a fairly common problem with this type of starterr.

There is a simple test but you have to catch it in the act. Next time it happens give the starter and solenoid body a fairly solid clout --- on my MGB I used to thump it with the end of a fairly solid steel bar. If the problem immediately clears it is the starter.

It should be fixable by stripping the solenoid off the starter, cleaning the drive pinnion gear and esuring the fork moves freely and the drive gear slides easily on the the shatf. Lubricate the shaft and gear with graphite lock lubricant. If the fork is adjustable by an eccentric pivot bolt bench test it and adjust to the pinnion gear just lightly contacts the stop washer at the end of the armature shaft when the starter is operated.

[Edited on 25/5/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.