Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: play in output shaft? normal or not?
aka Keith

posted on 8/11/11 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
play in output shaft? normal or not?

following on from my other note about clunking in 4th gear, I found that I have some lateral movement (up and down and side to side) in the outshaft from the gearbox.

Can someone let me know if this is meant to occur, or do you think that mayby one of the bearings has gone?

Engine is a zx9r.

cheers
Craig

owelly

posted on 8/11/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
How much play? It's ok to have a teeny bit of play but if it's a waggle, it's too much!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
aka Keith

posted on 8/11/11 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
How much play? It's ok to have a teeny bit of play but if it's a waggle, it's too much!

Owelly, It is probably a mm or a couple of mm play.

MakeEverything

posted on 8/11/11 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds far too much to me. The output shaft shouldnt have any play at all, but up to about 0.5-1mm in total (0.25-0.5mm either side) would be where i would be looking. Any more than that and youll start to damage the transmission IMO.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

aka Keith

posted on 8/11/11 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I would bet the bank on it being more than 0.5-1mm play..any ideas on the normal culprit? it is normally a baring gone? easy to fix?

Cheers
Craig

owelly

posted on 8/11/11 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I've had plenty of bike 'boxes in bits but not one like yours but from experience, it will be a worn bearing. Overtightening the chain causes the output shaft bearings to fail. I've known an output bearing to sieze which wrecked the shaft and casings but you'd know if that was the case. If the seal is still holding the oil in, then chances are a new bearing should sort it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
aka Keith

posted on 8/11/11 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks owelly,

looks llike I have going to have to break the car down and crack the engine...either replace the bearing or the complete box either way....ooo what fun.

Is replacing the bearing as easy fix? or is it an engine out job?

cheers
Craig

[Edited on 8/11/11 by aka Keith]

twybrow

posted on 8/11/11 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
0.5-1mm? That really isn't a lot of movement, especially given it is at the end of a shaft (so will appear worse)...
owelly

posted on 8/11/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Every bike I've played with required the engine casings to be split to get at the gearbox gubbins.

ginger ninja

posted on 13/11/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've split a zx9c box when third gear started leaping out of mesh. Having never split a bike box , I followed the Haynes manual - it was relatively straight forward, but take your time there are some delicate bits, particularly the oil transfer pipes which need pulling out and are succeptible to bending.

Oh, it worked fine when reassembled, apart from leaking oil from the joint between the casings - tip make sure you get the jointing compound on all the mating surfaces. With hind sight I must have missed a bit / spread it too thin !

hope it goes OK

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.