Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel & sparks wanted for Zetec / ST170
Nickp

posted on 3/8/18 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel & sparks wanted for Zetec / ST170

After a fair bit of fettling my ST170 engine is ready to lift into the Quantum.
I'm in no rush, as hols are beckoning, but I'm still after fuel and spark bits to run it once in.
I'd consider an injection ECU if it's cheap enough but realistically I'm looking at bike carbs (anything over 36mm and spaceable) and an 'ignition only ECU'. I have a Zetec coil pack and leads for the sparks and an ST170 'stub' manifold for the carbs / throttle bodies.

Description
Description

mikeb

posted on 3/8/18 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have a spare set of zx6r carbs, they are clean, I drained all the fuel out and put some carb spray through them other than that untested.
Cheap option is you want them

Nickp

posted on 3/8/18 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb
I have a spare set of zx6r carbs, they are clean, I drained all the fuel out and put some carb spray through them other than that untested.
Cheap option is you want them

U2U'd

ianhurley20

posted on 3/8/18 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
NickP - why don't you follow Big_wasa's thread on using the original ECU and injection system? VERY cheap as its bog standard and it works.

Nickp

posted on 3/8/18 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
NickP - why don't you follow Big_wasa's thread on using the original ECU and injection system? VERY cheap as its bog standard and it works.

I don't have a std ECU or loom and the original inlet manifold won't fit. I've already acquired a VVTpro and it's be nice if I could tune the sparks (and possibly fueling too.

ianhurley20

posted on 3/8/18 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently helping a friend put an ST170 lump ito a Tiger Avon and whilst it is tight it does fit without modification. The ST 170 bits can be had quite cheaply and you don't need the entire loom just the ECU matched key and several engine plugs. Might be worth a closer look.

Barksavon

posted on 4/8/18 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ian
I'm also part way through putting a ST170
engine in my Avon, is there any chance of some pics. I've made some engine mounts and have found the engine sits high. I may be able to get it lower by using smaller rubber "bobbins" between my fabricated mounts and the chassis plates but I'm still thinking it will be too high for the bonnet...any pics would be great
Thanks
Ian

ianhurley20

posted on 4/8/18 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Must say the ST170 does not leave very much room. The one I am helping with has a cut sump and the top of the engine is only a few millimetres from the bonnet but it does indeed fit. The standard plenum has also only a few millimetres to spare so it's all a very tight fit. Is your sump cut or left as standard?
I'll have to speak to the guy whose car it is for photos as I have none of my own.
If you look at a standard Tiger built zetec engined car the spaces and clearances are exactly the same

Nickp

posted on 5/8/18 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone tried the Speeduino ECU? There's a couple selling fully assembled 'plug & play' ones for around £200 on ebay. Looks like the cheapest way to get full management.

https://diy-efi.co.uk/3-speeduino?page=1

Nickp

posted on 5/8/18 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Engine now in.....

Description
Description

Barksavon

posted on 5/8/18 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ian
I got a sump from Premier Motorsports Development, it does away with the ally mid section and the bottom of the sump is level with the bottom of the Type 9 gearbox.
Very good build blog by the way
Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.