Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking about getting a Locost
Chris71

posted on 9/7/07 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thinking about getting a Locost

Hi,

Firstly hello, as this is my first time on this website for a long time

I fabricated a Locost chasis a few years back and was also involved in running my university's car in the race series, but never actually got round to completing mine. I still don't have the time or space to do so and maybe be selling the chasis shortly.

I am however vaguely thinking about buying a complete car. Recently started thinking about something a bit more entertaining to replace my mk1 MX5 on a budget and was originally thinking of something like a Dutton Phaeton. I know these are a little primitive, but I was looking to spend under £3000 and was more interested in fun factor than pace. Then I started considering something like a Sylva Leader (equally ugly, but rather better engineered) and finally the thought occured that you might be able to pick up a secondhand Locost for £3k ish.

Is this budget realistic and what spec would you expect for the money?

Coose

posted on 9/7/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
What about this?

Spin 'er off Well...

Chris71

posted on 9/7/07 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Think I might have seen that car elsewhere actually. I'm quite tempted by a Sylva Leader, so the Striker did cross my mind. A half decent (and complete) one would be out of my budget I think and not sure I really want to spend that much time working on one.

I have just about enough space to store one over night, but no covered workshop space at the moment.

Memphis Twin

posted on 9/7/07 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I used to hillclimb a Leader before moving on to a Striker and then a Mallock,(transferring the x-flow engine from the Leader to the Striker). Sure, the Striker was lighter hence quicker at most courses, but it was nowhere near as much fun (!) and the difference in performance was not that great. I had some very successful events with the Leader at places like Harewood, Ragley Hall, Curborough and Thoresby Park. All courses where handling and chuckability (not to mention brain-out bottle) are as important as outright top speed. Despite it's modest underpinnings, I got the Leader handling beautifully...
Part of the attraction of the Leader was that for £2000 you could go out and beat most of the Locaterfield crew, and boy did they hate that!

I've also had Phaetons in the past (actually re-engineering one right now!) and can honestly say that the Leader is streets ahead on engineering integrity and quality. It also fits well with the "LO-COST" ethos.

If you can find a good 'un, go for it!

Cheers Chris.

Chris71

posted on 9/7/07 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have to be honest, the Leader is my favourite so far. They seem to be pretty rare though and I think they've all been raced at some point, so guess most have had a few meetings with hay bales!

Do you think the Leader is actually more fun than the Strikers? Presumably in terms of being a bit more tail happy? I'm looking for a fun road car that can maybe do the occasional autotest or trackday, so entertaining handling is far more important than pace, as long as it can overtake the Sunday drivers.

Another design that's caught my eye is the Vindicator Sprint. Always thought they were mid engined, but it seems it's just a conventional 7 clone with the passenger compartment moved forward a little to give it a boot.

MikeRJ

posted on 9/7/07 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris71
Another design that's caught my eye is the Vindicator Sprint.

They do tend to catch peoples eyes, but not usualy for the right reasons

Chris71

posted on 9/7/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Chris71
Another design that's caught my eye is the Vindicator Sprint.

They do tend to catch peoples eyes, but not usualy for the right reasons

You think that's bad I was originally contemplating a Phaeton. Well, still am to a certain extent and the current car of choice (the Leader) is barely any better looking!

zilspeed

posted on 9/7/07 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't possibly comment.

Ugly, yes - apart from this angle :-)

P.S. You can fit a zetec in one of these if you fancy a modern engine

Oh, and mine (this one) cost me £650. Now that's locost.

[Edited on 9/7/07 by zilspeed] Rescued attachment _MG_5856.JPG
Rescued attachment _MG_5856.JPG

billynomates

posted on 9/7/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Considering selling a part built tiger avon if your interested. Not much left to buy to finish it off, just needs some time putting in.
Chris71

posted on 9/7/07 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, wonder what the aerodynamics are like on the Leaders.... Looking at that shot, they're actually a much more enveloping body than the distinctly sevenesque Duttons! IIRC Sylva used to say there was a 20 to 30mph speed difference down the main straight of one UK circuits between a Fury and Striker of equal power due to the increased drag.

Zilspeed - what sort of condition did you get yours in?!

From what I've heard it sounds like the Leader handles as well as the vast majority of 7 clones at a fraction of the cost. Don't suppose they'd be slow with a Fiat twincam in either. Even for £2-3000 a half decent one sounds like a bargain, £650 is very good indeed.

The V8 idea was principally if I went for the Dutton - if I had something that was going to be agrictultural anyway, I might as well have a hulking great V8 in there before the eco-weenies make them illegal

[Edited on 9/7/07 by Chris71]

zilspeed

posted on 9/7/07 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Chris

My car was bought in the condition you see it in that picture for £650 - except for a holed sump, which cost 20 quid IIRC. Other than that it's really down to fettling, cleaning and painting.

Anyone who has seen it up close will confirm it is not really anything like as nice as it looks in that picture. But put it this way. I have more time than money and also have a keen eye for a bargain.

I certainly would recommend a Sylva, but that's mainly because they're so rare and it's always nice to not be part of the crowd.

Chris71

posted on 9/7/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
I certainly would recommend a Sylva, but that's mainly because they're so rare and it's always nice to not be part of the crowd.

I agree entirely - my dad's got a stylus

The more I think about it, the more I want one. Haven't seen any recently, but found a couple of old ads on the 'net, for apparently well specced, tidy cars going for £1600 or so. Seems ridiculous given what you hear about cars like Robin Hoods which go for 3 times that.

PS Out of curiosity, what engine have you got in yours?

[Edited on 9/7/07 by Chris71]

zilspeed

posted on 9/7/07 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Currently has a xflow.

But.....

I have here a ZX10 engine which was going to be going in, but I really fancy having a reverse gear, so I have done a deal on a 2.0 zetec running 45 DHLAs and Weber Alpha. So, the ZX10 package is for sale.
The Zetec won't be outrageously powerfull, but my old Sylva broke back axles when it's zetec was pushed to the 200bhp mark. (not in my hands, I hasten to add).

Memphis Twin

posted on 9/7/07 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think the Leader is actually quite attractive. I personally have never seen the aesthetic appeal of a 7 clone.

The Leader, because of it's front biased weight distribution (driver sits well forward of the rear axle) and front air dam, can get quite tail happy when pushed, but this trait certainly helps when negotiating hillclimb hairpins etc.

The Striker was very light on the front, and was very prone to locking front wheels under heavy braking.Inherent understeer was also a major problem that took a lot of sorting. At the tight, twisty, bumpy Thoresby Park sprint track, the Leader was slightly quicker, despite being 100kg heavier! Had class wins there in both cars (against much more exotic machinery) but driving the Striker was always a "Death or Glory" type of experience. One year I won the class on the Saturday, but on the Sunday stuffed it into the bank twice, ...the Leader, however, stuck to the track like the proverbial to a blanket.

RK

posted on 10/7/07 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
I would say that if you are a mechanically inclined person with experience, finishing off a car is possible, I suppose. If you are like me, and can't even do rivets, you are going to spend a lot of hard earned money on it, and pretty soon you're in so deep you will never get out.
Chris71

posted on 10/7/07 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
I would say that if you are a mechanically inclined person with experience, finishing off a car is possible, I suppose. If you are like me, and can't even do rivets, you are going to spend a lot of hard earned money on it, and pretty soon you're in so deep you will never get out.

I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, but I have very little space. This might sound like a joke, but one of the reasons I started looking at a sevenesque car, is the lockups round here barely allow you to open the door on a normal saloon. So, I'd have enough room to store the car, but nowhere to do any significant work. Time is also an issue when it comes to doing big jobs. I had a mahoosive workshop full of tools and no day job when I built my Locost chassis at uni, it's a bit different now

Handling wise the Leader sounds rather more entertaining than the Striker, providing it's tail happy nature is controlable.

iank

posted on 10/7/07 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
1.5 days left at £310

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sylva-Leader-2-seat-kit-car-with-1800-twin-cam-engine_W0QQitemZ200126049629QQihZ010QQcategoryZ29750QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

Looks like it needs a fair bit of fettling, but it's already registered on a Q.

NTDWM

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Chris71

posted on 10/7/07 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I'd already seen that one. Looks like a little bit too much work required! To be honest, I'm sure enough things will crop us as I use it, I'd rather get something in good condition to start with, with the possible exception of a very good deal on a car requiring a very small ammount of work (something I could drive back and spend a few weekends fettling, nothing I have to tow!)

I was thinking something more like this,

http://freespace.virgin.net/toni.dwornik/Sylva.htm

Or I was feeling a bit more adventurous this,

http://www.motorbase.com/auctionlot/by-id/404983961/

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.