Board logo

car with no bodywork
smart51 - 18/5/10 at 03:09 PM

The Ariel Atom made space frame cars with no bodywork popular. How comfortable would you be driving a ladder chassis car with no bodywork?

Think of a mid engined car with all the cooling at the back. Have a flat floor supported by outriggers, a braced roll over hoop and a scuttle hoop to support the steering and instruments, perhaps with a nose cone of some sort to keep the IVA man away from the pedal box. Would you be happy behind the wheel?

[Edited on 18-5-2010 by smart51]

adithorp - 18/5/10 at 03:22 PM

Most days in this country I'd be very damp, so probably unhappy.

Actually I was thinking the same thing this weekend when I saw a MEV Rocket at Llandow. Thier legs looked very exposed should the worst happen. Seemed to be some very big gaps between the tubes.

Stott - 18/5/10 at 03:45 PM

my friends just built one, iva on june 1st, i went out in it the other day and it's quite unnerving, and when we went through a small damp patch with the osf wheel I got really wet, bloody good fun though, but it does feel like you're gonna fall out the side at any second!

smart51 - 18/5/10 at 04:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stott
my friends just built one

Got a pic?

Stott - 18/5/10 at 04:53 PM

Here, and he started in November!! scratch built, chassis to his own design/dimensions, inspired by the Warner R4 off here that he saw at a show once, GSXR1000 power

bi22le - 18/5/10 at 05:03 PM

^^ Er yup thats tidy^^

I dont like the idea of it personally. Wind up my trouser leg, ill always be cold!!!

smart51 - 18/5/10 at 05:11 PM

I like that very much. What does it weigh?

It is a space frame though. I was thinking about a ladder chassis so no sides at all!

scootz - 18/5/10 at 05:19 PM

Like a TVR (but obviously fettled to suit the engine configuration of your choice)... ???

scootz - 18/5/10 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Here, and he started in November!! scratch built, chassis to his own design/dimensions, inspired by the Warner R4 off here that he saw at a show once, GSXR1000 power

Oh... and that looks pretty

Stott - 18/5/10 at 05:27 PM

449Kg with 2 gallons of fuel, it's 160bhp apparently, goes well

tegwin - 18/5/10 at 05:29 PM

quote:

Hmm.. some nice carbon fibre panels in those ruddy big holes and that would be a nice car!

BenB - 18/5/10 at 05:29 PM

Personally I quite like some creature comforts. So I'm not sure I'd fancy damp legs every time I go over a puddle. And I wouldn't fancy being liberally blasted with pebbles everytime I go over gravel.

RichardK - 18/5/10 at 06:19 PM

Does it have a floor or is it just the little bit near the pedals

Cheers

Rich

Stott - 18/5/10 at 06:55 PM

yeah look at it again and you'll see you're not looking at the tarmac through the holes, rather an ally floor with carbon covering it!

See what you mean though. It's all panelled in at the moment with plastic due to iva man saying he can put the radius tool in 300mm to try and contact everything, don't know if this is correct, but it's been covered anyway, plus you can't enter sprints with open sides.ss

COREdevelopments - 18/5/10 at 06:57 PM

That does look good. Very similar to Cloudy (james) Warner R4. I would no drive it without a floor though!!

Rob

nitram38 - 18/5/10 at 08:51 PM

Bunch of wooses
You could always tonneau it like mine

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 18/5/2010 by nitram38]

iank - 18/5/10 at 08:53 PM

quote:
... It's all panelled in at the moment with plastic due to iva man saying he can put the radius tool in 300mm to try and contact everything, don't know if this is correct, but it's been covered anyway, plus you can't enter sprints with open sides.ss

IIRC (think it was in a kitcar magazine) that was the original interpretation but has now been modified to something more sensible.

Stott - 18/5/10 at 09:07 PM

He's been down to see the tester a few times (and recently) and the guys adamant that he can poke the sphere in 300mm deep all over the car!

I thought it sounded extreme, as this disregards the floor line to the front as he's testing things behind and in line with it, I'll report how it goes after the test (June 1st) it's going to my local one which is in Llantrisant.

ATB
Stott

nitram38 - 18/5/10 at 10:32 PM

When I had my sva on the Motaleira, the tester Ian at Mitcham, said my car would fail the up and coming IVA because of the openings on my chassis.
Under sva, no problem, but IVA means contactable surfaces beyond the rails too

habboub - 25/8/15 at 06:13 PM

quote:

hi stott
do you have details of your project that i can see