Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chinese diesel heater power supply
theprisioner

posted on 22/1/23 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Chinese diesel heater power supply

I have purchased one of these to see how good they are and have noted a potential reliability issue when you run one of these devices off a mains supply like a generator ot a mains power supply. I have built a battery backed up supply to mitigate the issue and wish to share it with you.

These heaters are extremely compact and efficient and give out up to 8KW on maximum and heats large spaces easily as it has a high air flow. I guess you get what you pay for but these are on Fleabay for £180. I have no idea how long they last but heating my workshop with energy prices as the are is somewhat difficult.

I have put this video together to see if anyone else has been using these devices and noted the reliability issue.

Have a look at the video link and please feel free to comment.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

coyoteboy

posted on 23/1/23 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Ah I love the fact that you're actually creating useful videos unlike 99% of youtube. Much appreciated.

Can you estimate the fuel usage and give details on your workshop size/type? This might be a useful option for me in the near future.

theprisioner

posted on 23/1/23 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
My workshop is approx 5m x 12m and 1.5 - 2 stories high to accommodate a 4 post car lift. It is completely uninsulated except for a small machine shop in the corner. The Chinese device raised the temperature recently from 0deg C to 15 degC in less than an hour. When the temperature is so low (1-3deg) I cannot function these days. The fuel consumption I have not measured but consider: It is the most efficient way of converting diesel fuel energy source to heat, you will not beat that with the SSEB or the gas company as the burner runs so efficiently and at a very high temperature such that it produces no soot or smoke. The three times I have used it for about 4 hours at a time and I have used about a litre. If I could get red diesel it would make the cost even cheaper. There are videos on YouTube that cover the cost of running efficiency etc and computed better than my estimate. I am no sales person for these heaters but they appear to be a good product despite being made in China. The thing that impressed me was the capability of the controller, if that were to go wrong then the whole thing will be toast. The only threat to reliability I can detect is the power supply must be reliable.

quinnj3

posted on 24/1/23 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Would it run on heating oil rather than diesel? My mode of heating is a woolly coat and jacket plus thermals. Once I’m moving I tend to be ok.

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

keljon

posted on 24/1/23 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quinnj3
Would it run on heating oil rather than diesel? My mode of heating is a woolly coat and jacket plus thermals. Once I’m moving I tend to be ok.

i have one and it runs on all sorts, i tend to use old engine oil and diesel but it will run perfectly on kerosene and heating oil too

theprisioner

posted on 25/1/23 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I am happy now it has a proper power supply, I even left it running while I went a small message away from the workshop.

nick205

posted on 26/1/23 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Ah I love the fact that you're actually creating useful videos unlike 99% of youtube. Much appreciated.

Can you estimate the fuel usage and give details on your workshop size/type? This might be a useful option for me in the near future.

Ditto on the useful video - good to watch something interesting and useful!

paulf

posted on 28/1/23 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have had one of these heating my workshop for a couple of years and it has been generally reliable apart from the glowplug failing after about 6 months of use but was easily replaced.
I just keep it connected to an old but working car battery and a trickle charger when in use to allow it to shut down correctly.
I keep thinking of alternative fuels as diesel is now too expensive for my liking but cant buy heating oil or red diesel much cheaper in small quantitys, i do have about 50 litres of used hydraulic and light gear oil that i could use but im not sure whether it would coke up the burner or how well it would burn as its synthetic food grade lubricants mixed in 25 litre drums.
Paul.

[Edited on 28/1/23 by paulf]

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/1/23 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keljon
quote:
Originally posted by quinnj3

i have one and it runs on all sorts, i tend to use old engine oil and diesel but it will run perfectly on kerosene and heating oil too

Please tell us more. How well does it run on waste oil? Or do you use a mix? Any special settings?
I plan on making a DIY waste oil burner but these chinese heaters look to be very efficient.

[Edited on 29/1/23 by cliftyhanger]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.