Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9 E gear selection
ginger ninja

posted on 18/3/12 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9 E gear selection

afternoon chaps

just done engine swap to low milage engine. managed to select 1st gear, neutral light goes off and it drives. seems to be locked in gear now, cant get neutral. I've tried rocking the car back and fouth, still unable to get out of gear. Anyone had a similar problem ? I know about the Kawasaki ball lock sleeve which prevents any gear other than first being selected until gearbox is spinning, wouldn't have thought this would be a problem.

Just wondered if there was something obvious I'm missing beore I start taking engine out..... AGAIN !!!!

Andy B

posted on 18/3/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
There are 6 holes in the gearshift and 3 ball bearings that form the inhibitor. 3 holes are tapered to retain the ball bearings, 3 holes are uniform all the way through and if the ball bearings are placed in these holes at a rebuild are free to fly right out and jam. I have seen this on at least 4 Zx9 s following rebuilds. Might be something else but it's a fair chance that this would cause your symptoms
Hope that helps
Andy

ginger ninja

posted on 18/3/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thank Andy

sounds like motor out in any event then. Bloody anoying since it pulled like a train from first through to third, and gear change worked fine back down again. drove back into garage and stopped engine, all fine. tried to knock into neutral push nearer to wall - no joy. tried rocking still unable to disengage first. Even jacked a rear wheel and turned by hand, still locked in.
Engine has been stood a long time, could be one of the small balls have become stuck in the holes.
If this proves to be the cause, is it whorthwhile removing the balls altogether ?

thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.