Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The ideal garage....
gregs

posted on 10/1/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
The ideal garage....

Hi all,

Dreaming at the moment, but if everything continues to plan, I should soon be able to build a garage how I want....only problem is I'm not sure what I want, so I thought I'd ask you guys & gals.

External dimensions limited to 8m x 16m (but doesnt have to be that big!), and roof height to 4m, but other than that pretty much free draw.

I don't think I will have the vertical space for a ramp (unless I dig downwards....which might be worth it) and if not I guess I should have a pit. I want space for 4 cars in there plus lathe / milling machine. An area for computer etc.... sink and kettle.... painting/spraying area.... toilet.... roof mounted lifting tackle....industrial shelving... what else?

With sensible head on how will I heat it?...is it worth insulating?... how much will it cost me to build?, best construction method (block&brick / timber / steel?) any other obvious considerations?...

Appreciate it's a very open ended question but want to try and avoid the 'if only i'd thought of it' scenario.

Thanks all

Greg

boggle

posted on 10/1/10 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like you are building a small industrial unit!!!

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

mcerd1

posted on 10/1/10 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've got some thing similar on my 'if I win the lottery' list

-

morcus

posted on 10/1/10 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
You can get solar heating systems that work through having black radiators on the roof, it won't be all your heating needs but its worth doing. The heating and isulation you should use depends on what kind of doors your going to have and what sort of ventilation you run. Your probably safest with electric heating of some sort but it won't be cheap.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

iank

posted on 10/1/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Worth reading this series
http://autospeed.com/cms/search/index.html?keywords=Building+a+Home+Workshop&x=19&y=9

Sounds brilliant if a touch expensive.
The more floor area the better for building kits IMO, and lots of storage.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Confused but excited.

posted on 10/1/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Beer fridge and microwave.

Edit: Oh, and a comfy chair for pondering in comfort.

[Edited on 10/1/10 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Rod Ends

posted on 10/1/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Start here: www.garagejournal.com
ashg

posted on 10/1/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
this is the one i plan to build once the car is finished

15m across the back with the main bit 9mx9m

rough cost inc electrics and insulation will be around the 5-6k mark

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

maartenromijn

posted on 10/1/10 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
What about this? Why do you want / can you build up to 4 m?

Garage sketch
Garage sketch

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

JoelP

posted on 10/1/10 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
insulate as best you can, as the large metal machines will pick up condensation as they go up and down the temperatures.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Boost69

posted on 10/1/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Wow thats some size, when I built mine it had to be done to the same regs as the house, so its well insulated! Its 6m x 9m, I also fitted attic roof trusses, to create an upstairs, if yours is 8m wide the roof space will be fantastic. I partitioned the rear off for a workshop, had to use fire doors internelly too, I would also suggest a pedestrian door aswell as the main door. Don't forget about drainage if you are putting a sink in there (that's a godsend when your hands are mucky) no more complaints about mucky finger prints on the kitchen sink! And don't let your other 1/2 use it for storage, freezers, fridges etc (except beer fridge!)
rusty nuts

posted on 10/1/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
4 meters to the roof should be plenty of height to get a car up on a 2 poster lift (It is in my case ) Much safer than a pit, will not fill with water, doesn't take up much more than the width of a car and is a damn site easier to work on the car
designer

posted on 10/1/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going that large it could be better to split into two.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fazerruss

posted on 10/1/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
From a cost point of view mine that im building at the moment is not quite as big as that . It measures 9.2M long 5.6M wide at back and 3.6M at front (sort of wedged shape). It has a pitched roof 3.8 M high in the middle (or will have when the snow clears and i can get on with fitting the rafters!) so I can get a car lift in there. So far total spend is £6400 and I still need to buy..
a window
guttering
soffits
lead flashing
2 garage doors

So total should be just over £7k but that is because ive done EVERYTHING myself from drawing up the plans to driving the digger ,concreteting ,collecting blocks,bricklaying. The only labour i paid for was £120 for a structural engineer to calculate the size of the girders and rafters for the roof.
It should be a nice place to play in as it is also having roof windows for some natural light .

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

gregs

posted on 10/1/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
All REALLY helpful comments. Has anybody got any experience of steel sheet workshops/garages (like in the link posted) used in the UK rather than Oz. I know there are lots of them about....

Good tip about comfy seats.... might need a new post on which barge has the most comfy (perhaps leave that for another day...!)

posted on 10/1/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Dividing into two with some sort of partition has two advantages.

One side can be kept clean while the other can be used for the dirty jobs, grinding, welding, spraying, etc.

And secondly in the depths of winter a smaller work area to heat makes life a little more pleasant.

Paul G

Andybarbet

posted on 10/1/10 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt go for metal buildings because they seem to be very cold. I have heard that wood is great because you get less condensation ?

My garage is half integral to the house and its good to work in most of the year round, worst bit is the metal up and over door, its on my list of things to do, i.e. double skin, draft proof and insulate.

I like the idea of roof windows mentioned earlier in this thread, you cant beat natural light.

Another good idea i heard was skirting board height strip lights - would be very useful when working low down on the car.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.