Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: VW caddy brakes gone
KitCatE1

posted on 12/11/17 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
VW caddy brakes gone

Hi all bought a caddy a little while ago it’s been fine drove it 80 mile yesterday when I got home rear wheel was red hot could feel the heat as I walked past brakes were working fine. Got it out the garage today and the brake pedal is solid and have to stamp hard on it for any effect any ideas what has happened? I’m guessing it’s called cooked the caliper?
daviep

posted on 12/11/17 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't have thought one seized caliper would give you the symptoms you describe?

Have you checked that there is servo assistance?

I'm sure you already know but in case not here how to check servo operation. With the engine stopped pump the brake pedal five or six times to deplete any vacuum in the servo, and then hold it down hard, with the pedal still down start the engine and the pedal should drop a little as the servo applies a bit more force to it. If this doesn't happen find out whether it is a vacuum problem or a servo problem.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

KitCatE1

posted on 12/11/17 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
That’s what I don’t get pedal feels fine when I start the van one pump of the brake and the pedal becomes solid it drove perfectly all the way home on the motorway then 4miles of B roads everything perfectly fine 16 hours later sat in the garage this happens had it in the air wheel is moving freely I’m baffled
rusty nuts

posted on 13/11/17 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Is the Caddy a petrol or Diesel engine? If petrol check the vacuum hose for splitting especially near the inlet manifold also the non return valve by disconnecting the vacuum pipe from the servo , run the engine and check for vacuum at the disconnected end. For Diesel engines check the above , if you have no vacuum it could be the vacuum pump .
KitCatE1

posted on 16/11/17 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Is the Caddy a petrol or Diesel engine? If petrol check the vacuum hose for splitting especially near the inlet manifold also the non return valve by disconnecting the vacuum pipe from the servo , run the engine and check for vacuum at the disconnected end. For Diesel engines check the above , if you have no vacuum it could be the vacuum pump .

It’s the 1.9 Tdi pd engine finally had time to have a look today I’ve replaced the calliper as it’s shot piston royally seized and rubber all perished wheel now free again defiantly seems to be an issue with the vacuum pump or the pipe work near it servo assistance is present when I wiggle the pipe at the rear of the pump brakes are perfect then go again wiggle again and fine again for a few seconds pipes have some oil in there as well may well just be best swapping out the pump as the rear outlet is loose somehow

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 16/11/17 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
The plastic vac pipes normally split ?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.