Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Off Road RC car wanted (cheap as poss!)
Steve Hignett

posted on 9/9/12 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
Off Road RC car wanted (cheap as poss!)

Hi All,

I'm after an RC car and find it quite bewildering to look through ebay for one...
First of all, I'haven't any knowledge of what's good or bad anymore (did I ever?!) and so am happy to talke advice from people on here re there own as I still believe this is a forum that has quite trustworthy members on the whole...

So, I'd like something either 2 or 4 WD. With the ability to run well on grass, cut grass, not too long etc.
Take on some small ish jusmps without being destroyed, able to be knocked about (it's for me to use with my son, who is probably too young to appreciate it yet, but nevermind - it's for me too!)

Like everyone on here, I would love it if it were carbon chassis with a 20 hp motor, but in reality (at least to get into it) I think I'd be best with something that already had a few knocks and battle scars etc.

I would love it if "you" could sell it to me with all the gear already, as I have found in the past that certain items that appear bagains soon cease to be so, if you have to acquire half a dozen other nits n bobs...

So, what have you got???
Would love pics too, if that's possible - will give my email address out to U2U'ers that show me an interest...

As an alternative, if there are people on here that have a tiny bit of time on their hands and are knowledgeable about RC cars, but might not want to sell me anything (or sell it cheap enough for me to afford!), if these guys, (or girls) would mind having a look at ebay and sending me a couple of links to read up on, then I'd appreciate that too!

Thanks in advance, and kind regards,

Steve.

RickRick

posted on 9/9/12 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
2WD is probably the way forward, there cheaper, easier on batterys and speedcontrols, and less to go wrong.
not sure what your budget is, but there's the associated b4.1 ready to run car, or the ansmans http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?Manufacturer=1&ManufacturerID=1154&gclid=CIjtxOXpp7ICFVF0fAodEEoA6g
the mad monkey seems quite popular, you'll need batterys and a charger to go with i think, either of these cars would be fine for racing too if the bug hits. if it's just going to be bashing then maybe look at the ansman short course trucks

mikeb

posted on 9/9/12 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
I've got one I could sell, thunder tiger eb4 s2.5 4wd nitrogen buggy, only used twice, as new. Ready to run 2.4ghz
RickRick

posted on 9/9/12 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
I don't like Nitro's
But there are + and - to both
Nitro's need tuning regularly to go with temp/humidity ect, when there right there fast, there messy, but they do sound great, and you just fill up and go again, engines don't last that long so pick one you can buy piston and liner kits for
Electric cars can be faster than nitro with brushless and lipo now but there not that cheap, there clean and quiet so won't annoy the neighbours, but with only one battery you'll have atleast a 30 minute wait between runs, though a decent lipo and a lower power motor 19t brushed or 10.5 brushless should see easy 10mins runs probably 15. lipo's can also be damaged resonably easily if not looked after correctly

Canada EH!

posted on 9/9/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have a little experience with R/C, my son is # 3 in Canada, and is the orginizer of the Tamiya Canada Series.
I built most of the display models of Tamiya cars for the showroom. I bought his first car at age 6 he is now 36 so a little experience.
Buy a 2 wheel drive electric, put it together yourself (not ARF). Buy a 2 channel radio, and 2, 7.2 2000ma batteries and an inexpensive charger.
This will get you started, go have fun, break it,fix it. learn, and go again.

When your skills improve go and get better stuff, plus you will now have an idea of what you like and need.

My sons cars cost in the thousands and so do the radios but he is a profesional and needs to stay current, you don't.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.