Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Q Plates...
scootz

posted on 23/10/10 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Q Plates...

How do you look upon them?

My first foray into the kit-car world was with a Caterham. I had a spec in mind and 'Non-Q Plate' was right up there at the top! I probably passed over a few higher spec'd cars just because they had a 'Q'!

No idea why... wasn't snobbery... just seemed best to avoid!

Five or so years later and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, the Procomp I have is a 'Q' plate and I almost consider it a badge of honour!

[Edited on 23/10/10 by scootz]

It's Evolution Baby!

daniel mason

posted on 23/10/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
the lack of an emmisions test is a big plus!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/10/10 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason the lack of an emmisions test is a big plus!

plus i got a private plate for free with my q reg

my surname starts with the least used letter in the alphabet MR Q

Daddylonglegs

posted on 23/10/10 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'll end up with a Q-plate (eventually!), and I really don't see what the fuss is about. I look at the car, not the plate. The only people I have known to have an issue with them are those not in the 'know' about kit cars.

Just my opinion FWIW.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

gottabedone

posted on 23/10/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
There is an element of snobbery involved in the whole Q plate thing - your car must be a "replica" or a "kitcar" by those that either don't know or think that Q plates are beneath them.
The biggest issue for some may be that you cant change the index number.
As already said, to have an omissions test that you pass for not blowing too much smoke is a large bonus for some.
My GTM Rossa was on a Q and it never bothered me.

Steve

[Edited on 23/10/10 by gottabedone]

Dick Axtell

posted on 23/10/10 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Was overtaken yesterday by one of the most widely available kitcars - on a Q plate. Probably an ex-military example. Yes, it was a Land Rover!! Evidently fitted with a non-original engine, judging by the speed with which it passed me.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

rusty nuts

posted on 23/10/10 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Q reg on mine. Do I care? I can't see it from the drivers seat
02GF74

posted on 23/10/10 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm prejudiced against them for no good reasons.

One advantage is that you can then put on a personalised plate, not that you can see that from the driving posiiton either.

I think it is a qudos tjhing since a Q plate indicates home mades so lesser quality, some effort superior to mass produced cars, but alas many that are not.

(I know that ^^^^ is not english but I am hungry and am going downstairs to eat - figure it out )

Richard Quinn

posted on 23/10/10 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's a kit not a replica and it has bits from the kit manufacturer, cortina bits, sierra bits, new bits and custom made bits. Q plate seems quite appropriate really.

and, as the other Mr Q said above, it's as close as we'll get to a personalised plate!

fesycresy

posted on 23/10/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Well I must be in the minority.

I wanted a year plate and would have kicked off big time if they had given me a Q.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

scootz

posted on 23/10/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Why so?

It's Evolution Baby!

fesycresy

posted on 23/10/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've always associated Q plates with write offs.

I built my car to look like a Caterham, even with a lazer cut front grille. Last thing I wanted was a Q.

Would I buy a car on a Q? No, I don't think I would. It's a good job I'm one of the minority snobs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

mark chandler

posted on 23/10/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
My bike is a Q plate, made up of various bits in 1994, its an early fox eye fireblade.

I did not care 7 years ago when I purchased it, £1000 less than equivilent model on correct plates, but I can only insure as third party due to its history.

Could not care less myself

scootz

posted on 23/10/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
I've always associated Q plates with write offs.

I built my car to look like a Caterham, even with a lazer cut front grille. Last thing I wanted was a Q.

Would I buy a car on a Q? No, I don't think I would. It's a good job I'm one of the minority snobs

Fair comment...

It's Evolution Baby!

Dangle_kt

posted on 23/10/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
i dont care about my Q plate, and it annoys me each time I see "properly registered, not a Q plate" in adverts for kits.

Implying Q plates are not properly registered.

Grrrr.

Andybarbet

posted on 23/10/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Only reason i dont want mine registered on a Q is because the wife got me a nice private plate for it and i wont be able to transfer to a Q plate.

Not worth putting on my tintop as its specific to my kit once its built.

Other than that, it wouldnt bother me a bit.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/10/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
If I was shopping for a kit car I couldn't care less if it was a Q or not. In fact my Striker is on a Q. I consider private/vanity plates just about the worst ever waste of money, so being unable to transfer a plate would not be a consideration.

On a kit/special a Q plate is most unlikely to indicate anything suspicious with the history of the car, other than it being constructed from parts of different ages/origins.

I would be a bit more wary of it on an expensive tin top where a Q would tend to indicate something unusual in it's history. On an old banger then I wouldn't care so much, as long as the insurance companies weren't fussy.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/10/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
the lack of an emmisions test is a big plus!

However, note that the emissions standards of newly registered cars are now printed on the V5, so a new Q registered cars will have to pass the relevant emissions tests for the age of the engine fitted.

boggle

posted on 25/10/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
my sister has a private plate on her car.....it helps her to find it in the bluewater carpark

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Grimsdale

posted on 25/10/10 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
However, note that the emissions standards of newly registered cars are now printed on the V5, so a new Q registered cars will have to pass the relevant emissions tests for the age of the engine fitted.

my 2000 registered Q plated car has the details printed on the v5, but only once has it been tested to the correct limits! most of the time it gets tested to 'visible smoke'.

MikeRJ

posted on 25/10/10 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grimsdale
my 2000 registered Q plated car has the details printed on the v5, but only once has it been tested to the correct limits! most of the time it gets tested to 'visible smoke'.

MOT testers are a bit variable in their knowledge of this kind of thing, but I thought the computerised system looked up the relevant emissions standards for a car at the start of a test? Bit of a bonus if it doesn't work properly with Q plates though

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.