Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sikaflex - Tigerseal or other
l0rd

posted on 11/10/10 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Sikaflex - Tigerseal or other

I will be off to Greece in 2 weeks time on holidays. I need to bond the bodykit on my tintop while i am there.

What should i use so i don't make a mistake and which is the best place and cheapest place to get it from?

Bodykit is ABS plastic i believe as it is the genuine manufacturer's bodykit.

FASTdan

posted on 11/10/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
sikaflex is very good, but will NEVER come off if you ever need to remove it.

I find silicone sealer works well if you can clamp the kit firmly.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Peteff

posted on 11/10/10 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Either of those or most things labelled as pu adhesive as used by decorators or builders. Google round and you'll find it under various names.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

balidey

posted on 11/10/10 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Sikaflex CAN come off. It depends if you use Sika Sealer or Sika Adhesive. You can use both products for both applications, and many people confuse the two with just using the name Sika. (like saying to use 3M sticky tape or Loctite.... which one?)
And for it to stay on very well you need to key, clean and prime the surface.
The Sika we use at work is 552, which is the adhesive. Very good stuff

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

boggle

posted on 11/10/10 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
tger seal is good......silicone is not good for your paint and will cause you issues if you try to paint over it.

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

craig1410

posted on 11/10/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I attached my cycle wings to their brackets using "Serious Stuff" which I think is made by Evostik and can be bought at B&Q etc. It is white, comes in a black cartridge and is very very strong. After my cycle wing brackets broke I had to remove the wing from the remains of the bracket and it was not at all easy!

It also remains useable for longer than the PU adhesives which very quickly go off once you open the tube. Even an unopened tube has a relatively short shelf life.

I hope this helps,
Craig.

[Edited on 11/10/2010 by craig1410]

l0rd

posted on 11/10/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
So, how much should i get? 1 or 2 bottles?

I need to fit 2 sideskirts

The rest should just bolt on.

NS Dev

posted on 12/10/10 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe of use or not, but Toolstation sell a PU adhesive (PU40) as I think do screwfix, which is basically, to my untrained knowledge, the same as tigerseal (I now use it on all customer cars instead of sikaflex or tigerseal) for £3.67 per tube, which is a lot cheaper than most!

here's a link:

toolstation pu40

as I say, I make no claims vs tigerseal or sika products, but I use it to bond bodywork very successfully, and its not a diy product like gripfill or pinkgrip et-al which are not much cop in automotive applications

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

l0rd

posted on 12/10/10 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.