Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: wishbone bushings/bearings
hexxi

posted on 23/3/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
wishbone bushings/bearings

What are the real options for the front wishbone mounting to the frame for a road going car? I`m designing a vehicle with double wishbones at front, which will be probably somewhat longer than in a normal locost.

My consideration is that the suspension with common rubber bushings would fluctuate too much, especially when braking.

I would not like to use spherical bearings because they haven`t got any dampening and also they don`t have any protection agains dust and dirt.

In the book "chassis engineering" from Herb Adams there`s 5 pages of bushings. He claims that polyurethane bushings don`t do any good because the surfaces of the bushings should slide to allow the rotating motion and when they don`t, they block the movement of the suspension. Rubber bushings rotate by twisting the whole rubber part.

Obviously powerflex claims that the polyurethane bushing are the best ever

[Edited on 23/3/09 by hexxi]

MK chippy

posted on 23/3/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'd imagine that most people have used the poly bush to be honest

nick205

posted on 23/3/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Correctly designed and installed, the polyurethane bush and crush tube should work as a bearing. i.e. the inner crush tube is fixed and the poly bush rotates around it whilst remaining static within the wishbone itself. The crush tube/bush interface nees to be lubricated to allow free rotation.

From what you describe I'd say poly bushes would be the ideal solution.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.