Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cost of moving a Gas meter ?
steve m

posted on 10/12/16 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Cost of moving a Gas meter ?

Hi

My sister has re designed her kitchen in preparation for a new one to be installed, and asked me, if I knew any one who could move her gas meter about one meter

Obviously, I let her know, that this isn't just a diy type of job, and even my skill set, would preclude me doing so,
but has anyone had their meter moved ? and how much did it cost ? to have it done professionally, assuming every job will be different

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

gremlin1234

posted on 10/12/16 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
it has to be done by the gas supply company
so ask them

steve m

posted on 10/12/16 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
According to the searches, It does not have to be done by the gas supplier, or gas board
one of the many many companies attached, does it, but no mention of costs

http://www.crownutilities.co.uk/domesticmeteralterations.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Text%20-%20Gas&utm_term=moving%2 0a%20gas%20meter&utm_content=Moving%20A%20Gas%20Meter

All we (she) needs is an idea of costs, as there is other work as well, as in the electric consumer unit to be moved, and that I can deal with, as work for an Electrician, who will get the job,

Personly I wouldnt bother doing all this work, but just re arrange the drawings to incorporate, what she has already got in the kitchen, but then we are dealing with my Sister, who doesn't need an encyclopedia, as she knows everything about everything already

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

sprintB+

posted on 10/12/16 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
As an ex gas engineer, it needs to be done professionally and then signed off. The Main gas supplier becomes involved if you have to move the incoming main, the piece before and including the stop valve before the meter. If you can move the meter without moving the valve, it can be done by a gas safe engineer. If moving the meter a long way consider adding another shut off valve at the meter, so that the emergency services can locate it easy, if god forbid, you ever need them.
sprintB+

posted on 10/12/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I forgot to mention cost. You have to estimate length of time, material cost and of course the labour cost. How far and how awkward is it is the main question I would ask, and the old saying get 3 quotes applies. If its a day's work its a big move, personally I would say here in the South West you have to be looking at £250-00. (that's my rate, and I'm out of the job now)
John G

posted on 10/12/16 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
We had to have ours moved about a half a metre as we were putting an extension on the part of the house where the metre was. The gas company had to do it as it was the high pressure pipe coming in to the metre. The metre was outside. Half a days work around £800 if I recall correctly! Metre was leaking a few days later!
benchmark51

posted on 10/12/16 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Had a similar problem, contacted British Gas and was told a month before they could come and see the job and 6 weeks before they could start on it. So I wrote to the chairman of BG and told him that I couldn't wait that long and would cancel Gas and go electric.

I had an immediate reply from him saying someone would be there within 2 days. Sure enough the area manager was there to look and the following day a gang of blokes arrived, they used a mole like thing which went from across the road under the pavement and into my garden. The meter was fitted in a white box on the outside of my kitchen wall ready for the boiler installer. Then the old gas installation and meter was removed and taken away. Had a letter from the chairman a few days later asking if the work was satisfactory and said it was free of charge.

Although this was over 30 years ago I still remember the man's name, Mr Frith of British Gas. Now that is what I call service.

coozer

posted on 10/12/16 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cost me £450 to move it from the inside to a outside cabinet, that's about 9 inches... That was 16 years ago and yes I put the cabinet in the wall myself!!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mark chandler

posted on 10/12/16 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
We had gas put in at the last house, was £800 from memory 6 years ago

I dug the trench to their specification, then the gang turned up, cut into the main, ran 3m of pipe to the new meter and commented that it was the neatest trench they had seen I bought a special narrow spade because I hate moving any more than is needed.

cliftyhanger

posted on 11/12/16 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
I understand there are people out there who do such jobs "after work" at about half the cost of going via the proper channels, and can be done next day. Takes them under an hour if everything is in place, they just cut the gas main and connect a fresh bit of gas plastic pipe, and connect to the meter in its new position.! Just what I heard, and may have seen.....
nick205

posted on 19/12/16 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
We had gas put in at the last house, was £800 from memory 6 years ago

I dug the trench to their specification, then the gang turned up, cut into the main, ran 3m of pipe to the new meter and commented that it was the neatest trench they had seen I bought a special narrow spade because I hate moving any more than is needed.

Nice - you can't beat having the right tool for the job!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.