Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Spyder Silverstone Build Diary
scotspyder

posted on 3/5/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Came across this forum which made intertesting reading.
Chassis #1R the original development car believed to have been raced by Vic Moore with a Toyota engine and gearbox , was purchased in 1986 and competed in the Scottish Sprint and Hillclimb championships in a road sports car class with a Lotus engine and Bullit gearbox with some success and remains fully trimmed with the original purchaser.

The whereabouts of Chassis #3 is known, but is an abandoned project requiring a complete build.

chris-g

posted on 3/5/11 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Scottspyder. Thanks for that information. Its very interesting and good to know that the original is still in existence. I went to visit the Spyder factory a few weeks ago. Andy Widnall, the main man there, was telling me some stories about Vics racing sucess and the cars performance which led to it being banned as it was too fast.
Its amazing that after nearly 25 years chassis no 3 still requires building.
Something makes me think you know more than you are letting on. Do you own both the cars you talk about?

scotspyder

posted on 5/5/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
No#1R belongs to a member of our family, now "softened" for road use.
No#3 we believe the original owner died prior to building the car. The present owner may be willing to sell the parts if there was significant interest.

chris-g

posted on 7/5/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotspyder
No#3 we believe the original owner died prior to building the car. The present owner may be willing to sell the parts if there was significant interest.

I may be interested in some parts. I have sent a U2U.

SPYDER

posted on 11/6/11 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Here are a few pics of chassis #13. It belongs to Charles Schaub in Toledo.

The next two are of my car. Firstly in its original white, then in the condition I bought it in...

Finally some press pics...

Volvorsport

posted on 11/6/11 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
chassis pics ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

chris-g

posted on 12/6/11 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
chassis pics ?

Its not the best but there are some more in my photo archive.

Temptedok

posted on 24/6/11 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
With apologies to Chris-g the original poster, but this thread seems to have become more than just his build diary, but we still want more updates please.

It was great to see a Spyder Silverstone at Newark on the Saturday. Not sure about the yellow wheels, but I stiil loved the car and had a good chat with Geoff.

My old one was reg Q367UWP, but I did not have it long. The original builder was in the Malvern area, and built it for sprinting so used 13 inch wheels, and set it up extremely low. The first thing I did was visit Spyder Engineering for new springs/shocks to raise the ride height, and Andy Widnall got out a jack and changed them for me on the spot! Great person to deal with, and he showed me his own metallic blue Silverstone.

The vendor passed my contact details to Steve Morris, who was desperate to own a Silverston and kept increasing his offer until I could not refuse to sell - bad decision on my part but the mortgage, kids etc etc, so thats the one now (still?) racing in N Ireland. Don't know the chassis number because everything I had went with the car.

So, with so few built in total, are there any for sale at present?

chris-g

posted on 24/6/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Temptedok. If I could change the name of the thread to "Spyder Silverstone discussion" then I would, anyone know how its done? Thanks for the information about your car, have you got any photos to post on here? As for Geoff's yellow wheels, most people are not sure about them and keep telling him to change the colour but he likes them and that all that matters.

As for updates, things have been a bit slow due to funding problems earlier in the year. Recently I have been doing some anodising, see my other thread here http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=156650
Here are some the parts for the Silverstone that I have been anodising.

This is the battery clamp

Boot hinge components

Closer view of one of the boot hinges

The hinges fitted to the boot box and boot lid

I am very pleased with the results and its really easy to do.

D Beddows

posted on 25/6/11 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
One of the best/most interesting threads on here for ages and worth a bump to keep it above the dross Keep it coming!
Dick Axtell

posted on 25/6/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
One of the best/most interesting threads on here for ages and worth a bump to keep it above the dross Keep it coming!

Seconded!! Several years ago, while I was still in gainful employment, (in the motor industry - we still had some then!), we had to visit Spyder Engineering at Peterborough. This visit concerned another vehicle project, this one an off-roader for the military. We discovered that these guys were into auto engineering in a pretty big way, and were really impressed with their products.

We talked to Vic Moore, who told us that his bank manager had told him to stop making the Silverstone, as the project was losing money big time, (this was way back in early 1990s). They were well into Lotus restoration, providing an upgraded and improved chassis for the Elan. See pic :-

Great to hear that they're still going.

[Edited on 26/6/11 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

SPYDER

posted on 25/6/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Latest chassis whereabouts then.........

#1 was reportedly never a completed car.
#2 was the factory racecar, campaigned successfully by Vic Moore. I believe this one now resides in Andorra.
#9 belongs to TonyH and is still in regular use.
#12 is mine.
#13 lives in Toledo, Ohio, owned by Charles Schaub.
#21 lives in Nottingham, owned by the OP's friend, Noble.
#22 lives in Nottingham, owned by Chris, the OP.
There's one in N.Ireland, owned by Steve Morris.
There's one in the West Country and another was recently damaged in a fire. Can't remember where.
Three chassis turned up on US Ebay a couple of years ago. One had a BDG engine.

The reference in a previous post to a " metallic blue Silverstone" at Spyder Engineering is interesting. Charles's car, #13, is metallic blue. This may have been a factory colour then. I had always thought that Charles had resprayed his.

FIRE DAMAGED CAR STORY LINK>>CLICK HERE Interesting valuation.

chris-g

posted on 25/6/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
another was recently damaged in a fire. Can't remember where.

The poor guy who owns that car had another one before. It was stolen and burnt out, its remains are currently residing at the Spyder factory where is due to be repaired.
I went for a visit to factory in March. A friend was going to buy some bits for his Elan so I blagged a lift. There was some very nice stuff there, a row of Elans parked out side, some esprit's and some europas inside along with a replacement elan chassis being built up. Andy Widnall was happy to talk about the Silverstone and Vics racing adventures. Apparently Vic was banned after 3 races for being too fast, 11 seconds a lap too fast, due mainly to the fact that the Silverstone was the only car with fully independent rear suspension.

Temptedok

posted on 26/6/11 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Another tale about the car which I think Smokey bought. After my brief ownership of the (now) Steve Morris car I have always wanted another, so this is one that I looked at.

The car was for sale near Shrewsbury, after the original builder died. It was nice enough, with its n/a Cosworth, but there were 2 issues I could not resolve -

First - title rested with the builders wife, and the guy selling was 'recovering storage costs'. There was no paperwork showing notice had been served on the widow and nothing to say that the seller had any right to own or sell the vehicle. He would not give details of the widow or let me contact her, and it all felt a bit dodgy.

Second - The registration document read 'Renault 19 convertable'. In other words a registration fiddle which taken with the above, led me to walk away.

So Smokey, how did you resolve these issues?

Volvorsport

posted on 26/6/11 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
they do indeed look well engineered , are those triumph front uprights ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

chris-g

posted on 26/6/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
they do indeed look well engineered , are those triumph front uprights ?

Yes, they are Triumph GT6 I believe. They are very well engineered, too well engineered to have been viable. At the time were an expensive kit, in the region £10000 if you bought all the components from Spyder, less if the builder sourced donor parts.

Smokey

posted on 18/11/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Spyder registration - Temptedok

Hi Temptedok,

sorry - not been online for ages......

all I will say is that foul means were used to register the vehicle!

I found an old kit car for sale for a couple of hundred quid that had a misprint in the vehicle title and so became a unique car that I could use on a certain other car..............impossible to prove otherwise!

I did look at Trevor's race car with the duratec engine but he wants 5 figures for it which is outside my budget....fast car though!

chris-g

posted on 18/11/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I know Trever spent a fair amount on the duratec, exhaust and fitting. Are you allowed to say how any figures he wants for it? Does it still have the doors with it? Does the car look as good as it goes? Any photos of it? My friend went to see that exact same car many years ago when it was for sale in Kings Cliffe. He didn't buy it as he already owned a Silverstone.
Temptedok

posted on 19/11/11 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Well done Smokey. You are obviously more 'inventive' than I am! (I nearly said devious, but that would have been unfair because you achieved legality).

Chris-g, how far have you got with IVA? Can you update us on your situation?

Incidentally I have some original brochures for the car, including the Component Information list with various part numbers, although I dont know what good an Austin Rover Group part number is these days. Also 2 reprints of road tests, and a sew-on cloth Spyder badge! Wow!

chris-g

posted on 19/11/11 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Temptedok. Is that the cloth badge, articles and order form that were on ebay earlier this year? I was going through my paperwork the other day and came across a hand written note from Vic Moore to Peter, the chap who built my car. In it Vic talks about a chap called Bob Savages from Worcester who has experience with the Toyota powered Silverstone. Is that who you bought your first car from?
As for my car, I am sorry that I have not been updating this thread but I hope to give more details soon. For now I can say it is fully working, has a VIN and is booked in for an MOT on Monday.

SPYDER

posted on 16/1/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis #6 has turned up on the "madaboutkitcars" forum. It belonged to username "millhouse2". Actual name unknown. It was registered in 1991 and has recently been exported to France. Silver in colour. Toyota 2TG engine. Hopefully photos to follow...

Latest chassis whereabouts then.........

#1 was reportedly never a completed car.
#2 was the factory racecar, campaigned successfully by Vic Moore. I believe this one now resides in Andorra.
#6 built by "millhouse2" and exported to France.
#9 belongs to TonyH and is still in regular use.
#12 is mine.
#13 lives in Toledo, Ohio, owned by Charles Schaub.
#21 lives in Nottingham, owned by the OP's friend, Noble.
#22 lives in Nottingham, owned by Chris, the OP.
There's one in N.Ireland, owned by Steve Morris.
There's one in the West Country and another was recently damaged in a fire. Can't remember where.
Three chassis turned up on US Ebay a couple of years ago. One had a BDG engine.

SPYDER

posted on 20/1/12 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Well it seems like another Silverstone may have surfaced, this time in Tallahassee, USA.
It's on the " British car forum".
I've registered with them and I'm trying to get some details. All I know at the moment is that it was registered in 1986 and is being restored.

[Edited on 20/1/12 by SPYDER]

carsy4347

posted on 24/1/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Spyder Build !!

Gents,
Very interesting thread, and made even more interesting to me, by the fact I have just taken ownership, of an unregistered, unbuilt original Spyder chassis ! It has came to me with many parts for the build, however, being a relative new-be to this process, I will be requiring as much info as possible on the build process, and more importantly, the donar parts required !
All and Any info would be greatly appreciated on the parts required to complete this absolute gem. Does anyone have an original list of parts etc?
Many Thanks

SPYDER

posted on 24/1/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there carsy and welcome to LCB. I would guess that you have bought chassis#3 as referred to by scotspyder in an earlier post.
Firstly, congratulations! You have bought a real gem of a car. What parts did it come with? Engine? Gearbox? Do you have all the necessary glassfibre bits?
The donor parts list is quite eclectic.
Steering rack....LHD Mini mounted upside down
Diff...Sierra
Brake master cylinder....London taxi I am led to believe
Binnacle and stalks....Metro
Front uprights and brakes....GT6
Front hubs..specials to give Ford PCD
Radiator is usually a Spyder special but mine has an early Metro alloy jobbie.
There apparently never was a factory build manual but a set of photos were included with each module of the kit.
We have some literature, parts list and catalogues but nothing document-wise to help you building it.
We do, however, have boundless enthusiasm.
Tell us where you are. Post some pics if possible.

Like Chris G said earlier "we'll soon have enough people to form an Owners Club!"

Here are a couple more pics of my car...

Geoff.

carsy4347

posted on 24/1/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Folks !!

Geoff,
Nice to hear from you and thank-you for the response.
It could very well be the #3 chassis, it came from dundee, I will check serial numbers tomorrow in the daylight, as I only got the car tonight ! No engine or gearbox came with it, so im interested in what I can put into it?
It has come with the following,
full chassis complete,
body work pieces( including front and rear arches), but no bonnet.
full rear linkage, (but no coilovers, so which type would i need?)
steering rack (make unknown so which type suits?)
full front linkage(including coilovers but make unknown)
2 rear hubs(make unknown, so which type suits)
2 rear drive shafts(make unknown, so which type suits)
2 front hubs(make unknown, so which type suits, i pressume they are ford)
Brake lines have been fully fitted to each corner, and finished off with braided hoses, but there are no calipers(which type suits?)
Pedals are installed, master cylinder is installed, all bodywork panels have been done, but require finishing.
ALL parts, are/where brand new, however, they have been open to the elements, and require re-vamping !
I have a box of other various bits and pieces that I will go through tomorrow.
Thanks in advance !!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.