Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I think this is a scam but can anyone help
quinnj3

posted on 12/10/10 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I think this is a scam but can anyone help

Hi all,

I posted my PS3 on gumtree last night and recieved an email this morning from an interested buyer. His email was sent at shortly after 2am!!. Anyway here it is. Can you take a rerad and let me know. Ps I live in Northern Ireland.

1st email
quote:

Is Ur Item Still Available For Sale and What Ur firm price?

my reply

quote:

Yes, its still for sale, I'm looking as close to the asking price as possible. I've got quite a few replies and it was only posted last night. Thanks for your interest.

2nd email

quote:

Thanks for your quick response, how much exactly do you want to sell this item for me and what is the present condition of it. Do get back asap for fast transaction. Thanks

my 2nd reply

quote:

I would take £215. I'm losing alot of money off the price I bought it for but I don't use it and could do with the money.

his 3rd email

quote:

Thanks for the mail, i agreed with the price and condition, so,i willlike to buy it urgently.I would have come to pick it up but i'ampresently out of town, as am presently in Scotland. So i will offeryou £270 including the shipping to my address in London and i willlike to get you paid via PayPal. Kindly get back to me with your fullname and PayPal account or you should send me PayPal money request soas to make the payment right away. Hope to read from you soon.Regards

His email comes up as James Luis.

I'm pretty sure its a scammer but I'd like other opinions. Obviously I don't want to put off genuine buyers.

thanks guys

Jonny

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

speedyxjs

posted on 12/10/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure on this one. There is a more secure way of paying online (cant remember the site now) I would tell him you dont have a paypal account and ask to pay throught the other site (im sure someone will post it on here soon)

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

fesycresy

posted on 12/10/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
He buys it and tells PayPal it's damaged?

Or someone else signs for it and he denies receiving it?

He claims all his money back within 45 days.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

tony-devon

posted on 12/10/10 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
give him your bank account number and sort code, even better if its one you dont really use

he pays into that, and all safe then.

your not giving out anymore info that would be written on a cheque, nothing they can do with acount and sort code

thats the only way I will sell something of proper value now

I lost a very expensive item, and the cash thru paypal, they always side with the buyer.

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 12/10/10 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
looks like a scam to me. just tell him you don't do paypal and he will have to pay using postal order.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mad4x4

posted on 12/10/10 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
mmm sus why does his spell checker spell will like as willlike?

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

blakep82

posted on 12/10/10 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
the words 'fast transaction' worries me...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeRJ

posted on 12/10/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
That has scam written all over it. Why is he offering to pay £55 more than you are asking, surely the postage won't cost anything like that much? For some reason scammers nearly always ask for your "last price" or "firm price", this is a scammer hallmark for me.

Try not to use PayPal for stuff like this, it's far too easy for you to lose both the item you are selling and the money.

A direct bank transfer or postal order is safer, neither can be clawed back.

EDIT: take a look at the email headers and see where it's originating from, probably not the UK.

[Edited on 12/10/10 by MikeRJ]

quinnj3

posted on 12/10/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
And another email from another person. Both people are offering over the asking price of £230.

They are definately a scam. It could be a coincidence but both emails are from gmail.

quote:

Thanks for getting back,i Was introduce to this site by my boss in the office,You really havea nice item on here.I will like to purchase this item for a pastorfriend as a surprise gift and i will offer you £240.00 for the item.So i want you to get back to me with your PayPal email address orsend me PayPal money request ASAP because i will be paying for thisitem immediately. Here is my PayPal ID you will send the money requestto.(sarahstorm009@gmail.com) Looking forward to read from you.God Bless.

quinnj3

posted on 12/10/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I am very tempted to write a long email with lots of swearing to each person but I'm not sure on the legal comeback with online bullying etc etc.

what do you guys think.

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

MikeRJ

posted on 12/10/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just ignore them, not worth wasting your time sending abuse or stringing them along unless you are really bored
Brook_lands

posted on 12/10/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Scam, scam scam

Key bits

Request for "firm" price
Urgent purchase
Offer over your asking price
They are away / out of town at the moment.
Poor english

Had an almost idential one last night for a high value ebay item.

If you keep replying they will keep going as they think they have you on the hook.

If you can really be bother you could have some fun - but really ignore and get on with you life.

mookaloid

posted on 12/10/10 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quinnj3
I am very tempted to write a long email with lots of swearing to each person but I'm not sure on the legal comeback with online bullying etc etc.

what do you guys think.

Not worth the bother just delete and move on.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

jossey

posted on 12/10/10 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
if the paypal payment comes with the address showing as confirmed and you post by courier you will be fine.

ensure you only post to a confirmed address from a confirmed paypal buyer.

dave j

sounds like a blag though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 12/10/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Another key point to add 'how to tell its a scam' is they refer to the 'item'. Its a standard set of emails they send out.
if they do reply tell them the Sony PS1 will be sent out after payment. I bet they won't twig. Then you can send them a PS1

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

balidey

posted on 12/10/10 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Infact. Take their money and send them a brick.
EDIT: no, advertise a single house brick on the same site for the same price and then you can seriously send them the brick as that was the 'item' you had for sale go on.... dare you

[Edited on 12/10/10 by balidey]

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

speedyxjs

posted on 12/10/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
Infact. Take their money and send them a brick.
EDIT: no, advertise a single house brick on the same site for the same price and then you can seriously send them the brick as that was the 'item' you had for sale go on.... dare you

[Edited on 12/10/10 by balidey]

lol easy money if only temporary

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

boggle

posted on 12/10/10 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
once you receive the money, remove the card details from paypal and close the account....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

McLannahan

posted on 12/10/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I don't like the way the item itself is never mentioned - eg - "How much do you want for the PS3?" rather than "the item"

I'd say a scam and it's a template he's using that could apply to any item!

Ninehigh

posted on 12/10/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
What's his hurry? He wants it bought quick because his ticket to Nigeria is coming up

JoelP

posted on 12/10/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Definate scam. Id be concerned for anyone who thought otherwise to be honest.

Not only do they not seem to speak english, they come across as having never even spoken to anyone who knows english. Like they got an online translator to do it for them! So clearly not a UK resident.

Interesting first contact though, managing to use slang like 'Ur'. If they had kept that up then it would be a lot more believable.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

quinnj3

posted on 12/10/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, it was the first post that threw me a little. I had my concerns when I realised that the first email had been sent at 3am. Also the fact that I got 2 similar messages shortly after posting the advert knowing full well that I have purposely put a high price on the item. I was not expecting any interest for a while.

I'm hoping to get rid of the PS3 before christmas but I'm in no hurry and I'll try to hold out for a good price. If anyone here is interested drop me a pm.

Ninehigh

posted on 13/10/10 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Ill by it, wot is ur firm price and ill get it for quick transaction?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.