Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC doubts
locostinca

posted on 13/10/10 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
BEC doubts

Hi everyone,

First of all sorry for my English, and sometimes is hard to follow your automotive slang…
Sure that there are a lot of threads in the forum but is quite difficult to find my query's...
I’m starting locost project BEC using ZZR1100 engine and I’m facing a lot of doubts, I’ve no mechanical experience so hope somebody can help me:

-Sump, do I need to change it?? To solve oil surge? I saw someone change to GPZ900 but I don’t know if its really necessary.
-Ramair, the guy who sold me the engine told me that is impossible to use it without ramair system, is it true? Will I have less power if I change it for foamfilters?
-Clutch, do I need to change it??
-radiator, shall I use an auto radiator? Will it work OK or better about the cooling pressure? which one you recomend?

Thanks in advance.

In case of doubt, gas!!

boggle

posted on 13/10/10 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
is this a left hand drive car? i cant see how you would fit the steering column in with the engine position?

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

jossey

posted on 13/10/10 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I have very little mechanical knowledge and im using the zzr1100 engine (c model)

The gpx900r gives you much more room so is worth it. The oil surge i know little about.
Difference in depth
Difference in depth

image from guiness (thanks)

Air filter im not using any currently but im looking at a pipercross air filter.

Clutch. I will be using the existing clutch setup with my clutch pedal attached by cable to the clutch level which was used on the bike. This will stop applying too little or too much pressure on the clutch. And i can adjust the amount of pull by having adjusters on the level of the bike then a cable to the clutch pedal from the donor car.

I am using the standard radiator and i will replace the oil cooler so i can mount near the front of the car.
The standard rad should be ok and fits nicely under the nose cone. Some people have changed to a larger rad but i have seen a few people using the normal radiator without over heating issues.

Im also using steel tube down the side of the car which wil have fins on it to help cool the water a little more. A little like this

http://imghost.indiamart.com/data/O/X/MY-336369/Economisers4_250x250.jpg

thanks and good luck

David J

[Edited on 13/10/10 by jossey]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 13/10/10 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
welcome,

Are you in Peru?

-Sump. I don't know.
-Ramair. If you work out the numbers you find that there is no significant ram-air effect at car speeds. Ram air effect increases a the square of speed. Often the original airbox is good to retain though, and sucking hot air into the engine is often bad.
-Clutch. Probably not. Maybe try with original clutch and see if it works.
-Radiator. Any radiator that fits. VW Polo seems popular.

Someone with zzr experience will post I am sure.

Matt

dhutch

posted on 13/10/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, im not a expert on BEC, ive never owned one. But when i looked into the clutch issue the main train of thought was to leave whatevers in it in it and learn on that. Then as and when it goes (weeks/months/years) replace it with a up-rated but not over priced one.

Daniel

zilspeed

posted on 13/10/10 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding the ram air question, that's come up on here a few times recently.

Here's a quote from elsewhere regarding this issue. Pretty accurate, disregard the language.

ts cos they are for the ram air effect of the bikes air box,,,its a modification that zx9r owners do if they dont want to run the air box,,
as the air correction jet increases the amount of air to compensate for the pressured feed to the fuel bowls with the ram air affect,,, alot of people i spoke to including bogg bros do this to ther carbs as if your not running a closed air box and dont do it you find that the mixture leans off towards the top of the throotle as the air is coming from the aircorrection jet but the fuel bowl arnt pressurized so theres too much are

locostinca

posted on 13/10/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,
Thanks for your replies,

Boggle,, jajaja!! Peru?? No, I’m in Mallorca, Spain.

I’ve started as LHD but I think I’ll change to RHD due to the engine position, yesterday I commented that steering column will have no space for LHD using bike engine. The car will be only used for trackdays so I can change it if necessary …

Matt,regarding ramair, I’m quite confuse,I understood so that is the same to use this engine without airbox-ramair sytem which is not giving the blowing pressure necessary for car speeds (what is for u car speeds??) ,but does it mean that the ramair system is only working as for example on speeds over 87 Mph????

Jossey, would you send me some pics of your air filter system??

For the sump, I see that gpx’s sump are giving more room but I saw some R1 sump modify’s to solve oil surge, that’s why I thought we should do the same on zzr’s…

In case of doubt, gas!!

locostinca

posted on 2/11/10 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
I have very little mechanical knowledge and im using the zzr1100 engine (c model)

The gpx900r gives you much more room so is worth it. The oil surge i know little about.
Difference in depth
Difference in depth

image from guiness (thanks)

Air filter im not using any currently but im looking at a pipercross air filter.

Clutch. I will be using the existing clutch setup with my clutch pedal attached by cable to the clutch level which was used on the bike. This will stop applying too little or too much pressure on the clutch. And i can adjust the amount of pull by having adjusters on the level of the bike then a cable to the clutch pedal from the donor car.

I am using the standard radiator and i will replace the oil cooler so i can mount near the front of the car.
The standard rad should be ok and fits nicely under the nose cone. Some people have changed to a larger rad but i have seen a few people using the normal radiator without over heating issues.

Im also using steel tube down the side of the car which wil have fins on it to help cool the water a little more. A little like this

http://imghost.indiamart.com/data/O/X/MY-336369/Economisers4_250x250.jpg

thanks and good luck

David J

[Edited on 13/10/10 by jossey]

Hi David,

Do you meant GPZ900R sump, right??
GPX900r is rare for me!!

In case of doubt, gas!!

jossey

posted on 2/11/10 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
yes sorry gpz900r sump.

sorry mis spelt it.

i have just got my zzr1100 engine running fully.

just missing a little. and only firing on 3 cylinders.

i need to build a air filter get the carbs balanced.

cheers

dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.