Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Top gear - Cadillac W16
bob

posted on 28/7/03 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Lads

Get yourself down to the Brooklands Museum and have a look at the Napier Railton,as mentioned earler 24 litres in a W12 formation its a fantastic piece of iron and ally.

http://www.brooklands.org.uk/

ned

posted on 28/7/03 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
i thoght it was wierd as it has three conrods connecting to one crank journal. i guess three cylinders on the same row have to fire at the same time?

biarre, or is this how all w12's work?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 2/8/03 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmmmm....interesting thread, but....I'm sure the Cadillac motor in question is actually a V16.....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 2/8/03 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Alan

the thread diversed a bit as we do

this V16 caddy eng that becomes V8 or V4 is not new technology,they (cadilac)have been messing around with this thing for a couple of decades that i know of.And i think it was on the drawing board in the 50's

[Edited on 2/8/03 by bob]

kingr

posted on 3/8/03 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
The frictional losses of running a V16 as a V4 must be horrific as well.

Kingr

Browser

posted on 10/8/03 at 03:50 AM Reply With Quote
Two more Napier engines. First the Sabre, used in the Hawker Typhoon/Tempest aircraft, was an H24 (two banks of 12 cylinders each mounted one on top of the other). Second, the Nomad, a (I think) flat 12 with a compounded 3 stage turbocharger, used for powering aircraft. Napier really did come up with some mad internal combustion devices.
Does anyone remember that Aussie motor froma few years back which used a scotch yoke-type crank? Was supposedly better that conventional crankshaft/conrod arrangements as it allowed the engine to be more compact. Anyone know what happened to it?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.