Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Project Stella MX (in the build section)
mini-sprite

posted on 10/7/16 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Project Stella MX (in the build section)

I didn't even think to look if there was a project section duuuuurrrrrr
the link below is in the mx5 section and an update of where i am to date. Would it be possible to move all of it together in this thread? Just seems right to have it in a build diary section.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/59/viewthread.php?tid=201006

Nice update as things are really coming together now. Its nice to put it back together and not have to take it out again

Having said that ive had to re do the rear brake lines due to a leak in one of the fitting. I kind of cobbled it together from Aeroquip hose i already had which meant the rear section before and after the the handbrake had a join in. I bought another 3 m of hose and now it only has a fitting at the master cylinder and handbrake and handbrake to the rear tee.

The battery is also being moved to the passenger side low down.

I fitted the carbon fibre cans i had fitted on old Stella as well, the jag stuff was just way too heavy.

I've ditched the COP until i turbo it and gone back to a coil pack with ignition drivers. This means i have a bit more wiring to do. Hopefully i will be able to keep the COP stuff in the loom.

Cooling and wiring will be done during the week and next weekend

Paul

When i buy car parts i go on the premise that 'it is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission'

Talon Motorsport

posted on 10/7/16 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Please tell me there is going to be a diff NOSE MOUNT and your not just going to rely on the main plate of the diff cover??? It was not intended to work on it's own the main plate only stops the diff twisting it DOES NOT stop the diff from bucking when you put torque through it!!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mini-sprite

posted on 10/7/16 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talon Motorsport
Please tell me there is going to be a diff NOSE MOUNT and your not just going to rely on the main plate of the diff cover??? It was not intended to work on it's own the main plate only stops the diff twisting it DOES NOT stop the diff from bucking when you put torque through it!!!

What does a diff nose mount look like?

Is there one in this Photo?

Paul

When i buy car parts i go on the premise that 'it is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission'

mini-sprite

posted on 10/7/16 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.talonmotorfabrication.co.uk/shop/4581381144/mx5-diff-mount-kit/9670968

Just seen this, didn't even see it when i ordered, anyway i guess i'm not using one at the minute.

Paul

Talon Motorsport

posted on 11/7/16 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
Bloody google images does it again......
You don't need to use mine as it only works when you have a seat back/tunnel to mount the other end to hence the 17deg plate on the end. When this diff was in the mx5 it had an ali beam connecting it to the back of the gearbox which was around 5ft long, it's all a matter of leverage so the longer you can make it the better. I make them from 50x5mm and 100x5mm flat with the gap taken up by the top hat spacers with M12 bolts. If you have a light box section chassis then you need to either find or make a point strong enough to take the abuse. If I had seen your build before now I would have pointed this out a long time ago.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mini-sprite

posted on 11/7/16 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Have you got one in stock? I see what you mean. It's a massive over sight on my part to be honest. Your not to know what everyone is going to do with each individual build
And it's not a Locost is it.

I need to have a look at where I can attach a brace.

Paul

chillis

posted on 11/7/16 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talon Motorsport

So what exactly does this diff housing do? The stock MX5 casing breaks at the diff 'arms' when the nose is not located, as the diff arms are only to resist the twisting force about the prop-shaft centreline. The diff nose is constrained by the power-plant frame to prevent twisting about the driveshaft centreline and it is this twisting force that snaps the diff arms as they were never designed to take any load in that direction. Why they are often found broken on MX5's that have had a front or rear shunt.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Talon Motorsport

posted on 11/7/16 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis

So what exactly does this diff housing do? The stock MX5 casing breaks at the diff 'arms' when the nose is not located, as the diff arms are only to resist the twisting force about the prop-shaft centreline. The diff nose is constrained by the power-plant frame to prevent twisting about the driveshaft centreline and it is this twisting force that snaps the diff arms as they were never designed to take any load in that direction. Why they are often found broken on MX5's that have had a front or rear shunt.

The cover is intended to reduce the size of the mx5 diff by replacing the arms with 4x 5mm thick triangle mounting lugs (corners of the main plate) so that it fits in the rear suspension cage of the Haynes Roadster, although it could be used with other cars where a Sierra unit would normally be found.

TheHighlander123

posted on 11/7/16 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus that looks mental.

Westfield SEIW 1700 Forged crossflow, twin 40s etc etc etc - Now about to do a ZX9R

mini-sprite

posted on 11/7/16 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have started mocking up a CAD template (cardboard) I should be able to get one sorted with very little trouble. Finding the plate will probably prove more difficult.

Paul

obr_technology

posted on 13/7/16 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Crikey Paul, that is one hell of a project!

Keep up the good work.

mini-sprite

posted on 13/7/16 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mini-sprite
I have started mocking up a CAD template (cardboard) I should be able to get one sorted with very little trouble. Finding the plate will probably prove more difficult.

Paul

As i thought, the plate is probably the same price as the one that Talon sells..........did you get my u2u Talon Motorsport?

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.