Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Build plan help????
Findlay234

posted on 15/1/03 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Build plan help????

its well known that locosters often get to a stage where they have lots to do, little time to do it in and cant workout what to do next. weve all seen the questions on this forum like, when do i put on the body work, when do i drop in the engine.

Thats the idea behind this build plan. The 'Book' is fine but it doesnt cover everything in a logical manner, ie as its done on the car. Also i realise that many things can be done in different ways and orders. i want a plan for my build to help me work through it logically.

What i have hopefully attached at the bottom of the post is a build plan, listing everything that needs to be done in a logical order with notes. Hopefully ive covered everything but thats where you all come in. If its possible can you read it and make your suggestions to the plan. anything that needs to be added, taken away, changed etc. how ever harsh also any anecdotes you have that may be helpful in anyway to a builder. the eventual plan is post this on a web page as a locost build manual to help all new and seasoned builders alike.

i have only compiled this today so it doesnt have everything in it. may even elaborate on the SVA side of things.

cheers for any input.
fin

Metal Hippy™

posted on 15/1/03 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Chris W has been talking to me about this as I'm helping out where I can with the development of the new site.

You've beaten me to it.

Cheers...

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

Metal Hippy™

posted on 15/1/03 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sort of anyway.

Not quite the same thing...

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

ijohnston99

posted on 15/1/03 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Dead easy!

So why is it taking me so long!!!!!

Findlay234

posted on 15/1/03 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
so is there anything ive missed out?

if you think ive covered everything then please say so as well, so i dont end up wasting valuable time looking for something ive missed out.i need to start the build as soon as the chassis arrives.

cheers
fin

[Edited on 16/1/03 by Findlay234]

Mark H

posted on 16/1/03 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Fin,

Your first item is to contact VRA re chassis number. I understand you can make a suitable number yourself.

Wouldn't it be cool with your own surname part of it or whatever, date of build, engine size, lottery numbers, etc so that it means something to you? Something like 12 or 13 numbers (I can check for you if required - its on the SVA application form).

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

Findlay234

posted on 16/1/03 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
you can choose your own chassis no'
hmmmmm opens a world of possibilties, is there restriction on the combination of letters and numbers that go into it?

Mark H

posted on 16/1/03 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

On the SVA application form item 1 is where you put your VIN.

It has to be "suitable" and it looks like you need 17 characters. So swear words probably aren't acceptable! I think the last few characters should probably be 001 to show that its the first car of this series.

The Fail-safe is "where the number is considered to be inadequate you'll be refered to your local VRO for them to allocate a suitable number".

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

kingr

posted on 17/1/03 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
It's certainly a very interesting document, but the build order is so flexible. My plan is to build a rolling chassis (ie. suspension, brakes and steering), mount the engine and fuelling, then electics, and then paneling.

Something like that, anyway, cash is going to be the biggest hold up.

Kingr

Findlay234

posted on 17/1/03 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
dont i know it. i need $$$$$$$$$$$$$££$$$$$$$$$
Mark Allanson

posted on 17/1/03 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I sold my road car (Bertone X19) to finance the build, I am using a push bike for work to increase the saving, ALL the spare cash I have saved goes on the Seven!!
Findlay234

posted on 25/1/03 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
well ive been selling things by the bucket load. sold me fish tank. (everyone say's HUH????) well it had sentimental value to me, found it when we moved into this house and used it ever since then, oh and yes, i am wierd.

anyway, back to the original topic.......... im guessing the list is quite comprehensive?

cheers
fin

Dave Ashurst

posted on 25/1/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Looks v. good.

But do check whether you should really use hydrocarbon grease with polyurethane bushes? I thought not. I think they absorb it.

I used silicone grease, thought it should be right(???) Bought a big fat tube of Dow-Corning electrical compound for this purpose at a show 2 yrs ago.

Best to check with someone who really knows perhaps. Take qualified advice.... hopefully it'll prove not to be a real issue.

regards
Dave

Rorty

posted on 26/1/03 at 04:02 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know if you're correct using silicon grease. For best results with PU bushes, use either graphite grease or molybdenum disulphide grease.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.