Board logo

clay modelling
hexxi - 11/12/06 at 02:32 PM

I just bought some modelling clay. It`s red stuff and as far as I know the same stuff that is used by car manuafacturers to modell bodies of concept car models etc.

The stuff seems to be quite dry...is it supposed to be wetted before use? Is there any online cources in internet? I didn`t find any.

Peteff - 11/12/06 at 02:39 PM

Ask about art classes or pottery at your local adult education, they will have someone who knows how to use it. They used to have dustbins full of the stuff in red and grey when my wife went for classes.

RazMan - 11/12/06 at 04:06 PM

Clay can be adjusted in consistency by soaking in water until it absorbs enough to be as pliable as you need. If you get it really soggy it might crack as it dries so be careful.

907 - 11/12/06 at 07:23 PM

Hi Hexxi

If it is clay, then yes you can wet it, but if it is the stuff used in the model industry
then it's like a wax and needs to be heated to make it pliable.
Don't add water.

hth

Paul G

Gaz 1977 - 11/12/06 at 07:37 PM

hi there, if the clay is the same colour as the model in the pic and it is the industry clay. then dont wet it. it is a wax that needs to be heated to about 70 degrees to make it soft. It also contains sulpher so dont warm it in the wifes oven (it stinks) dont be tempted to use a microwave to heat it as the sulpher will cristalize and it will be very hard to get a decent finish. You will need to buy an old oven and heat the clay outside, dont shut the oven door and be very carefull, the stuff will catch fire if you are not carefull.

hope this is helpfull
Gaz. Rescued attachment clay.jpg
Rescued attachment clay.jpg