Board logo

building a windscreen !
stevegough - 10/6/10 at 09:25 PM

Anyone any tips?

Bought a windscreen off GBS at Newark last year - comes in 4 bits.....

Glass (E marked, naturally).
Top ally channel
Bottom twin (h profile) ally channel
Rubber strips

So far I've bent it to shape, then mitred the corners.

But getting the glass into the channels with the rubber sandwiched in is very difficult.

Using 'Mr Muscle' to help it slide (tip from a UPVC window fitter) but the glass keeps pushing one side or the other of the rubber, and it bunches up......

Given up for tonight, but tomorrow going to try gaffer taping the rubber firmly to the glass, then pushing it in.......

....unless anyone has any better tips?

Cheers, Steve.

austin man - 10/6/10 at 09:28 PM

try washing up liquid in the rubber and press on

stevegough - 10/6/10 at 09:32 PM

Mr muscle is stangely enough, more slippy!

SteveWalker - 10/6/10 at 10:11 PM

When I did mine (in the days of Robin Hood), I ditched the rubber strip they supplied and used a suitably sized bike innertube with the valve cut out. The tube stretched nicely right around the windscreen, holding itself in place and was thin enough to slide into the frame easily, yet thick enough to do the job.

907 - 10/6/10 at 10:16 PM

As recommended by a bloke from Cambridge.

Anonymous Rescued attachment rubber-boot-lube.jpg
Rescued attachment rubber-boot-lube.jpg

Dusty - 10/6/10 at 10:33 PM

I ditched the rubber and filled the channels with sikaflex, inserted the glass, clamped it all up and left for a couple of days to set.

mangogrooveworkshop - 11/6/10 at 12:33 AM

David Jenkins - 11/6/10 at 06:37 AM

I found that slippy liquids just made life difficult (and the rubber can rot later on) - the best stuff I found was french chalk (a.k.a. talcum powder, which is french chalk with perfume!).

Rubbed a bit of that over the rubber strip and everything became MUCH easier to manage, without getting all messy & slimy.

Benonymous - 11/6/10 at 08:10 AM

Where do you get that rubber boot lubricant again?

big-vee-twin - 11/6/10 at 08:12 AM

Some practical advice here link

tegwin - 11/6/10 at 09:49 AM

I didnt have any issues getting mine together back in the day... used a block of wood and a big hammer to "tap" it into place

smart51 - 11/6/10 at 10:18 AM

thread the aluminium through a bike inner tube that has had the valve section cut out. Press the glass into the aluminium and allow the rubber tube to move as it wants. When fully assembled, trim the outer bit of rubber tube off with a sharp knife.

mad4x4 - 11/6/10 at 11:26 AM

I fitted the rubber into the channel then pushed the glass in with some Slippy stuff and held it together with two rathc straps as I man handled it onto the car.

stevegough - 11/6/10 at 01:54 PM

just to say a big thanks to all the guys for your comments and tips - the link one of you gave to Robin Hood's build manual is very helpful it seems much more detailed than the Luego one I am working off. I especially liked the idea threading it through an inner tube - you can't go wrong with that one - unfortunately I had already done most of it by then!

I have now managed to assemble the screen - here's a pic of the final 'Squeeze' using 'clamp city'. Rescued attachment windscreen assy.JPG
Rescued attachment windscreen assy.JPG