Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dax Rush with Ford 2.0 16V Turbo conversion
Tommes

posted on 18/10/17 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Dax Rush with Ford 2.0 16V Turbo conversion

Good morning everybody.
My name is Thomas, i live in central Germany and i want to share my "project" with you.
Some months ago i bought a Dax Rush in Bulgaria and the time that has passed since this day was used to get the car up and running and legal for german streets.
In its past it was mainly used for track days and small roads around sofia.

When i bought it the condition was quiet rough.... but with potential. So i flew to Sofia, checked the car and gave it a go. Off was the project.... huuuuuge underestimation of the situation

When the car arrived everything was fine (technically....not optically), but some days later the problems started and a lot of time was spend with finding solutions for the bigger problems.

During the first test drives in germany i ended up sitting on the side of the road almost every time....thougt it was an electrical problem. 3 Months later i know it was, but not what i expected.
I decided to strip the loom of horror and to clean up the engine bay, because everything was functional but a real mess.
The hood was not fixed properly , borken in one place and all the rear lights where cracked because they where directly screwd into the wings with sunk wood screws with to much power.
The hand brake didn't work and i found oil under the car..... the seats were cracked and had to be replaced to get the car road legal. The front wings were broken because the were not screwed in properly.....

I dont know if, but i am quiet sure i forgot a lot of things... just lets get it started. Enjoy the pictures....

This is how i bought it

That was the end of every test ride....

Tommes

posted on 18/10/17 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Cleaning of the engine bay and plumbing (there pictures are after the cleaning and rearranging and adding a breather tank and a battery support)

Loom of horror or "the electrical octopus"

electrical connection of horror (these are quiet common on my car)

Tommes

posted on 18/10/17 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Loom of horror in the beginning

Tommes

posted on 18/10/17 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
The whole interieur was stripped out
new intatrim seats where ordered and mounted and the dash electrics redone and cleaned up.
New dashs for boost and revs mounted
New steering wheel
New exhaust
New lights all around, street legal mirrors
The openings in the hood and nose cone reworked and meshed, the broken hood fixed.
Oil cooler added, air filter with cold air intake mounted
Audi TT gear lever modified and mounted
Aeroscreen from aerodynamix
New carbon exhaust for leg protection welded on (Yamaha R1).
New, very lightweight wheels because the original ones had no marks on it to get them road legal over here
New harnesses..... Thats the current look of the car. Just minor issues left for the winter....
I have to make a new pedalbox cover from sheet metal because temperature is killing me. Fortunately it is cold outside :-D

Tommes

posted on 18/10/17 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
One project left is probably a windscreen.
One one on ebay from a westfield. And testfitting was quiet satisfiing.

A Rollcage is planned, i like the mk indy style

A friend of mine had a westfield race car years ago and some parts left. A carbon dash with a race dash 2 pro with lap timer are sitting in the shelf and might be finding a whay into my car.

I also need to modify the fixation of the gear lever gater from the audi, because the ring is sitting to high and making 1st and 2nd gear a bit hard to put in.

swanny

posted on 18/10/17 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
great job! looks very good now. enjoy driving and not breaking down :-)
JAG

posted on 18/10/17 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome Thomas

I've always liked the Dax Rush and I nearly bought one myself. Your's looks really good now.

I hope you enjoy it - does the car attract much attention in Germany? I imagine it does

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

coozer

posted on 18/10/17 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Pictures would be very good without the ad right across the middle...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Tommes

posted on 18/10/17 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Damn it, the add was not shown in the preview. That sucks. I might use another uploader....sorry for that.

Thank you JAG and swanny, actually there are some Caterhams and Sevenish style cars in my area. So it is not super rare. But you can see a lot of smiling faces when you apear with it. :-)

The car finally runs really really good. Besides some cold start issues in the first 1 or 2 minutes the car really has a lot of power and runs very smoothly. Power is insane and a bit scary.

mk1storm

posted on 18/10/17 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Thomas,

Great job! Looks a nice car (now!).

If you weren't already aware, there are some of us Rush owners over on the Dax Sporting Club site.
It's for all Dax owners, but it mostly gets people with Rush's on it.
Take a look if you like: http://forum.daxsportingclub.com/phpBB3/index.php

Cheers.

mcerd1

posted on 18/10/17 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommes
...Some months ago i bought a Dax Rush in Bulgaria and the time that has passed since this day was used to get the car up and running and legal for german streets....

from what we hear that's not a small achievement to get any kit road legal in Germany - congratulations on that alone

Like mk1storm says the Dax owners forum is worth looking at - there aren't as many of us over there as on this site, but nearly everyone on it has a Rush or has built one or more Rush's in the past

quote:
The front wings were broken because the were not screwed in properly.....

Generally Dax Rush front wings are only glued on with high strength PU adhesive (Dax supplied Würth "Bond&Seal" with everything roughened first to make sure they stick)

-

Tommes

posted on 18/10/17 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the infos, the rush forum was new to me.
I glued the front wings on with a strong glue made for marine applications.
I forgot to roughen the wings though, so the right wing almost came off. Glued it again and since that day everything seems to be fixed.
I will redo it in the winter because i dont like the alignement...

tajgreidotu

posted on 18/10/17 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats,

That unit was my first run in a seven type car (December 2013), when was still not turbo'ed.

Looked tidy and well made from the outside, cannot comment on the inner side.

Congrats and enjoy it!

quote:
Thanks for the infos, the rush forum was new to me.
I glued the front wings on with a strong glue made for marine applications.
I forgot to roughen the wings though, so the right wing almost came off. Glued it again and since that day everything seems to be fixed.
I will redo it in the winter because i dont like the alignement...

wood85

posted on 18/10/17 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Sooo close - building a Cosworth Turbo Dax Rush myself.

Yours moves so your doing miles better than me!

As said above - owners forum does exist...

mk1storm

posted on 19/10/17 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
Like mk1storm says the Dax owners forum is worth looking at - there aren't as many of us over there as on this site, but nearly everyone on it has a Rush or has built one or more Rush's in the past

Didn't realise there were more rush owners on here than the owners forum... don't tend to look on here that much, but will do now!

Tommes

posted on 19/10/17 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
First, the Cosworth Engine was my favorite to replace the installed silvertop engine. It does a good job at the moment so i am not in a hurry. Want to enjoy the driving now. It was dynoed wit 155 hp at the wheels on low boost. Already not too bad. I turned up the boost a bit and now things are really different. Dont want the engine to suffer too much, so i will stay below 1 bar of boost.

Plans at the moment are to find a 5 cylinder turbo engine (Ford ST220) for a reasonable price and to overhaul it until the silvertop gets old or boring.

Tommes

posted on 19/10/17 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I have a question:
i dont like the way the throttle and the clutch cable are mounted to the original dax rush pedal box.
Maybe you can see it on the pic.

Is there any way to make this connection (especially the clutch cable) a bit better and cleaner and better adjustable?

Tommes

posted on 19/10/17 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Otherwise, yesterday evening i installed a new D1 Spec Steering wheel hub. The old one had some play and i didnt feel good. The new one is really sturdy and the car feels totally different after the installation.

Today some new exhaust wrap should arrive. I will install it and clean the car a bit and should be good to go for the TÜV show tomorrow

Tommes

posted on 22/10/17 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
So the car has been in the workshop in the end of last week and the TÜV engineer has taken all the information he needs. He will prepare the papers over the weekend and hopefully he will not have any issues concerning the legalization in Germany. I will have news during the next week.
Anyhow, i installed the new exhaust wrap before i brought the car to the wrap...

mark chandler

posted on 22/10/17 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
That looks like an early R1 exhaust can, it will be very restrictive if the baffles have not been removed and replaced with some straight through perforated tube and wadding.

It will be taking away many horses and increasing heat.

To remove drill the rivits on the can ends, the on the steel cylinder grind a few mm off the ends, these are folded over to seal then bash the baffles out with a big hammer, they are held with a couple of spot welds.

[Edited on 22/10/17 by mark chandler]

Tommes

posted on 22/10/17 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
You are right.
The engine runs quiet well, it looks like the exhaust that was mounted before was even more restrictive.
There are plans do to exactly what you said. It will also be shortened a bit.

mark chandler

posted on 22/10/17 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the size of that turbo you need a 3" pipe out to the back, I would not look at shortening the can, stick on one a bit longer to manage the noise.

I believe the German TUV is pretty tough, in the UK things are really flexible thankfully.

Tommes

posted on 22/10/17 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on what the TÜV guy says i might be forced to install a small catalytic converter to be allowed to enter in certain villages.
As the car is very quiet, obviously due to the turbo, i will not have to any problems with a shorter silencer. TÜV in germany is very restrictive, but they are cool if you make reasonable mods and if the execution of the work is well done.

Tommes

posted on 27/10/17 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
So,

bad news at the moment.
No TÜV acceptance in the first step.

snap off hub is not acceptable
steering wheel has no emark
some cables in the engine bay are not routed properly (couldnt tell me wich thought)
50mm distance flanges on the rear have no emark
handbrake is not strong enough and apparently only works on 1 side.

So i might have to get back to the garage.... to clean things up a little bit more.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 27/10/17 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
So,

bad news at the moment.
No TÜV acceptance in the first step.

snap off hub is not acceptable
steering wheel has no emark
some cables in the engine bay are not routed properly (couldnt tell me wich thought)
50mm distance flanges on the rear have no emark
handbrake is not strong enough and apparently only works on 1 side.

So i might have to get back to the garage.... to clean things up a little bit more.

At least nothing major.
All easily sorted.
I think.
Really nice car...
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.