Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric Drivetrains
scootz

posted on 17/12/17 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Electric Drivetrains

Guess its something we need to start looking at (assuming we're still allowed to build our own cars in 10 years time).

I thought it was out of reach for Seven type vehicles as the Tesla Roadster (Lotus chassis derived) was a porker, but seems Westfield did a decent job on their iRacer.

I know bugger all about electrics, but there are plenty clever folks on here, so how about we start pooling the knowledge!

It's Evolution Baby!

coyoteboy

posted on 17/12/17 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I think they're more likely to remove self build rights before we're forced to go all electric.

However motors and drive control are relatively easy, the difficulties in my view come from battery design, mass, safety and cost.

Schrodinger

posted on 17/12/17 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger had an electric 6 at one time around 2003/4 iirc.

Keith
Aviemore

David Jenkins

posted on 17/12/17 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
This is quite an interesting prospect that could (possibly) be installed in a Locost...
Bosch Powertrain

Of course, they don't say how much it would cost...

Slater

posted on 17/12/17 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
This chap built an electric Westfield in Barbados

good read here " The fastest accelerating Westfield in the world? The MegaWatt"

Linker to WSCC build blog

It includes some youtube clips too.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

scootz

posted on 17/12/17 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys. Electric motors are appearing on eBay now at sensible money - if only getting them to work outside the OE application meaningfully was easy (and at similarly sensible money!).

It's Evolution Baby!

craigdiver

posted on 17/12/17 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Cheers guys. Electric motors are appearing on eBay now at sensible money - if only getting them to work outside the OE application meaningfully was easy (and at similarly sensible money!).

easy - just pick up a tesla as a donor and strip it ;-)

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

JC

posted on 18/12/17 at 04:36 AM Reply With Quote
Just don’t be around when one has a crash....lithium battery fires are not nice. I’ve seen the effects on aircraft......

Didn’t they say on Top Grand Tour Gear that the Lady Shave car Hammond crashed kept bursting into flames 5 days later?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 18/12/17 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I sometimes feel a little nervous in a left lane when the right lane has one of those monstrous 4x4's in it. Roundabout, traffic lights etc.

A few blips on the throttle usually makes them aware of my presence.

I would not want an electric Seven, or any low sports car for that matter.

It would be like riding a super bike with no crash helmet.

Paul G

Sam_68

posted on 18/12/17 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Long before the Westfield iRacer pictured above, there was the WiSPER (Westfield in Structural Plastics Electric Roadster).

There are established companies who will sell you everything you need to convert a car to electric power, so IVA permitting, I don't see it as a big problem, as more advanced battery technology becomes available.

This company might be a good place to start: AVT

There are also dedicated forums for DIY EV enthusiasts, such as this one

swanny

posted on 18/12/17 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.dragonev.co.uk/

these guys turn up at kit car shows with a vindicator with electric motors.

Simon

posted on 18/12/17 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Have a lookout for the wheeler dealer episode in the US about the electric maserati - goes into quite a lot of detail
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/12/17 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
While most electric converts seem to ignore the fact that their "clean" electricity is primarily produced by dirty coal, oil and nuclear power plants...

this is much more interesting and environmentally sound -

linky

run it on wood chippings and the net CO2 output/input is exactly the same, really your car is powered by the energy of the sun

ok it's a tad bulky but I think this looks so weird it looks good

would be great built onto the back of my Landy....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sam_68

posted on 18/12/17 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
While most electric converts seem to ignore the fact that their "clean" electricity is primarily produced by dirty coal, oil and nuclear power plants...

The picture is changing rapidly, though.

This year has seen both the first 'coal free' day of electricity generation in the UK, and also the first day when 'renewable' sources generated more than fossil fuel (oil, coal, gas).

peter030371

posted on 18/12/17 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield are working hard at it still https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/westfield-build-new-mid-engined-%C2%A330k-sports-car-2018
jeffw

posted on 18/12/17 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDu9HpPD8VY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt4fGIoVMpM

More complicated than you might think

jeffw

posted on 18/12/17 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If09etyztl8

nick205

posted on 18/12/17 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Recently traveled in a Tesla taxi in Amsterdam. The driver/owner was not overly chuffed with it - "leccy Mondeo" - was his turn of phrase.

Whilst it was quiet you could sense fairly easily that pedestrians simply couldn't hear it - risky IMHO. Pedestrians are generally so tuned to hearing traffic as much as seeing it I do fear leccy cars present a hazard for people crossing a road.

bg0013

posted on 18/12/17 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/ev3/

I think this is beautiful from morgan.

there is an electric radical racing in Australia that is quite rapid, but the battery and control technology are very expensive for the lap time.

im building a BEC at the moment, but the electric idea keeps popping up in the background, especially once you can get similar performance per kg economically.

coyoteboy

posted on 19/12/17 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
I sometimes feel a little nervous in a left lane when the right lane has one of those monstrous 4x4's in it. Roundabout, traffic lights etc.

Paul G

As a giant 4x4 driver, I am already aware of your presence. The time that a low car is an issue or risks you being "missed" is on country lanes where you're lower than a hedge coming head on. At traffic lights, roundabouts etc you're just as visible as anyone else, if not more, from a higher vantage point

Sam_68

posted on 19/12/17 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Paul G

As a giant 4x4 driver, I am already aware of your presence.

Me too, but if I wasn't, blipping your throttle wouldn't save you - my Range Rover is exceptionally well sound-insulated and my stereo is usually turned well up, to compensate for the fact that I'm as deaf as a post after donkey's years of driving aeroscreen'd kit cars!

I do find the reactionary comments on this thread quite amusing:

Battery safety: if electric cars had gained dominance first, can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if someone proposed a new power source that relied on a fragile tank of highly volatile fuel (which emits carcinogenic vapour when being refueled), in combination with an electrical system that's just waiting to produce sparks in an accident... and emits noxious and environmentally damaging gases as exhaust, to boot?

Pedestrian safety: much the same concerns resulted in laws demanding a man with a red flag walking in front of early cars. We got used to the transition from horses to cars, and I'm sure we'll get used to the transition from IC to EV.

If you're paying a such a lack of attention that you risk getting hit by an EV, the LCF's and MAMILS are gonna get you sooner or later anyway. If there is a sufficient uptick in road casualties as EV's are adopted en mass, it's not rocket science to fit them with some sort of noise generator.

It very much looks like EV's are going to gain dominance in the next few years, so we might as well get with the program?

nick205

posted on 19/12/17 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Sam_68

Point about fitting a noise generator noted and that may well be a solution.

Indeed if EV cars increase then pedestrians will find ways to adapt. Thinking further, what bothers me as much (if not more) is the number of people walking about with earphones on making hearing things less likely as well.

I think you're also right about trying to make a change from EV to IC - people don't always want to change easily (or without moaning).

I guess my point was to highlight a potential problem with the change from IC to EV. That said humans are quite adaptive and will no doubt cope with the change. Having potentially cleaner air to breathe seems a pretty strong argument for making the change

swanny

posted on 19/12/17 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
Westfield are working hard at it still https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/westfield-build-new-mid-engined-%C2%A330k-sports-car-2018

Based on the GTM Libra. (though remains to be seen if it ever bears much resemblance when its done. They have been trying to buy a couple of cars to develop. They even did a bit of press in manchester last year with owners cars.

swanny

posted on 19/12/17 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
if everyone is plugged into a smart phone then they wont hear EV coming.
So you build collision avoidance apps into the phone surely?

russbost

posted on 19/12/17 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

Does anyone have links to suitable motors at sensible money? I certainly can't find anything on Ebay, anything with any serious grunt is either fortunes, 3 phase, or both. I do recall a chat with Stig Mills some years back when he said that AC is much better than DC, but obviously you get losses translating from one to the other, but I wouldn't have thought we want 400V+ of 3 phase going around the car!

I do agree that there is going to be massive uptake of battery vehicles over the next few years, but I still haven't heard where all the material for batteries is going to come from (I don't believe there is enough Li on the planet, so we need an alternative), nor how we are going to cover not only our existing electricity usage, but the vastly increased requirements from all these battery vehicles, if we are trying to do this with solar & wind.
Also, might be a tiny hiccup if it's a cloudy windless day! :s
I have heard about global power hookups, ie, generate your solar in the desert & then "export" it, but don't see how that's going to work without far better collaboration between countries than we currently have

We seem to have largely given up with hydrogen power, but it's not stopped these guys LINK

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.