Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch issue diagnosis
number-1

posted on 8/2/24 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch issue diagnosis

The subject in question is a 2009 Hyundai I30 1.6 petrol N/A engine. The model is referred to an FD. 45K on the clock. I will list the symptoms and in brackets what i would say could be the cause. The issues are......

At very low traffic speeds.....5mph in 1st gear. when i let off the accelerator, the car almost instantaneously feels like is coming to a stop...it sort of lurches forwards, but if i lightly touch the accelerator the car lurches backwards and forwards and creates a kangaroo effect. This only happens in 1st. (possible engine mounts)

The clutch release point seems to change quiet a bit through gears 2-5. Almost like the flywheel is spinning to fast to smoothly engage the clutch and hasn't slowed down enough but still very low to normal height. (Not too sure but possible needs bleeding)

Mega low biting point. Literally push the clutch down as far as it goes and release a couple of cm is the biting point. Yet in other gears its as above but still very low (possible clutch fluid change or bleeding)

In traffic with my foot pressing the clutch pedal, the longer i keep it pressed, the harder it is to engage the gears (possible needs bleeding)

Sometimes selecting higher gears causes a crunch (Not too sure)

Now, through research i know the I30 FD is known to have a really low 1st gear biting point and clutch issues are common due to the splines in the OEM pressure plate being weak and loosing strength.

I know that a few of you will have had the same issues in the past but i cant think of the right words to describe the issue

Any ideas?

Cheers

N1

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/2/24 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
1) Bleed the clutch line.
2) Check for leaking fluid around the cylinders and hoses.
3) Check your engine isn't falling off.
4) Give the car a good kick, threaten it with the crusher (often works).

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/2/24 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I like it how my advice has clearly covered all possible bases, since no one else has come with any other suggestions. Even though I was eating a McDonald's at the time and dealing with the annoying kids.

Aced it

Do you remember the days when any simple question led to weeks of heated debate, name calling and people getting banned? I miss that...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 10/2/24 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Do you remember the days when any simple question led to weeks of heated debate, name calling and people getting banned? I miss that...

Ahh! calvinx and hellfire. They were the days

jacko

posted on 11/2/24 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

Ahh! calvinx and hellfire. They were the days

Yes I remember them well
We need them days back
Graham

number-1

posted on 12/2/24 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies

After watching a video on changing a clutch on an I30.......i will start with new fluid and a good bleed as changing the clucth is a pain.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.