Board logo

anti roll bar
waterrat - 6/10/07 at 03:19 PM

hi every body, i know it has been a while since i have last posted here, my build stalled for a short time. if you remember i'm building a trike with two front wheels and the back end of a bike.
what i was hopeing you could tell me is if it would be better to fit an anti roll bar, or if my trike would handle better without one. my thinking is that without the trike might lean slightly and as there is only the one wheel on the back it would help with cornering.

BenB - 6/10/07 at 03:28 PM

A lot of trikes do have ARBs. Allows softer suspension but with a hard roll bar (like a lot of modern cars!!!)

hexxi - 9/10/07 at 01:11 PM

I think a rollbar would be a good idea.

As there is only one rear wheel in the middle, the angle between the wheel and ground is allways exactly the same as the body roll. The more the body rolls, the less grip there is at rear wheel. (at least if you are using a car tyre).

As there is 2 front wheels(~twice the grip at fron than at rear) it should be a good idea to balance the difference. The rollbar reduces grip at the front as well as it reduces body roll which is very much needed at the rear.

Have I forgotten something?