Board logo

MT75 Modification help
Front Row Joe - 2/12/09 at 01:04 PM

I'm in the porcess of offering my engine and gearbox up to the car for the first time. I need a little more clearance in my transmission tunnel to get the gearbox back a little further. I'm using an MT75 and there are four square lumps (2 either side of the box) which look to be solid ally. Can I grind these off without causing structural problems?? Any advice would be appreciated I can't seemed to find any previous posts on the matter.

Cheers

Joe

mangogrooveworkshop - 2/12/09 at 01:40 PM

Any pics?
Dont think it will cause a problem..

whilst on the subject of trimming bits off
See the seirra diff... it has a nose on the rear be very careful how much you grind off that some have been left with a 20 mm dia hole to fill

stevec - 2/12/09 at 01:43 PM

do you mean these things? If so I reckon you will be ok.
Steve

Bluemoon - 2/12/09 at 03:02 PM

Humm I'd want to know what they where for. You might find they are part of the selector mechanism.. On the other hand they might not be! I don't suppose the MT75 has an inspection plate like the type 9 you could then look inside..

dan

RAYLEE29 - 2/12/09 at 03:03 PM

dont think the one in the pic will fit unless you move your seat very high lol
Ray

RAYLEE29 - 2/12/09 at 03:06 PM

seriously though i think they are there for machining purposes but id look in the case before cutting them off
Ray

Front Row Joe - 2/12/09 at 03:55 PM

Cheers gents. The photo above (stevec)is what I'm on about. I'm happy to remove the two at the front. You can see they have no purpose by looking in the bell housing. I guess they were excess after the casting or to assist in storage. It's the one's at the back I'm worried about as I can't see behind them. I don't want to be left with a hole. Cheers for the advice re the diff. I was going to hack that off. Will have to careful now........

philtvr - 2/12/09 at 03:56 PM

Westfield instructions tells you to grind the lumps off to fit the mt75 into there chassis.

Marlon - 2/12/09 at 04:56 PM

I have chopped them off on mine with no problems, they are just there from the casting process.

john.

big_wasa - 2/12/09 at 04:57 PM

yes ive cut them of mine and more besides.

Ive also modified the reverse switch to get more clearance.

Front Row Joe - 2/12/09 at 06:16 PM

Thanks for your help. Angle grinder at the ready. With a fresh disc of course!

r1_pete - 2/12/09 at 07:39 PM

Yes I cut mine off too, just lumps of ally, maybe for holding purposes during factory assembly.

MikeRJ - 3/12/09 at 12:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Front Row Joe
Thanks for your help. Angle grinder at the ready. With a fresh disc of course!

Not supposed to grind aluminium at all with a ferrous grinding disc!

Front Row Joe - 3/12/09 at 05:28 PM

All ground off and looking shiney. No problems at all. I didn't generate any fireballs with the grinder either.

Bluemoon - 3/12/09 at 06:12 PM

^^ it's not fire balls, more exploding disks...