Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A steep learning curve...
ralphy

posted on 18/12/16 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
A steep learning curve...

Thought I'd introduce myself ;-)

I get involved in owning a kit car in a rather unusual way. A friend of mine suggested I might be interested in a Westfield that he knew of and which needed 'rebuilding'. It was part of the estate of a deceased neighbour of his, who had stripped it down almost completely and then it seems he'd lost interest so it sat in one of his sheds for a number of years.

I'd never thought about owning a kit car, tbh but I did quite fancy the idea of having a project to play with and also to learn more about cars as I'd spent most of my life in company vehicles and so had missed out on having my own car to maintain and keep running. So I went along to see it and sure enough there were boxes and boxes of parts plus body panels all piled up in the shed.









The chassis was inaccessible though, it was located outside the back of the shed behind lots of other stuff but I was assured it was fine as it had been under a tarpaulin. The widow wanted it gone straight away and so I agreed to buy it there and then and collect it a week later when the other stuff was being removed.

On the day I arrived to collect it the access was clear and so off I went round the back of the shed. I discovered that it had indeed been stored under a tarp, but that must have been a number of years ago as it had literally rotted away and fallen in pieces.

This is what I found:







With the naivety of someone who'd never attempted to do any work on a car before I thought it'd be interesting to get it up and running, so I loaded everything onto a trailer and set off home. That was the beginning of a rather steep learning curve...

R

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 18/12/16 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Chin up. It's ONLY nuts and bolts, just like ANY car.

Just be methodical. Finish the strip. Start the cleaning and refinishing with the last thing you have left, i.e. the chassis, and then clean, refinish in the reverse order, until all you have left are the bits that were already off. By that time you will have a better understanding of the car and what should fit where. If you have any doubts from that time on, then that's where the rest of this collective comes in.

Also seek out local clubs/groups in your area, putting your location in your details will be helpful to others who want to help (this detail c be added by going into "control panel/options" top right of the page, doesn't need to be exact, just local area/major town/county).

Hope this helps.

JGG.





Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   jollygreengiant 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
Ugg10

posted on 18/12/16 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
As said already, do it methodically, keep pics as you take stuff apart and then build up after refurb. Looks like you have one of the original Westfield IRS diff, iirc it is an English diff in their own housing, take care of that bit.

The other thing it to see it was ever road registered, if so, get the log book and check it is registered correctly as a Westfield (and not on the donor), if it is not registered it will need an IVA test so worth downloading the IVA manual making sure you put it back together so it is compliant. I suspect this may have been registered as it ptprobabe built in the late 80's or early 90's.

As for the chromed wishbones, I would be tempted to replace rather than refurb but the cassis looks like it just needs a clean and paint.

Antpy thoughts on engine ? Does it have one?





---------------------------------------------------------------
1968 Ford Anglia 105e, 1.7 Zetec SE, Mk2 Escort Workd Cup front end, 5 link rear
Build Blog - http://Anglia1968.weebly.com

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 18/12/16 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Was it a bargain?

If you didn't get the V5/logbook with it I would be applying to the DVLA for that pretty sharpish, as that will make a massive difference to how you build it up.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ugg10

posted on 18/12/16 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just seen the bonnet, got some interesting cutouts, looks like it could be for either a cvh or possible a zetec with original plenum.

This looks incredibly similar from 2013, even the pictures are the same ?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?276877-The-Westfield-restoration-June-2015-update!





---------------------------------------------------------------
1968 Ford Anglia 105e, 1.7 Zetec SE, Mk2 Escort Workd Cup front end, 5 link rear
Build Blog - http://Anglia1968.weebly.com

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 18/12/16 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ugg10
Just seen the bonnet, got some interesting cutouts, looks like it could be for either a cvh or possible a zetec with original plenum.

This looks incredibly similar from 2013, even the pictures are the same ?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?276877-The-Westfield-restoration-June-2015-update!

and very similar to this thread from 2013 too
http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/104514-new-member-complete-with-a-westfield/

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mash

posted on 18/12/16 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Even working at my speed, it should be nearly done by now then, let's see some up to date piccys then
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ugg10

posted on 18/12/16 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Was it a bargain?

If you didn't get the V5/logbook with it I would be applying to the DVLA for that pretty sharpish, as that will make a massive difference to how you build it up.


Just spotted in the box of bits an old tax disc dated 2001 so,looks like it has been on the road, big plus point, just need to make sure it is registered properly and then just needs an mot after build to get back on the road.





---------------------------------------------------------------
1968 Ford Anglia 105e, 1.7 Zetec SE, Mk2 Escort Workd Cup front end, 5 link rear
Build Blog - http://Anglia1968.weebly.com

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 18/12/16 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
The chassis looks pretty solid albeit rusty. As said strip it down methodically taking loads of photos , label everything then get the chassis and suspension components shot lasted (quickest and more thorough) or spend a load of time with an angle grinder with a wire brush attachment to remove the rust . Treat with a decent rust treatment and paint. It doesn't look much worse than my Luego chassis was , from getting the chassis back from the shotblasters to back on the road took me 6 weeks in a rented lockup with no power but I did strip it myself
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 18/12/16 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
EDIT: note I checked the incorrect vrn!!! see later posts
gremlin

heres a little more of what was apparently done 3 years ago
http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/104823-chassis-restoration/

no idea why its now posted as new on here... - though looking at the original post, it is in the past tense.

also if I look up the reg, 'Q234 ABL ' (the one on the nose-cone) it shows it as a 'pligrim'
Vehicle details
Vehicle make
PILGRIM
Date of first registration
August 1996
Year of manufacture
1996
Cylinder capacity (cc)
2300 cc
CO&#8322;Emissions
Not available
Fuel type
PETROL
Export marker
No
Vehicle status
SORN in place
Vehicle colour
BLUE
Vehicle type approval
Not available
Wheelplan
2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight
Not available

with an mot in 2011

Check the MOT history of a vehicle
Registration number: Q234ABL

Vehicle make
PILGRIM
Date first used
1 January 1971
Fuel type
Petrol
Colour
Blue

MOT history of this vehicle
Test date
5 August 2011
Expiry date
4 August 2012
Test Result
Pass
Odometer reading
13 miles
MOT test number
6570 2791 1295
Test date
5 August 2011
Test Result
Fail
Odometer reading
13 miles
MOT test number
7578 0701 1228
Reason(s) for failure

Nearside Headlamp aim too low (1.8)
Offside Headlamp aim too low (1.8)

[Edited on 19/12/16 by gremlin1234]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ralphy

posted on 18/12/16 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, all.

I have persevered over the time I've had it and it's come on a long way, not finished yet but I'm pleased with the progress. The lack of a garage has been a challenge, but the biggest obstacle for me has been the lack of time it's taken due to all the other 'stuff' in life (at one stage there was a period of 12 months in which I never laid a hand on her). To answer a couple of comments, it does have a V5 now, the cutouts represent the RS turbo it had been fitted with and I have taken lots of photos too.

Working on her has been a real mixture of emotions, from frustration to pleasure and there's been times that I could've easily given up. With the benefit of hindsight I really should have either bought a new kit or a running vehicle, but for sure I've learnt a heck of a lot and my interest and appreciation in kit-cars has grown and grown. I don't know if it's appropriate to make this a running build thread on here, is that sort of thing allowed or even of interest to others?

R

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 18/12/16 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Must say Ralphy I don't understand you posting here. You seem to have posted on other forums since 2013 and progressed your project so when I read your first post that was not obvious. It seemed to be a new project. But it isn't - and it is posted on the Westfield sites where you will get most useful information.
Why post here as though its a new project?





My build blog http://ianhaynes20.wordpress.com IVA passed 3/10/16

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 18/12/16 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ralphy
Thanks for the replies, all.

I have persevered over the time I've had it and it's come on a long way, not finished yet but I'm pleased with the progress. The lack of a garage has been a challenge, but the biggest obstacle for me has been the lack of time it's taken due to all the other 'stuff' in life (at one stage there was a period of 12 months in which I never laid a hand on her). To answer a couple of comments, it does have a V5 now, the cutouts represent the RS turbo it had been fitted with and I have taken lots of photos too.

Working on her has been a real mixture of emotions, from frustration to pleasure and there's been times that I could've easily given up. With the benefit of hindsight I really should have either bought a new kit or a running vehicle, but for sure I've learnt a heck of a lot and my interest and appreciation in kit-cars has grown and grown. I don't know if it's appropriate to make this a running build thread on here, is that sort of thing allowed or even of interest to others?

R

Welcome
I for one like running build threads so go for it, (especially having seen some of the progress 3 years ago!)

Gremlin

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
bonzoronnie

posted on 18/12/16 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Great project

A huge welcome Ralphy

I have read up on your past progress.

Not a project for the faint hearted, admire your resolve & what you have achieved thus far.

I very much look forward to viewing future progress on this forum.

TBH

I don't understand why some members are being soooo offish, very bah humbug indeed

Ralphy has decided to continue with his build progress on this forum, what's the problem with that ?

[Edited on 18/12/16 by bonzoronnie]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ralphy

posted on 18/12/16 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Must say Ralphy I don't understand you posting here. You seem to have posted on other forums since 2013 and progressed your project so when I read your first post that was not obvious. It seemed to be a new project. But it isn't - and it is posted on the Westfield sites where you will get most useful information.
Why post here as though its a new project?
I didn't intend to make it appear as a new project, sorry if you thought it was. I was going to make my post in the New Members section here ('The place for new members to introduce themselves and their projects' as a matter of courtesy having recently joined, but it's locked.

I made three posts on the Westfield site about this project and again they were by way of an introduction. In fact, it was members there who recommended I have a look here as I'm after some items to complete my build - and I'm in touch with a member who responded to my 'Wanted' post - but I'm also interested in learning more about other kit-cars than just Westfields and have been happily reading up on some of those here. BTW, I've only posted about it on one other forum and that's a watch enthusiasts site, watches (particularly dive watches) being a hobby of mine.

R

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ralphy

posted on 18/12/16 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

also if I look up the reg, 'Q234 ABL ' (the one on the nose-cone) it shows it as a 'pligrim'
Vehicle details
Vehicle make
.

Date first used
1 January 1971
.

PILGRIM
Date of first registration
August 1996
.

Test date
5 August 2011
Test Result
Fail



Thanks very much for that info!

I've no idea what a PILGRIM model is, all I know is mine is an SEi and the two dates are confusing: my chassis number dates it to 1989 and it was registered (according to the V5c) on 01/10/1996. That MOT is a complete mystery to me, as I understood it the car hadn't been 'out' in years - and looked it - in 2013 when I first picked it up. Weird.

R

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 18/12/16 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
If that is the correct registration on the car it's pretty obvious someone has used a pilgrims identity to avoid IVA/SVA testing there Westfield kit
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 18/12/16 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Ralphy your maths seems to be an issue 29,477 posts on the one forum and 262 on the westfield forum. I have no issue with you joining this forum but I do think you have misrepresented yourself. Given that your project is already 3 years old I would have expected a different approach indicating what you started with and where you had got to. If not for some others who spotted your posts elsewhere I wonder when you would have revealed - or not - this information.
I have no issues with you joining this group with your project but wish you had declared the previous 3 years progress in your first post not after others had revealed it`





My build blog http://ianhaynes20.wordpress.com IVA passed 3/10/16

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ralphy

posted on 18/12/16 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Sorry Ralphy your maths seems to be an issue 29,477 posts on the one forum and 262 on the westfield forum. I have no issue with you joining this forum but I do think you have misrepresented yourself. Given that your project is already 3 years old I would have expected a different approach indicating what you started with and where you had got to. If not for some others who spotted your posts elsewhere I wonder when you would have revealed - or not - this information.
I have no issues with you joining this group with your project but wish you had declared the previous 3 years progress in your first post not after others had revealed it`


Nothing wrong with my maths. As I have already said, there was one thread on the watch forum detailing my Westy - and it sure as heck wasn't 29,477 posts about it!
I have no intention of 'misrepresenting' myself at all, why on earth would I want to do that???
As I'm the same username 'ralphy' on all three forums it's hardly some elaborate cloak and dagger scheme, or a spectacularly poor one.
My post was simply an introduction and as I said in it, it was 'the beginning of a rather steep learning curve' - which it has been.

But thanks for not having an issue with me joining here and here's a pic of the current state of play:




And no, it's not hidden behind my motorbike in an attempt to misrepresent it.

R

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 18/12/16 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ralphy
quote:

also if I look up the reg, 'Q234 ABL ' (the one on the nose-cone)
Date first used
1 January 1971


Thanks very much for that info!... and the two dates are confusing:
1 Jan '71 is a default date used by dvla, especially for Q reg

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 19/12/16 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ralphy
Thanks very much for that info!

I've no idea what a PILGRIM model is, all I know is mine is an SEi and the two dates are confusing: my chassis number dates it to 1989 and it was registered (according to the V5c) on 01/10/1996. That MOT is a complete mystery to me, as I understood it the car hadn't been 'out' in years - and looked it - in 2013 when I first picked it up. Weird.

R

I think I must have misread the number plate
I now think it says Q248 ABL though difficult to read, hopefully Ralphy can check...
and that does make it a westfield ;-)


Registration number: Q248 ABL
&#10003; SORN

MOT
No details held by DVLA
If you have just purchased this vehicle, you must tax it even if it shows as taxed above. Vehicle tax cannot be transferred from keeper to keeper.
If you have taxed, made a SORN or had an MOT it can take up to 5 days for these details to be shown above.
You can check with your bank/building society to confirm your payment was successful.
Vehicle details
Vehicle make
WESTFIELD SEI
Date of first registration
October 1996
Year of manufacture
1996
Cylinder capacity (cc)
1600 cc
CO&#8322;Emissions
Not available
Fuel type
PETROL
Export marker
No
Vehicle status
SORN in place
Vehicle colour
BLUE
Vehicle type approval
Not available
Wheelplan
2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight
Not available

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 19/12/16 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
It looks a lot better than it did in your first post!

Also looks like it should be on the road soon, which will be a lot easier if it is properly registered as a Westy.


Stu

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
wylliezx9r

posted on 19/12/16 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
There doesn't seem to be a lot of new project threads on this site anymore which I find disappointing as I find them interesting. But judging by certain members reaction to this thread I can fully understand why. What's the matter with people ?????


[Edited on 19/12/16 by wylliezx9r]





I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
bonzoronnie

posted on 19/12/16 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
There doesn't seem to be a lot of new project threads on this site anymore which I find disappointing as I find them interesting. But judging by certain members reaction to this thread I can fully understand why. What's the matter with people ?????


[Edited on 19/12/16 by wylliezx9r]


My sentiments exactly.

Poor chap just wants to share his build.

Ends up being accused of being deceitful.
Then to make matters worse, the *ringer* police chip in.

I hugely enjoyed reading Ralphys build diary.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ralphy

posted on 19/12/16 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234

I think I must have misread the number plate
I now think it says Q248 ABL though difficult to read, hopefully Ralphy can check...
and that does make it a westfield ;-)


And confirmed.


But here's a funny thing, I looked up Pilgrim and discovered they make Cobra replicas, this sparked a vague memory in my mind & so I called the friend who'd put me onto the Westie - and he confirmed that the original owner of my car had owned a Cobra replica - before he got the Westfield!

But any thought I had of there having been a reg transfer were dashed when I found out you can't transfer 'Q' plates.

R

[Edited on 19/12/16 by ralphy]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.