Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Striker Build
MDR1987

posted on 24/3/17 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Striker Build

Hi all

After experiencing a colleague's Striker i have taken the plunge and bought an unfinished project and thought i would set up a project diary thread for it.

First thing to point out is that I am every bit the novice builder so prepare yourselves for some rookie mistakes and schoolboy errors. i do of course have my colleague on hand locally for tools and advice, and i don't think I would have taken this on had i not had that. In addition, i am also doing my house up (as is everyone it seems) and therefore time/funds may be appropriated elsewhere for longer periods of time.

The one positive is that being childless (currently) I have been told now is the time to do it! So here goes!

I'm going for the newer style Striker, and have assembled a plethora of bits and pieces at present including:

- 1.6 EcoBoost engine and ancillaries (inc turbo)
- ProComp shocks with Eibach coilovers (thank you Client who builds armoured cars for a living for those!)
- second hand fuel tank, wheels, arches, exhaust and various other bits of bodywork that may or may not get used!!

I had some difficulties in the first instance fitting the steering rack which turned out to be a fault on the chassis mounting points being 5mm out from where they were meant to be! A friendly local welder and a half an hours work later i had them in the right place for the rack, and the front end followed. Shocks on the rear, and differential in.

As a birthday present to myself I bought the engine. Thinking behind this, love the Fiesta ST and shedding weight and ease of upgrade means should be good for a fair few years to come. Downside is running the thing, as from reading around i am unlikely to be able to use the existing ECU, and can't use OMEX or equivalent as its direct injection, so standalone ECU designed to work it will have to be, and i will see how finances are doing as and when i get to that point as it aint gna come cheap!! i'm hoping the benefits will outweigh the costs!

i'm keeping an eye on a few WSCC ecoboost builds with a keen eye, but i'm at very early stages at the moment.

aim for the next few months is to get it rolling, maybe get the engine mounts gone so i can get it out to my grandmothers where there is lighting/power and a pit. At present i have none of those in my garage, and am likely to need the storage space towards the summer!

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions/pearls of wisdom welcome as ever.

I'm expecting a very steep learning curve, but looking forward to it!

Matt

[Edited on 24/3/17 by MDR1987]

MDR1987

posted on 24/3/17 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
hopefully the below work

http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/matthew2rimmer/media/IMG_2127_zps2uaeemph.jpg.html

http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/matthew2rimmer/media/IMG_2127_zps2uaeemph.jpg.html

pekwah1

posted on 24/3/17 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe i'm being blind, but can't see a link to a diary, unless this is it lol!
[edit] - i obviously got in too soon with the comment!

Good on you, it will seem daunting at first, but once you get into it you'll realise it's just planning and common sense. Get ready for a "2 minute job" taking more like two days though!

Striker is a great car, i also got a part built as my first go, also a novice but got there in the end through the IVA.

If you need any advice etc feel free to get in touch....

Cheers,
Andy

[Edited on 24/3/17 by pekwah1]

[Edited on 24/3/17 by pekwah1]

MDR1987

posted on 25/3/17 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the reply Andy, will bear that in mind!

i haven't set myself a 'target date' which i think is a good thing!

will keep posting photo's and asking questions!

Matt

loggyboy

posted on 25/3/17 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Always good to see another striker build. Hope yours isnt as prolonged as mine!!

Mistral Motorsport

peter030371

posted on 25/3/17 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
My build is 3+ years and still going but it will be done this year (wiring is the major job now and I am half way through that).

Best advice is enjoy the build and then it doesn't matter how long it takes

If you haven't already join the JPSC (which is free) and can be found at www.jpsc.org.uk

MDR1987

posted on 25/3/17 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks - yes have seen that forum and will join up!!

My girlfriends brother does the wiring looms for Westlands Helicopters so he is my first port of call for wiring!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.