Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Off road ideas please..
miskit

posted on 22/10/18 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Off road ideas please..

Quick re-cap. About 2 years ago I bought a non running, VW based UVA Fugitive Sand rail - which was kit from the 80's that could be made up as a road going car or off road. http://fugitives.co.uk/
Mine is an off road version. I got it running, then shortly after ripped out the VW gearbox and swing arm suspension and replaced it with a VW Camper/Bus gearbox and an IRS rear end from a Porsche 944. After a week on the road with that I decided I was not too keen on the engine and decided to upgrade the 39hp beetle for a 139hp MX5 1.8 engine that I had. Much fun was had joining the box and engine as well as replacing all of the electrics, hydraulics etc. This was the end result (with my mates version behind!) :

Now about 1000 miles later there are a few winter things to do (clean the mud out for a start!) - driving it is fun, BUT basically I am missing the challenge of the build so I will probably sell it.

So now looking for a new challenge. I want to build a similar style car but with a more modern chassis, probably modifying an existing frame design. I have just been taking a look at the Midlana chassis which I like the look of and rear engine makes sense - obviously the the suspension would need to be re-thought as it's a road car but there are plenty of designs out there - or just rip off a 4x4 set up. It would be a 80/20 Road/off-road - but I like the Sand rail style. I am resigned to having to IVA whatever it is.

Ideas please!

CNHSS1

posted on 23/10/18 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Luvvin your rail super cool!!

Is you mates a Tamiya SuperChamp replica?

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

JAG

posted on 23/10/18 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
When I was young (<15!) I always wanted one of these

Not that I'm ever likely to buy one but they look like so much fun.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/10/18 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I just love sand rails...................

Your's looks just awesome

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
miskit

posted on 23/10/18 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
Luvvin your rail super cool!!

Is you mates a Tamiya SuperChamp replica?

Thanks!

If that's an RC car, then yes - he was big into them and designed it to look like one! He runs a Subaru engine and has run it round the Sahara. Sandrail#23 is his FB

CNHSS1

posted on 23/10/18 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yep it's an rc car from back in the day &#128077;

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

beaver34

posted on 29/10/18 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Looks great!

drop me a u2u if your looking to sell in the future i may be interested

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.