Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade Engined Locost
CosKev3

posted on 29/12/16 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good

Had your work cut out with sorting bodges by the looks of it!

Twisted wires?really?

Murdoc

posted on 7/3/17 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Been a while updating this. I have taken fewer pictures but made more progress.

The car looked something like this, decorating supplies are not integral to the exhaust structure.

I continued wiring up the relays and fuses, the wiring harness for the engine, the front of the car, the rear and the dash are all separate so can be removed for rework. The wiring took a very long time with all the connector crimps, braid and heatshrink. I don't have any detailed pictures of the front and rear harnesses but you can see them in some pictures, it was many hours of cutting and stripping wire in the cold.

Regulator-Rectifier

Dashboard, used molex MX150 connectors for the dash, the digital dash part is an Acewell 6856.

Finished the wiring.

I had a close look at the roll cage, it turns out the welds holding the front part on were actually mostly filler. I scraped around the weld with a round file, it it a few times with a copper hammer and the joint popped open. I checked the back part and it's fine, the tube is also a different diameter so probably original. I cut the front cage out and left the roll hoop in.

Also, the bolts in the prop shaft weren't tight, the rear bolts weren't even finger tight. Not sure how I survived driving this thing. All loctited in now.

Put the car back together

I made a mistake after getting the engine harness complete but not having the radiator fan or front harness. I was tuning the car for idle and hadn't noticed the coolant temperature rising until it blew the expansion tank cap off. Boiling coolant showered down on the open topped megasquirt and wiring. It took a dose of brake cleaner and a bucket load of MEK and an oven to get the megasquirt back to life. The coolant got everywhere and wouldn't evaporate. I'm still mopping it up two months later, the amount of glycol meant it hasn't corroded anything but it's still a mess.

I have the car booked in for an MOT on Friday but not sure if I will make it, I can't get the idle stable as the wax valve idle arrangement is an air trap and unreliable, I have ordered a stepper motor so the idle can be controlled by the megasquirt.

Throttle response seems better than the carbs but I haven't driven the car yet, I have a lot of tuning to do before it is drivable, if I can find someone who is willing I may pay for it to go on a rolling road and tuner professionally. Any recommendations in the midlands?

Banana

posted on 7/3/17 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Nice wiring. I like that braided outer stuff, where is that from?

I can't believe how high the airbox/engine sits compared to my MK! Are you going to mod the airbox for a cold air feed?

Murdoc

posted on 7/3/17 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Banana
Nice wiring. I like that braided outer stuff, where is that from?

I can't believe how high the airbox/engine sits compared to my MK! Are you going to mod the airbox for a cold air feed?

We use a lot of braid at work and that comes from RS but this stuff I got from Amazon, the quality isn't quite as high but it's still very good. The FI airbox is much larger than the carb one. I've had to cut a larger hole in the bonnet. The engine is as low as you would really want it, it's already the lowest part of the car. I can't see the airbox lasting long before I move to a turbo.

CosKev3

posted on 8/3/17 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Dale at Bailey Performance near Telford is the Megasquirt mapping expert

He is a member on here too

Murdoc

posted on 8/3/17 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Dale at Bailey Performance near Telford is the Megasquirt mapping expert

He is a member on here too

Thanks, I left him a phone message a couple of days ago but no response. I will give him another call. I'm about 50 miles from Telford so not too bad to transport the car.

[Edited on 8/3/17 by Murdoc]

Murdoc

posted on 11/6/17 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Not updated this for a while. Just tuned myself so far. Engine runs so well on the megasquirt that I have killed my gearbox. Switched to my spare engine after a light rebuild and that gearbox is sick. I'm&#8203; now fitting a later gearbox which has spiraled somewhat as I have had to buy a later clutch basket and clutch cover.
I've also started building an aluminium Airbox for the turbo.

Murdoc

posted on 25/9/17 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Now with added turbo.

Still plenty to do before it's back on the road.

CosKev3

posted on 25/9/17 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Will help with under bonnet heat hanging it out there!

Have lowered engine compression?

Currently running mine on standard compression before forging the engine over winter,it's currently running 197bhp at 8 psi ,goes very well

Murdoc

posted on 25/9/17 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I wasn't planning on lowering the compression. I'm aiming for 200-220bhp. Reading around it seem with these numbers I should be OK as the engine isn't prone to set. Very happy to be educated though if this is optimistic. I will start off on wastegate pressure, which is ~7psi, it's a TD04HL-13.

Trying to locate a lockup clutch at the moment.

An intercooler to go around my new civic rad or a top mount. What are you running?

[Edited on 25/9/17 by Murdoc]

CosKev3

posted on 25/9/17 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running a GT2556 with a 4x4 Cosworth cooler.

Looking like I'll need to fit a external wastegate over winter,as on a hard pull I'm seeing 12psi and the megasquirt is cutting the spark .

dmrider_10

posted on 29/9/17 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry Ive read through your posts but cant see, what variety of Blade engine is it? 919?
Murdoc

posted on 29/9/17 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
It's an 893 with a 919 gearbox and 954 throttle bodies. Frankenblade.
dmrider_10

posted on 29/9/17 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting. We have a carbed 919 in a fisher and id really like to make it injection but in the easiest fashion possible. The "proper" way would be to get some bodies similar to yours and megaquirt but I did wonder if the ECU from the bike that the throttle bodies were off would run them on our engine hmmm. Probably a bit of a bodge really. I suppose the question would be how close in spec to our 919 are the first throttle bodied blades.

Geat thread BTW!

Murdoc

posted on 30/9/17 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it would run, not at least without a custom map and then you may as well use a megasquirt. I've worked out the pit falls with a blade engine and posted the solutions on the msextra forum. It's a fairly straightforward setup other than that.

Link in case it helps anyone in the future.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65638

Matt21

posted on 22/10/17 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
A lock up clutch can be bought from psycleworx

They can also sort you a clutch cover spacer and modify the clutch pin for you.

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

CosKev3

posted on 23/10/17 at 03:50 AM Reply With Quote
http://psycleworkz.com/home/4552224448
Murdoc

posted on 23/10/17 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps. I will be in touch with them soon.

Car looks like this at the moment:

Murdoc

posted on 12/8/18 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
It has been almost a year since I last posted. I've been quite busy in that time. The car is back on the road, I've resprayed pearlescent black which required a lot of (endless!) bodywork.
The turbo is complete, TD04 from an impreza, RX7 intercooler. It's around 10psi at the moment, the car had a few issues on the dyno which I wasn't there to fix but mostly a boost cut limit left on in the megasquirt, I need to head back for a power run. At 10psi it should be around 200bhp. The car weighs 460kg so it shifts OK.

The turbo:
Description
Description

Shiny paint:
Description
Description

The Car (needs a clean!):
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

The intercooler works very well, the intake air is so cold it is below the dew point:
Description
Description

The random wire cable tied on is temporary for my 'det cans'

And some terrible youtube videos I took while my brother had a drive:

[Edited on 12/8/18 by Murdoc]

CosKev3

posted on 12/8/18 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
You are correct, awful videos!!!

What have you done for oil return to sump?

Murdoc

posted on 12/8/18 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think I need a GoPro

Oil return is just returned to the sump through a barb I added. I had to notch the chassis for clearance and weld up a new drain from the turbo. There is a good 20cm drop from the turbo to the barb so it drains fine.

CosKev3

posted on 12/8/18 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ah right tidy

Still struggling with mine blowing oil into the inlet tract of turbo.
I've added a vented sump tank under the oil return and a Mocal scavenge pump, pretty sure the return is not my issue though.
How have you restricted the oil feed to the turbo?

Murdoc

posted on 19/8/18 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not running an additional restrictor but the aperture in the TD04 is quite small.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.