Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Nurburgring
carnut

posted on 20/3/03 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Nurburgring

Has anyone lapped the Nurburgring's Nordschliefe in a locost. If so what time did you lap it in?

Someone in a bike powered locost must be able to get near the sub 8min standard set by a few of the best. (that includes the R500 and Jag XJ220). Im going to ignore the fastest lap by the 911 as it was non standard and using dirty tires.

Im taking mine later in the year to see what it can do!

MK9R

posted on 21/3/03 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I'm considering going in the scooby in August. You have to makesure the tarck is open to the public when you want to go.
Useful link:-
Ben Lovejoys page

Looks bloody great!!!!!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gadrego

posted on 21/3/03 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think the caterham Blackbird got pretty close to sub 8 mins. Thing is though, all these lap times are set by people who know the ring like the back of their hand and I think this is probably worth at least a minute a lap. Other thing to consider with a BEC is that there are some very fast parts which will favour much more powerful cars rather than lightweight BEC's. I remeber reading an article in EVO about the R500 at the ring and the aurthor described how they were on the main straight at the Caterham's rev limiter in 6th for what seemed liked minutes. See the problem? Definetly worth a go though. I think anything under 9.5 mins for a ring beginner would be some achievment. I managed 11 and a half mins in a golf. More fun than you can possibly imagine. Everybody should do it at least once. Check out this video. Even if you have a slow connection its worth downloading.
http://g2.nu/chris/westie/media/index.php
Enjoy!

Findlay234

posted on 21/3/03 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Shite, "There is around one death a month there, and countless more serious injuries"

look at the crash photos.

auzziejim

posted on 21/3/03 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
iv just seen that too findlay pretty scary stuff even the pics where people walked away

James

MK9R

posted on 21/3/03 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
I love the tourist buses!!!!! I would never have done it on the bike, far too many looy cabbage munchers!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 1/5/03 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I went last September too!

A theme park for petrolheadz, plonked on the top of stunning German Mountains.

http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/ddell_1800

This was B4 they banned videoing!!! (Got 12 laps on tape)

10:16 BTG in a prepped Saab 9000 Carlsson 2.3T

Plus lots of 11 & 12 minute laps getting out the way of porkers, bikes, the Ringmini, the Ringtaxi .......u get the idea.

3 tourist buses felt like they were parked but weren't and I overtook a 911 into Metzgesfeld which was nice.

Thats where my locost is going when its finished. Would never take the Duke tho' but maybe a disposable bike

Wouldnt like to have an off there in a Locost though, hence the full cage, not that it would help that much.

Learn the circuit layout on the PC sim "Grand Prix Legends" it has a very accurate effort at a virtual Ring. Although I found it cannot prepare you for the elevation changes and related "G's"

There are lots of accidents but a large majority are bikers who hit oil/debris and people who think they can drive, (and who possibly can) but attempt to gun it from their first lap. Noooooo. "Its not yer normal trackday Astra Boy it's 14 miles long FFS"

Learn it first, enjoy it, then build speed slowly over several visits.

Ben Lovejoys site is great and so is the "Ringers list" on smartgroups,

http://www.smartgroups.com/group/group.cfm?GID=676210

Anyone fancy a Ring trip in early September?

ATB

Dave

[Edited on 1/5/03 by Sideways 2 Victory]

www.nurburgring.org

carnut

posted on 2/5/03 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I cant wait to take my car but ill just take it quite easy as you say as i dont want to wreck my car just after ive finished it.
jmbillings

posted on 8/6/03 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've been a couple of times- first time in my golf, but was pissing it down with rain- second time in the locost, but we still took it slow. A lot of the bends have funny cambers or summits and can unsettle the car, we didn't time the run... But I agree, worth doing just for the stroll around the car park!
owbow

posted on 17/7/03 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Anyone fancy a Ring trip in early September?

september 12/13/14/15 i will be there... details are on www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs

look under international

o

building it, but someone else is gonna drive it... i must be daft!

MK9R

posted on 20/7/03 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Another scooby owning locoster joining me?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

A Badger

posted on 8/8/03 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Acording to EVO mag this month. A Radical SR3 with a turbo 1500cc Megabusa engine has just lapped the ring in 7:19.

They were only allowed one flying lap and feel that the gearing and suspension setup were not quite right.

Jeeez, what will they do with some more practice.

Andrew

andyps

posted on 8/8/03 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
There is a full report on the Radical lap in this weeks Autocar magazine - they did get to practice, but only one flat out lap so beating a seriously tuned Porsche 911 by 12.8 seconds was a great achievement.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 8/8/03 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Which version of the radical was it?

The souped up one aint really road legal is it?

Gotta be road legal for the proddy car record.

Still, giz a go.

ATB

Dave

www.nurburgring.org

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.