Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: TIPO 184
ettore bugatti

posted on 23/12/20 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
TIPO 184

https://tipo184.com/

Looks pretty cool, turning your MX-5 into an Alfa Tipo 159 Alfetta look-a-like 30s racer.

It is based on the car Ant Anstead built for the series "Master Mechanic".

steve m

posted on 23/12/20 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Looks very nice, but you dont get much for 7.5k

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

russbost

posted on 23/12/20 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Very pretty, but I'd be interested to see someone who's 6' plus & 15 or 16 stone plus (in other words a fairly typical British guy or a lightweight American) getting in & out of that!!!

Also, why on earth have they made the chassis so complex, given the tube size & spacing surely a lot of the triangulation is pointless & I think is largely spoilt by keeping all the ugly bits od Mazda suspension

Interesting idea, but rather spoilt in the execution

[Edited on 23/12/20 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/12/20 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair that's a really good looking replica that would fool 99.9999% of the population into thinking that really was a vintage F1 car. Would be so fast too and just an old MX5 for the donor amazing. This was kinda what the Haynes single seater was meant to be...

Must get very hot though and it looks like your legs would be either side of the gearbox

awwh look at the baby propshaft how cute...

[Edited on 23/12/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 23/12/20 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
It does look cool, as i said above, but who in there right mind is going to buy the very minimalistic items for £7500 and put in a lot more money into getting it driveable, to only find when finished, it will never pass an IVA, and even putting lights etc , would ruin it, its not allowed on UK roads with out wheel arches, and that would ruin the look' Not many tracks allow open wheel track days. And you cant race it in an Historic event, as its not!

Pretty to look at though except the rusty dreadful suspension on the silver car,

Oh, and i really do like the look of it!!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ettore bugatti

posted on 23/12/20 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
With a bit of thought and budget, it should be do-able to get it through IVA.

Black satin wheel arches wont obstruct the looks too much and MEV Exocet have a proven way to mount wheel arches to the MX-5 uprights.

For the lights a pop-up construction like the Light Car Company Rocket and Brooke ME190 is an elegant way to do that.

It is slighty expensive compared to for example an ANC replicar, but it is very unique so it might be worth it to so people. I dont think they are going to struggle to sell 10 of them.

Although that fake 8 cylinder exhaust manifold would have to go if I was building one. I think a supercharger on it would tick my boxes.

[Edited on 23/12/20 by ettore bugatti]

Sam_68

posted on 23/12/20 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think that body-coloured mudguards would necessarily look too bad, if done sensitively.

The very similar looking Talbot Lago T26 ran in both open-wheel Grand Prix form, and with lights and mudguards (and an offset seating position) as the T26 Grand Sport:

[Edited on 23/12/20 by Sam_68]

JC

posted on 24/12/20 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Was it Vanwall that used portions of tyres as mudguards on a similar car?Edit: Yes it was!

[Edited on 24/12/20 by JC]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mojojeff

posted on 1/2/21 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I was really hoping this might be almost affordable, but at over £21,000 for the kit! i'm out!

Always nearly finished.

russbost

posted on 1/2/21 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Don't exaggerate, it's a mere £17,880 if you buy it altogether for a discount. Oh! & add a knackered Mazda, & some other items you'll need to get thro' IVA, (assuming you're going that route, as it has very limited use otherwise) like seat belts, lights, mudguards & stays etc etc plus all the refurb work, you might just about have it on the road for £21k

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Slimy38

posted on 2/2/21 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti

Although that fake 8 cylinder exhaust manifold would have to go if I was building one. I think a supercharger on it would tick my boxes.

[Edited on 23/12/20 by ettore bugatti]

Agreed, the discolouration makes it very clear that it's 50% fake. That's like production cars with multiple exhaust tips, but only half are actually showing steam.

(Yes, I know some cars like the Golf has switchable exhausts, but there are plenty out there that just have fake tips).

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.