Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paint protection recommendation - cans in garage
Mr Whippy

posted on 31/8/18 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Paint protection recommendation - cans in garage

Hi,

I have decided to repaint the Fiesta from boring silver to bright burnout your eye's orange. I got this paint (12 cans) from an online graffiti supplier as their prices were vastly cheaper than Halfords etc and probably better quality.

Normally I would not bother with anything, maybe a dust mask or just do a coat and leave the garage for 30 mins, but thought I'd ask this time.

Reading through the data sheet it does not tell you the safety gear to wear. It only says spray outside which I obviously can't do to spray a car.

It is a modified acrylic paint, whatever that means. I have a large garage but was wondering what mask to wear assuming I will not be wanting to spend loads on that as the paint only cost £40...

I can hold my breath for over 2 mins

Any advice appreciated, thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 31/8/18 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Get a mask suitable for organic vapours. That should do it....

this one will be fine(you may get it cheaper etc etc, or a totally different brand)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-4251-maintenance-free-organic-vapour-particulate-respirator-ffa1p2rd/13038?kpid=13038&ds_kid=92700024698112381&d s_rl=1249481&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=CjwKCAjwzqPcBRAnEiwAzKRgS-X_LN5tpjw8TDVYtlkEpo9BmRJseOgKJyvl3xOxLVGUaZkovw7DghoC_twQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds& amp;dclid=CMegr4bBl90CFY_C3god_vEFpg

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/8/18 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Perfect thanks there's a screwfix just down the road from work too
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 31/8/18 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon holding your breath sounds fine, just let the fumes clear from time to time!

If you can paint a whole car with 12 aerosols & get anything like coverage I will be absolutely gobsmacked & asking where I can buy this paint from!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
gremlin1234

posted on 31/8/18 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
when spraying a lot from cans its worth wearing gloves, else you run the risk of frostbite in your finger!
ianhurley20

posted on 1/9/18 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Xylene 15 - 20%, that's me out then. I - like quite a few others - react to this chemical, skin goes red and irritates, face swells up by 0.5" closing my eyes and my tears burn my skin.
Take care

ReMan

posted on 1/9/18 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
when spraying a lot from cans its worth wearing gloves, else you run the risk of frostbite in your finger!

Get a trigger for a couple of quid
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/welding-metal-work/can-gun-1-spray-can-tool

I did a whole MK2 Cortina in rattle cans
One coat, bit of a polish, good enough!
I guesss these days wrapping is the new rattle can?

[Edited on 1/9/18 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

40inches

posted on 1/9/18 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Buy a Aerosol can trigger, I think Halfords sell them
Mr Whippy

posted on 1/9/18 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I have a can trigger which I'm not to keen on. The Fiesta is a very small car and its paint over the factory paint so 12 cans will be more than enough, I'm not trying to give a full thickness coat, just a solid colour. Roughly speaking a 400ml can could do a whole door so I usually just divide the car up into similar sections to work out the number of cans. I also believe these paints are very dense. Its now in bits and I'm flattening it all down and taking out the odd trolly ding.... Quite like how easily this car strips down to just the bare shell in a couple of hours, saves a lot of masking.

Wrapping cars is extremely expensive and much more than the cost of the car

[Edited on 1/9/18 by Mr Whippy]

02GF74

posted on 1/9/18 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Post before and after photos.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.