Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front stick on number plate
Jonb_5

posted on 20/4/19 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Front stick on number plate

Hi,

I just wondered the legalities of getting a sticker for a nose cone instead of a number plate? Alot of pictures I have seen of other cars have this??

Regards

Jon

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/4/19 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Its not been legal for many years. Will fail an mot, you will get a fine from the police. Those who use them just take a chance.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 20/4/19 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Its not been legal for many years. Will fail an mot, you will get a fine from the police. Those who use them just take a chance.

I have a stick on nosecone numberplate, passes MOT every year, don’t get any trouble from plod, but do have a plastic numberplate tucked down the side of the seat just in case

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

steve m

posted on 20/4/19 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

I have a stick on nosecone numberplate, passes MOT every year, don’t get any trouble from plod, but do have a plastic numberplate tucked down the side of the seat just in case

my 7 is exactly the same, never had an issue with MOT or plod

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

JMW

posted on 20/4/19 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
me also.
SPYDER

posted on 20/4/19 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
My car has seen 17 years of my driving and 17 MOTs with a stick on plate without issue. I guess I'm just lucky!
loggyboy

posted on 20/4/19 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
It used to be that no one could supply stick ons with the correct BS standard for the reflective part, that's what made then illegal. However BS markings arwnt checked at MOT, its only a C&U issue so with VOSA and vigilant coppers.
But im pretty sure ive seen stick ons online that do carry BS mark in recent years.

tims31

posted on 21/4/19 at 04:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have a stick on plate on the front of my Fury and it has all the correct BS markings on it etc and never had any issues

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

swanny

posted on 22/4/19 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Was there something about number plate being mounted vertically ? I recall a conversation about the front of the bonnet on a Seven being as vertical as it gets?

Mines been stuck in for twenty years of mots at multiple garages and never been noted

Jonb_5

posted on 22/4/19 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll chance it and go for a stick on one... It's not going to be all that vertical however due to the shape of the node cone...
fishywick

posted on 22/4/19 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
The regs actually say something like the plate should be vertical or as close to vertical as is reasonably practicable - interpret that how you wish !

The hard bit is trying to find a stick on plate with the BS numbers on. Anyone got any links?

obfripper

posted on 22/4/19 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Try and find someone who supplies pet film type printed plates (Laminated printed film placed over an alloy or plastic backing) and ask nicely for just the pet film part, then apply your own double sided adhesive to the back and stick down to your desired location (genuine 3m would be recommended if you want to ever remove it).
This will be the correct material and marked correctly.

Dave

steve m

posted on 22/4/19 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
If we are talking about a stick on plate for IVA/SVA, then I think it will fail,

If we are talking about a stick on plate for an MOT, then BS numbers are not required, my car as can be seen in my avatar, has passed EVERY single MOT since 1998 with the plate on the nose cone, and is a home made plate

I also carry a proper number plate in the boot, and fitting screws, and it has NEVER actually been on the front of my car

My MOT tester of many years, told me that the plates have to be readable while standing in front of the plate and be of legal size characters, spacing and not in any way of a confusing design, as in italics

I do think that the Police have better things to do, than pull over EVERY kit car with a stick on front plate

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

alfas

posted on 23/4/19 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
show me any sevenish type of car where a stick-on plate on the nosecone is "mounted" vertical....and thats the criticial point.....
stick-on´s can only be attached to a flat surface...which is the upper (horizontal) part of the nose-cone

Tazzzzman1

posted on 23/4/19 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas
show me any sevenish type of car where a stick-on plate on the nosecone is "mounted" vertical....and thats the criticial point.....
stick-on´s can only be attached to a flat surface...which is the upper (horizontal) part of the nose-cone

You could of course do what I have done for past 4 years and 15K miles and have the "Legal" plate tucked under the drivers seat. If you ever get stopped (which I never have by the way) then you tell them "Bloody pot holes, plate dropped off so on way home to re-fix it "

Not sure on rules now but used to be if you display an illegal plate (stick on or undersize) then its an automatic 3 points and fine. If you don't display a plate its a slap on the wrist or fine at worst.. But if you claim it fell off....who knows

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.