Board logo

Cycle Wing Fixing
Ron Lang - 3/5/17 at 05:28 PM

Has anyone come up with a more "mechanical" way of fixing their cycle wing brackets on the zero? They were previously bonded on but came loose. I've seen people use some angle bonded either side of the bracket but wondered what other options I have. With such a stiff ride, I can't see how bonding is more than a short term solution.

russbost - 3/5/17 at 06:00 PM

We always bond the arches on on the Furore, only time I've ever had one come off it had been bonded on by a customer!

It's essential to break the "glaze" on the fibreglass surface, I just kiss them over with a grinder, & same for the flat bar/strip they are bonded to. If both surfaces are clean & roughened & you're using something like Siraflex (which we use) or Sika/Tiger seal then I'd be very surprised if you ever had one come adrift. The bonding agent isn't completely solid/rigid, so allows some vibration without disturbing the bond - this is basically the same stuff they stick windscreens in with & I've not seen any screens pop out as yet!!!

russbost - 3/5/17 at 06:03 PM

Sorry, accidentally posted twice!

[Edited on 3/5/17 by russbost]

Ron Lang - 3/5/17 at 06:36 PM

Ok, I'll give it a go. Previous builder had clearly not prepared surfaces of anything well as all the carpets are also dropping off. It's taking me hours to get the old glue off and prepare surface.

Now need to work out where exactly they're supposed to sit. Guessing I need to consult the IVA manual?

russbost - 3/5/17 at 06:41 PM

IVA specifies certain angles you have to comply with, it's fairly straightforward; & must cover the whole tyre surface across the width, arch edges usually need edge trim to eliminate sharp edges

nick205 - 3/5/17 at 06:55 PM

On my MK Indy I drilled and tapped some M5 holes in the brackets. I then boned and screwed the GRP wings in place - they never came off or even came loose over 3k miles. I used dome headed M5 allen bolts to secure them and took care not to over-tighten them.

zx12r dug - 3/5/17 at 07:26 PM

I've built 4 mks and a sonic 7 and have always bonded the arches on as I can't stand the look of bolts on display none of them have ever come loose

[Edited on 3/5/17 by zx12r dug]

rodgling - 3/5/17 at 07:26 PM

I used to have mine come loose fairly regularly (using just sikaflex). I've since used sikaflex to bond a bracket to the underside of the wings, then used fibreglass over the bracket to bond it into the wing, leaving just two M6 studs protruding to attach it to the main bracket coming off the upright. This feels very very secure - they are never coming off.

Banana - 3/5/17 at 10:07 PM

Tigerseal for me, secured with ratchet straps around the wheel while it cured.

Were still attached last time i checked.