Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Why, oh why?
C10CoryM

posted on 26/7/07 at 02:44 AM Reply With Quote
Why, oh why?

Do you guys always stick the battery so high up in the car?

I am partially joking, but also wondering why on such a light car you put what is probaby the 6th heaviest component so high up. It looks like there is usually room lower in front of the passenger footbox.
Maybe left over from the days of old lucas wiring so you can disconnect the battery in a hurry?
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 26/7/07 at 02:51 AM Reply With Quote
Mine's in the passenger footwell!

And I'm planning to move it out as it's a pain in the arse losing the storage space!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

designer

posted on 26/7/07 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
The basic principle of the battery is that it should be mounted as near to the starter motor as possible due to the voltage drop in the wire.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 26/7/07 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Mines' on the floor behind the steering rack.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

worX

posted on 26/7/07 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
my battery is mounted in front of the passenger footwell, and still utilises the leads from the bike...

Steve
Description
Description

Agriv8

posted on 26/7/07 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Mine in the passenger footwell !.

Under the scuttle ( so cant see that the wireing is that much longer than having it sat on the scuttle )

Oh it also helps to keep the battery cool !

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

mark chandler

posted on 26/7/07 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Mines right by the engine also, but I dragged everything I could inside the wheel base of the car so the Rad moved back also.

Advantage of both weight, standard battery leads from bike and regulator sits by battery so gets lots of passing air. Rescued attachment battery.JPG
Rescued attachment battery.JPG

nick205

posted on 26/7/07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Mine's on above the passenger footwell in the engine bay. The battery to starter lead is now thicker and shorter than in the donor car.

I'd like to have put it in front of the footwell in the engine bay, but with a car engine and battery there wasn't enough room.

I did also consider taking some space inside the passenger footwell, but that would make it very awkward for passengers and reduce the already minimal stowage space too.

russbost

posted on 26/7/07 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
"The basic principle of the battery is that it should be mounted as near to the starter motor as possible due to the voltage drop in the wire."

Well, yes when we had inertia starters & points ignition. Nowadays there is no reason not to put the battery in the most advantageous place - surely for 7 clones that would be behind the rear axle, get some weight over those driving wheels!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nitram38

posted on 26/7/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
There is not much volt drop in battery cable if you use the right size!
If you move a battery further away, just get a slightly bigger cable.

iank

posted on 26/7/07 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Mini worked perfectly well with the battery in the boot.

As nitram38 says if you get the correct size cable you can put it in the best place for weight distribution.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

lsdweb

posted on 26/7/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'd suggest go on:
A - Safest position
B - Best for weight distribution
C - Shortest cable runs (alhtough not a huge problem)

Mine's under my knees btw.

Wyn

Hellfire

posted on 26/7/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Centrally mounted behind steering rack level with bottom of chassis.

Steve

RoadkillUK

posted on 26/7/07 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Does it really matter? Just make sure you've got one that works

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.