Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK IndyBlade
Banana

posted on 17/9/16 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
MK IndyBlade

Thought id start a thread for my recently acquired Indyblade.

Probably going to be questions that have been asked before, but at least they will be here in one place which might help someone in the future.

So its a 2004 IndyBlade that needs a fair bit of TLC, but i got it cheap and it came with 2 engines, numerous top and bottom ends plus wheels and other boxes ive not even looked through yet.

Not the best pics -these were from the seller.

nero1701

posted on 17/9/16 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you got something
Banana

posted on 17/9/16 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Started stripping the rear end down today.

The wishbones need powder coating and its all rather creaky back there. Shocks also need replacing.

I was mindful of the advice id been given here regarding the lower hub/wishbone crush tubes and the possibility seizing.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the bushes seem in ok condition. Nothing was seized and i could lift the whole hub/suspension by hand.
The crush tubes slide out with just hand force.

So it seems Polybushed already and i wonder if they were fitted dry and that might be the cause of the creaks?

Another positive thing was the fact the handbrake mechanism seems fully function of my sticky caliper. I can also turn the disc by hand. So i bet it is just the sliders that need servicing, but will look at the brakes late.

Banana

posted on 17/9/16 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Was thinking of getting the shocks rebuilt - seeing as AVO only charge £25 each. But ive read some pretty shocking things about them recently, so not so sure.

Hoping something will turn up on here - otherwise its £500 Protechs.

Seemed to my eye the rear springs dont sit perfectly upright... Is this postive caster intentional?

[Edited on 17/9/16 by Banana]

[Edited on 17/9/16 by Banana]

Banana

posted on 17/9/16 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mick
CosKev3

posted on 17/9/16 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a nice car

Best colour by far

Surprised at the lack of rust on the crush tubes considering how rusty the wishbones are,atleast it's saved you buying new bushes!

Banana

posted on 17/9/16 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, yellow ftw!

The sensible side of me says to replace the bushes since ive got it all apart - but as you say they look ok. And being a kit car, i doubt they have seen many miles.

Might just pop them out and clean them up, refitting with slight amount of grease or wd40 (Seems to be differing opinions on this though)

sonic

posted on 17/9/16 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Everyone I have been in creak, seems to get worse in hot weather. I give mine the odd squirt in WD40 and the quieten down
40inches

posted on 17/9/16 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Banana
Yep, yellow ftw!

The sensible side of me says to replace the bushes since ive got it all apart - but as you say they look ok. And being a kit car, i doubt they have seen many miles.

Might just pop them out and clean them up, refitting with slight amount of grease or wd40 (Seems to be differing opinions on this though)

WD40 attacks plastic. One of the poly bush manufactures specifies copper slip type grease, didn't sound right. The crush tubes on mine are mild steel and after 3 years lubed with CopaSlip are fine. Go figure

Pedropony

posted on 17/9/16 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Perfect for the winter

It's not the speed that kills you... It's the sudden stop

Banana

posted on 18/9/16 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Removed the front lower wishbones this afternoon.

All straight forward. Spent more time faffing around blocking it up so i was happy it can sit there for some time.
Its so nice working on these cars - easy access and no rusty bolts.

Noticed there was a washer in each of the upper wishbone mounting points to take up the gap. Is this normal?

Once again the bushes were all free and previously copper greased. Still not decided what grease i will use when reassembling though..

Rubber boots dont look too bad

Tucking away for the night.

Banana

posted on 18/9/16 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
From what ive read online. powder coating may not be the best way to go.
Seems POR15 gets a lot of positive mentions. May just get parts shotblasted and then try this paint out.

Banana

posted on 22/9/16 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Well im happy. I've just ordered my Protechs.

What a helpful outfit they are, the owner had all the time in world to chat about kit cars and answer any questions.

Hopefully be here by the weekend.

Schrodinger

posted on 22/9/16 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I just had a leaking Protech shock in my part built stylus, as the car is 13 years old, although never on the road, I sent the four back to Protech just to get them checked over, they charged me for one repair,shaft and bushes, checked the rest over and sent back to me within a week. Top service.

Keith
Aviemore

keljon

posted on 23/9/16 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I recently bought a yellow indyblade too so will be following this.
Out of interest does yours have a drivers foot rest, finding it odd not having one but it looks tight so not sure there is room to fit one

Banana

posted on 23/9/16 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
No footrest for me either.

I agree that it could do with one!

Banana

posted on 23/9/16 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Wanted to address some of the rust at the rear end this afternoon.

Thankfully just surface rust it seems. So this has been wired brushed back, ready to be degreased tomorrow ready for painting.

For the first time in my life i wish i didn't have a full tank of fuel! That was pretty heavy..

Discovered i have an adjustable brake bias valve on the rear (are these standard?)

Wishbones back from the shotblasters today, and my Protechs arrived

Can someone tell me what this is above the drive shaft? A speedo sensor?

Schrodinger

posted on 24/9/16 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Banana

Can someone tell me what this is above the drive shaft? A speedo sensor?

That certainly looks like a speedo sensor but I would have thought that it would need a more substantial bracket than that and would be surprised if it has not hit the nuts on the drive shaft while bouncing about and it looks as if there is no wire attached.

Keith
Aviemore

Toprivetguns

posted on 24/9/16 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Congrats on finding a car.

What's your plan since winter is looming? Full strip down?

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Banana

posted on 5/10/16 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
OK, im a bit confused about my polybushes/crush tubes.

The tubes seem barely any longer than the bushes- crush tubes clamps up ok, and the wishbones moves freely.
So all good, but i can see the mount is pulling in at the bottom. Implying the crush tubes are slightly too short.

How tight should the poly bush be in the mount?
As i was tempted to shave a little off the end.

[Edited on 5/10/16 by Banana]

CosKev3

posted on 5/10/16 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally the crush tube should push into the bracket and stay in place without being held,if you know what I mean!Then when you tighten up the bolt you are not pulling in the wishbone brackets at all.

As long as the poly bush can move easily once the bolt is tightened they will be ok,you just don't want them to be crushed in place when the bolt is tightened.

Ref your brake bias adjuster above,they are handy as the Sierra set up used in these cars can often give you more braking to the rear than the front.
Pain is you are not allowed any in line adjusters for IVA test,but your car must have been SVA'ed as they were allowed then

[Edited on 5/10/16 by CosKev3]

Banana

posted on 5/10/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i thought as much, but having tubes that fits that precisely all round the car, might be bit optimistic in this case.

On the offside rear alone - one mount would hold the tube snug, whilst in the others it would have 0.5mm play.

So if a get a batch of tubes made up, i will end up with some mounts pinching in slightly potentially gripping the bush - and some mounts having to be flared out, resulting in play for the bush.

Banana

posted on 5/10/16 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Think im going to get some new tubes made up.
I can TRY and address this issues, whilst also getting a 12mm ID instead of the sloppy 1/2 ".

CosKev3

posted on 5/10/16 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Are all your tubes now exactly the same length?

If not that's why some of your brackets will need tweaking if you get all tubes made up exactly the same size.

If your current ones are MK supplied they look to me like they are just sawn off to length,so never going to be exactly the same(or cut straight)

The ones on eBay by the latheman are bang on machined perfectly the same as each other

Banana

posted on 6/10/16 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so the ID of the mounting bracket is approx 45mm.

The width of the PolyBush is approx 43.80mm

If i get some new crush tubes made up at 45mm, this will eliminate any pinching, but will leave 1.2mm of space for lateral movement of the bush along the tube (although in theory they shouldn't able to, should they?)

Suppose I could use some 0.5 thick washers to take up any slop.

[Edited on 6/10/16 by Banana]

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.